REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 266 guests

How much pain do you live with??

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

BoarIcon...08-11-2007 @ 21:16 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25563 posts
Administrator
im pretty lucky to have no problems at my tender age of 36 , i think my lower back is prone to injury if i dont get my form bang on in the deadlift,so there may be a weak spot or some damage in there, fingers crossed and all that.
RickIcon...08-11-2007 @ 22:23 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Very very little. My knees are very noisy but these days they're not all that sore - mind you, I don't do any running or jumping, I suspect impact would f**k them over again very quickly. The bicep tendonitis seems to have cleared up. All I really have at the moment is the nagging foot problem (mostly ok now) and a tender right calf the day after squatting.
HaydenIcon...08-11-2007 @ 22:27 
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Bad sciatica is my only thing really. Only bothers me in the mornings too.
RobIcon...09-11-2007 @ 14:22 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Very interesting question, which also ties in with 'how much pain would you put up with?'.

My view is undoubtedly softer than a lot that have already commented, to my detriment in developing as a lifter no doubt, but I just want to enjoy life whilst enjoying training - I don't want to live with pain all the time or perhaps be at a stage where I can't do normal things like run around with kids or play other sports later in life.

Another thing I don't agree with is long term use of ibuprofen etc. to mask injuries - after prolonged use I suspect their use would become very limited, to the point where you simply just have to stop training because you haven't tackled the root cause (easier said than done if it's something like age I agree) - an example might be the cartilage in the knees wearing completely away. Plus there are then the issues of what it does to the liver and other side effects.

It's a sad fact that a lot of the best lifters seem to die relatively early - obviously excessive drug use is another major factor here, but that's another topic.

You have to be a nut to excel and achieve truly great things, and I take nothing away from the lifters who devote themselves to achieving the levels they do by training through or with permanent pain, it's just not for me.
NeilIcon...09-11-2007 @ 14:36 
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Rob said:
You have to be a nut to excel and achieve truly great things, and I take nothing away from the lifters who devote themselves to achieving the levels they do by training through or with permanent pain, it's just not for me.

Nor me really. I have quad pulls or something from playing footy but apart from the odd achy muscle here and there from time to time I haven't got any long-term problems... YET! I've got footy training tonight and a match on Sunday so I'll know more about my legs and the possibility of getting back into squatting on Monday.
PeteIcon...09-11-2007 @ 17:16 
has spent time in a modern educational setting
Member 47, 1221 posts
Post Edited: 09.11.2007 @ 21:29 PM
Let's see:

The most annoying/painful ones

Right Ankle: Constant discomfort - can't afford to go and see a physio (strapped it up nicely with physio tape at the weekend - worked well)

Right Foot: I think this is caused by walking strangely because of the ankle

Right Shoulder: Only painful when I lift; not during everyday stuff

Not as bad:

Upper back muscles(near the neck) get very sore even when not lifting - might be a tendon thing?

Lower back - right hand side - dull ache very regularly

Fairly rare:

Tendonitis in right forearm - Fairly infrequent these days

Spasms right through the base of my spine - again not too often but agony when it happens

Not painful but worrying:

My spine seems to click into different places and makes lots of noises
nicoIcon...09-11-2007 @ 17:44 
just smoked Ed and Neil - EAT MY GOAL
Member 120, 1582 posts
interesting question this.

i have basically the same as most on here, a level of "background pain" that i consider normal.
This includes sore knees (rugby-general wear and tear) (especially if i have to kneel down at all), sore shoulders (rugby-trying to tackle people bigger than me)), sore shins (rugby-running)), aching wrists (rugby-badly healed breaks/dislocations).
I also have hip pain when squatting and slight discomfort all the time (build up of scar tissue) and some problems down my right side (something wrong with vertebrae in neck I think)

However, I consider myself in much better condition than 3 years ago when I stopped playing. When I pulled up outside the house after training and it took me 5 minutes to go from seated in the car to standing outside it a few times a week, I knew it was time to stopHappy

I am lazy about getting treatment and doing pre-hab and rehab so I can't really complain, although I don't think I'll be doing much running and jumping in 10-15 years time.
SparrowIcon...09-11-2007 @ 18:04 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
You're all a big bunch of moaning crybabies. Harden the f**k up!

Wink
mishimaIcon...09-11-2007 @ 18:07 
pink french superstar beard
Member 26, 4030 posts
SQ 190, BP 0, DL 205
395.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Pain is alright, it's part of the process of living.I dont have injuries, no serious wounds.
Tendonitis in my left elbow, wrists are a bit sore, thats all i can think of right now. I wouldnt call these painful in my case, rather annoying.
AlexIcon...10-11-2007 @ 03:01 
Picca Boo
Member 16, 1204 posts
SQ 140, BP 130, DL 200
470.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Rob said:
Another thing I don't agree with is long term use of ibuprofen etc. to mask injuries - after prolonged use I suspect their use would become very limited, to the point where you simply just have to stop training because you haven't tackled the root cause (easier said than done if it's something like age I agree) - an example might be the cartilage in the knees wearing completely away. Plus there are then the issues of what it does to the liver and other side effects.

Ibuprofen can also lessen muscle gains, I doubt it is significant enough to avoid taking it at all, but I would be hesitant to take it every day for a long period of time.
WiganIcon...10-11-2007 @ 10:28 
a cynical old scrote
Member 68, 6844 posts
SQ 255, BP 132.5, DL 250
637.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Rob said:
It's a sad fact that a lot of the best lifters seem to die relatively early

Not sure how true this is Rob, I've never really heard of any premature deaths of top Oly Lifters. In fact if you take a look at the numbers of Oly Lifters in the over 60 masters classes in the European / World Masters events it seems to me to be more the opposite, longevity appears common place.

If by 'lifters' you include strongman competitors then in that instance i tend to agree, however, as ove the years there have been numerous deaths. Although i doubt very much this is any way related to the type of aches and pains that have been mentioned in this thread.

My opinion is that in any sport, and ours more than most, there is a certain amount of pain / discomfort you will almost certainly have to put up with to progress as much as you want.
SparrowIcon...10-11-2007 @ 10:47 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
I think rob's statement is diectly related to body weight. Big guys do die early, and a ot of the top lifters (strongmen, powerlifters or whatever) are big guys.
RobIcon...10-11-2007 @ 11:08 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
I was mainly thinking of strongmen, it would be interesting if there were some sort of statistics to show average death rates in the different strength sports - there have been a lot of heart attacks in bodybuilding too. An interesting question is why there may be more deaths in bodybuilding and strongman than powerlifting / olympic lifting. Perhaps because there former two aren't drug tested, so they can't stay on cycle for extreme periods of time without stopping?

Interesting point about the masters lifters Jeff, perhaps one reason for increased longevity is those within a weight class have to stay relatively fit to stay in those classes? ... I haven't personally seen much footage of many fatties unless they were in the top weight class (ala Chemerkin etc). Whereas in strongman and bodybuilding it's more about being as big / powerful as possible to succeed (putting aside U105 category in strongman which isn't really relevant with the elite guys).

Certainly I don't think use of painkillers are a remotely major factor in the deaths of those who die all, but I suspect long term abuse could certainly have some part to play.

I certainly agree with your last comment..

Jeff said:
My opinion is that in any sport, and ours more than most, there is a certain amount of pain / discomfort you will almost certainly have to put up with to progress as much as you want.

... the question is how much progress do you want!
little_aIcon...10-11-2007 @ 17:37 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Rob said:
An interesting question is why there may be more deaths in bodybuilding and strongman than powerlifting / olympic lifting. Perhaps because there former two aren't drug tested, so they can't stay on cycle for extreme periods of time without stopping?

Bodybuilding = 20+ stone men dieting down to 0 carbs and 0 fluid intake
Strongman = 20+ stone men being forced into cardio vascular intense activities
Powerlifting = limited restrictions on diet/ weight using maximum effort for minimal periods
Olympic lifting = limited restrictions on diet/ weight using maximum effort for minimal periods

Any speculation RE drugs use in any of the above is IMO not relevent as it is widespread across the board. To say 'these do but they dont' is at best a naive and inexperienced view.
paul_richardsIcon...13-11-2007 @ 00:22 
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
- bad thorasic section of my back, stiff and causes me pain, usually stretching, cracking and mobilisation of the vertibrae helps but it never seems to go. As a result my right shoulder hunches forward which makes the problem worse

- just recovering from impingement in my right shoulder

- I seem to have a weak muscle on the bottom left side of my back which can get pulled by standing up off a chair sometimes.

Not too bad compared to some of you poor buggers

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions