Paul Savage training log

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 587588589 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

General_illIcon...27-02-2018 @ 17:12 
3rd place Europes strongest man 2016 U90kg
Member 1239, 13275 posts
SQ 280, BP 155, DL 310
745.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
This all points to my earlier post and I ain’t being a dick. Strongman is hard on be body and your it seems can’t take it. I don’t put anywhere near as much thought into recovery and training as you write about in here. But I’m far less injury prone. And regularly max out weight and reps. I’m even older than you are.
JackRevansIcon...27-02-2018 @ 17:43 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
RebeccaRoberts said:

This i believe to be because ive not been able to give him massages

Have you still been massaging his phallus?
slimsimIcon...27-02-2018 @ 17:47 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
General_ill said:This all points to my earlier post and I ain’t being a dick. Strongman is hard on be body and your it seems can’t take it. I don’t put anywhere near as much thought into recovery and training as you write about in here. But I’m far less injury prone. And regularly max out weight and reps. I’m even older than you are.

This is a very good point. Some peoples joint/tendons/cartilage whole physiology just isn't robust enough to take the beating that strongman dishes out. Just like some people aren't up to being professional snooker players as they can't judge angles that well, this is the same.

Maybe it would be best to try something which isn't quite as demanding on the body. Weightlifting maybe or powerlifting even?
PaulSavageIcon...27-02-2018 @ 17:55 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
General_ill said:This all points to my earlier post and I ain’t being a dick. Strongman is hard on be body and your it seems can’t take it. I don’t put anywhere near as much thought into recovery and training as you write about in here. But I’m far less injury prone. And regularly max out weight and reps. I’m even older than you are.

Yeah I agree with you completely other than the can't. It can if I I'm 100% on point with everything round the clock when pushing it. If I do that I'm ok it's just obviously very difficult to do. Genetics are genetics at the end of the day, at least I have a big frame and big hands.
ben66Icon...27-02-2018 @ 17:58 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
You should take up boxing instead Paul.

..oh...
PaulSavageIcon...27-02-2018 @ 18:07 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 27.02.2018 @ 18:10 PM by PaulSavage
slimsim said:
This is a very good point. Some peoples joint/tendons/cartilage whole physiology just isn't robust enough to take the beating that strongman dishes out. Just like some people aren't up to being professional snooker players as they can't judge angles that well, this is the same.
Maybe it would be best to try something which isn't quite as demanding on the body. Weightlifting maybe or powerlifting even?

It would I'm sure but for me it's not really a matter of choice. I've always had passion for grip/strongman. I never asked for it to be what I want to do, it just is.

Overall I've still never had any really serious injuries, never snapped a tendon or even a torn a muscle as far as I know and have managed to get far and beyond the strength level I imagined i could some years back / see no reason I can't keep going. I'm confident I'll bounce back and be putting huge numbers up this year. I did 7 20's and a 10 each side on hack squats for reps in just sleeves recently, did 60kg more on Romanians for the same reps/same form as my old pb on a day I was going easy, did my old axle push press pb for what 5-6 reps with +40kg of band tension added. I'm also the best part of 400lb nowadays. Obviously this is a blow but big picture I'm doing really well.
danbaseleyIcon...27-02-2018 @ 19:59 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4481 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
It would I'm sure but for me it's not really a matter of choice. I've always had passion for grip/strongman. I never asked for it to be what I want to do, it just is.
Overall I've still never had any really serious injuries, never snapped a tendon or even a torn a muscle as far as I know and have managed to get far and beyond the strength level I imagined i could some years back / see no reason I can't keep going. I'm confident I'll bounce back and be putting huge numbers up this year. I did 7 20's and a 10 each side on hack squats for reps in just sleeves recently, did 60kg more on Romanians for the same reps/same form as my old pb on a day I was going easy, did my old axle push press pb for what 5-6 reps with +40kg of band tension added. I'm also the best part of 400lb nowadays. Obviously this is a blow but big picture I'm doing really well.

The problem is that whilst shortened ROM hack squats might be a good option for someone lifting weights casually - or, perhaps even bodybuilding, if that was your thing - they mean virtually nothing to your ability to succeed in Strongman.

I can say this, as they are simply not a cornerstone of any successful strongman's training regime.

If they were, everyone would be doing short ROM hack squats.

Similarly short ROM RDLs might impress some people on Instagram. However, their effects on your training, in regards to success in strongman, appear to have been negligible.

And once again they don't appear to be used by successful competitors.

When you have undertaken full ROM, plate weight lifting - rather than factoring in total loads from accommodating resistance - your lifts have been significantly below the level one would expect, in terms of strength, to excel at the level of the competition which you are aiming for at the weight you are maintaining.

Despite a training regime which is both not particularly heavy and way off the mark in terms of specificity for someone who is at your experience level in strongman, you have repeatedly managed to injure yourself.

From what I can tell, you have managed to damage every part of at least one leg - above the ankle - in the last 8 weeks.

This suggests that whilst you are world class at Grip strength, you may not be able to undertake the rigours of strongman and/or your programming skills are way below the level you think they are.

(Many successful coaches in ssports have coaches themselves. It allows an independent critical eye to observe, analyse and adjust in as way which self-regulation simply cannot do for many)
danbaseleyIcon...27-02-2018 @ 20:10 
Member 1252, 4481 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Why not focus on grip strength - and just do squats, bench and deadlift on the side?

You might even find yourself in the mood for a powerlifting competition apropos of nothing. And whatever you lifted would be a competition PB.
PaulSavageIcon...27-02-2018 @ 20:36 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 27.02.2018 @ 21:09 PM by PaulSavage
How is this partial ROM? - https://www.instagram.com/p/BfRh6-igx8D/ They might not be Olympic lifting deep but that's basically impossible to do on this and I'm not an Olympic lifter but in no way is that partial ROM. I can't do any other kind of squatting with current bars I have at the gym, need an 8 foot bar or stronger ssb. Hack squats are great for car deadlift + farmers or frame picks. Deadlift stance hack squats (which these were) are also great for deadlifts. Your lack of knowledge on these things has no impact on there worth.

As for the rdl's you obviously haven't even so much as been following my log as I've only done them twice. George leeman swears by them for strength around the knee (below and above) so if you want to complain about them, complain to him, not me. You obviously missed the 4 breaks then a full lift with 320kg on an axle from 18" I did earlier in the prep, this was 40kg more than I'd previously lifted peaked and was nowhere near peaked. Assume that doesn't count because its a partial ROM even though it was literally an event in the comp. What about the axle pressing, none of that count because of the bands right? Take the 40kg bands away set for set and I still beat my previous pb by over 20kg and actually the 40kg of bands does count. Becca destroying every overhead event she's done in competition was no accident.

You can be as negative as you want and talk s**t about me not being good enough but makes no odds, I will just keep getting stronger and yes, at what matters. If it didn't have carry over Becca wouldn't have won every comp she's done using my training methods (this is obvious).

The only injury to legs I've had has been shins on the first day doing 40kg farmers and 135kg yoke walks. 99% would have went heavier than that.

An how the f**k is +300kg hack squats, 3-4" below the knee breaks to 350kg, and axle push presses to 171.5kg total not heavy? Are you currently training to beat eddies 500kg deadlift record or something?!
danbaseleyIcon...27-02-2018 @ 21:10 
Member 1252, 4481 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Full ROM Hack Squat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BelLmmxlxFQ/

Full ROM Hack Squat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4XvzyBBOi/

Full ROM Hack Squat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfrtSH8HX-a/

What you are doing is not full ROM. It is therefore partial ROM.

You actually deny it is a short ROM, before going on to say it is not full ROM. Only to say that it is full ROM. All in one stanza.

"How is this partial ROM? They might not be Olympic lifting deep but that's basically impossible to do on this and I'm not an Olympic lifter but in no way is that partial ROM."

Yeah, but no, but yeah.

(Also, weightlifters - just like powerlifters and, surprisingly, strong men - don't tend to use the hack squat as a fundamental building block of their training)

George Leeman. I wasn't aware that he was training for strongman? Isn't he the guy who sends out template training programmes with just the numbers changed to unsuspecting saps on the Web? Either way, you are not George Leeman and your leg health has not improved since doing them.

The 320kg deadlift was nice. However that was one rep. And the competition you were training for was 350kg for reps wasn't it?

The most successful strongmen on here - and the most impressive athletes on here - do not revel in the glory of what nobody ever called the corner stone of strength: the hack squat.

This is another target which you have aimed for - possibly against the better judgment of others - injured yourself in the process of following your "foolproof" training regime and successfully avoided the actual competition day.

A la boxing, making it to under 100kg, breaking the log lift record, etc.

In spite of this, the only person who is not to blame for another job well done is Paul Savage.

Your optimism is beyond reproach.
KevC86Icon...27-02-2018 @ 21:21 
Member 5141, 4211 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Just a small amendment, the deadlift is 370 for reps Dan, not 350. Its going to be bloody heavy, and the double digits required for a good place will be crippling.
PaulSavageIcon...27-02-2018 @ 21:21 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 27.02.2018 @ 21:26 PM by PaulSavage
danbaseley said:Full ROM Hack Squat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BelLmmxlxFQ/

Full ROM Hack Squat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4XvzyBBOi/

Full ROM Hack Squat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfrtSH8HX-a/

What you are doing is not full ROM. It is therefore partial ROM.

You actually deny it is a short ROM, before going on to say it is not full ROM. Only to say that it is full ROM. All in one stanza.

"How is this partial ROM? They might not be Olympic lifting deep but that's basically impossible to do on this and I'm not an Olympic lifter but in no way is that partial ROM."

Yeah, but no, but yeah.

(Also, weightlifters - just like powerlifters and, surprisingly, strong men - don't tend to use the hack squat as a fundamental building block of their training)

George Leeman. I wasn't aware that he was training for strongman? Isn't he the guy who sends out template training programmes with just the numbers changed to unsuspecting saps on the Web? Either way, you are not George Leeman and your leg health has not improved since doing them.

The 320kg deadlift was nice. However that was one rep. And the competition you were training for was 350kg for reps wasn't it?

The most successful strongmen on here - and the most impressive athletes on here - do not revel in the glory of what nobody ever called the corner stone of strength: the hack squat.

This is another target which you have aimed for - possibly against the better judgment of others - injured yourself in the process of following your "foolproof" training regime and successfully avoided the actual competition day.

A la boxing, making it to under 100kg, breaking the log lift record, etc.

In spite of this, the only person who is not to blame for another job well done is Paul Savage.

Your optimism is beyond reproach.

You obviously have never tried a matrix hack squat, if I went any deeper on it I would tear my quad off. None of those were on the same machine and none of them would go as deep if they were. Load 300kg on a matrix hack squat, squat it through the same range I did for 3 reps then get back to me.

I had 8 weeks after no strongman training in years and basically no real heavy gym lifting in years, to get to wsm level weights - the f**k did you expect? I made a lot of progress for 5 weeks and will continue to do so.

No, that's George leeman the former american deadlift record holder and someone who's done over 1000lb for reps from 18" easily (at my height). You done this too yeah?

Your trolling / attitude is completely pathetic. Go to your own log and try to bring yourself down with your bulls**t. You will never bring me down.
danbaseleyIcon...27-02-2018 @ 21:26 
Member 1252, 4481 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:Just a small amendment, the deadlift is 370 for reps Dan, not 350. Its going to be bloody heavy, and the double digits required for a good place will be crippling.

Well Paul hit 86% of the target weight for a single. Which is, on its own, a very impressive lift.

However, from what you have now made clear, it is somewhat off the pace of the double digits expected to place at this level.
PaulSavageIcon...27-02-2018 @ 21:39 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 27.02.2018 @ 21:40 PM by PaulSavage
danbaseley said:
Well Paul hit 86% of the target weight for a single. Which is, on its own, a very impressive lift.
However, from what you have now made clear, it is somewhat off the pace of the double digits expected to place at this level.

That was early on in the prep and after 4 breaks dumbass / f**k me I've just read your log and your last session was squatting 65kg for reps which must either be from a huge injury or because you have one leg!?! I also read the previous page a bit and you was on about a 70kg axle clean and press for 7 being a PB???? I could literally better that with one arm - how the f**k can you possibly think you know more about strongman than a guy who's night and day stronger than you and has coached someone to being undefeated world drug free champion from not training at all in a year??? Mind = boggled.
danbaseleyIcon...27-02-2018 @ 21:42 
Member 1252, 4481 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
That was early on in the prep and after 4 breaks dumbass / f**k me I've just read your log and your last session was squatting 65kg for reps which must either be from a huge injury or because you have one leg!?! I also read the previous page a bit and you was on about a 70kg axle clean and press for 7 being a PB???? I could literally better that with one arm - how the f**k can you possibly think you know more about strongman than a guy who's night and day stronger than you and has coached someone to being undefeated world drug free champion from not training at all in a year??? Mind = boggled.

Your girlfriend was strong before you met her. And would be strong without you.

I am not offering my services as an expert on training, diet and supplementation on the web.

12345678910 ... 587588589 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions