The overtraining bible: a complete guide

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 192021 ... 2223242526272829303132

tokarIcon...29-04-2007 @ 19:49 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
It was a shame the build up to the competition (including that bulls**t about not being allowed to weigh in) put you in such a bad frame of mind before you started lifting. I think it could have been very different if events beforehand had given you more confidence. And in any case, only failing two lifts and getting a PB deadlift (with no doubt more in the tank) is a pretty good return from your first competition in my opinion.

I hope you reconsider on the competition plans!
JonathanIcon...29-04-2007 @ 22:24 
the Ergbreaker
Member 19, 858 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 260
590.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Well done Jo. A solid performance, and excellent deadlifting. Not far off 2.5x bodyweight Grin
AlexIcon...30-04-2007 @ 00:52 
Picca Boo
Member 16, 1204 posts
SQ 140, BP 130, DL 200
470.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Don't beat yourself up, it was your first comp and you did well, I know I would be massively put off by all the people and the judges, also you did look very nervous, considering how calm a lot of the other lifters looked it's not suprising you found it difficult.

You're under no obligation to do it again if you don't want to, but if you do I'm sure you will feel better and be better prepared. Happy
HaydenIcon...30-04-2007 @ 01:23 
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Dont get yourself down about it. It was your first comp and with anything new it can be nerve racking. If you stuck at it im sure you would grow to love it. I am yet to compete but i know i may very well hate competing the first few times just because i will be as nervouse as anything. I wanna see you competing when i first enterHappy
CuddlesIcon...30-04-2007 @ 11:47 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I wont beat a dead horse Joe as if its not what you want to do then fair enough but dont be down on yourself, thats a great debut. Most lifters would be very happy with that in their first comp, let alone with your unlucky preperations thrown in too.

Id be happy if I were you!
jimblanchflowerIcon...30-04-2007 @ 13:35 
Teabagger for hire
Member 54, 237 posts
Well done Jo. You are being too hard on yourself. You produced a good performance on Sunday. All of the openers were nice and light- That is a sound strategy, but all of the third lifts were realy heavy. Competition lifting is different from the gym, it is never as easy. The targets that you should aim to beat next time, are your competition bests.

237.5 is a good solid total for your experience. Getting 7 from 9 is pretty good going when you are genuinely reaching with your third attempts. You have lots of potential, and even though you are in a small pond at the moment I think there is a real shance that you could make elite standard if you stick with it. Competing does get easier as you get used to it.

As for the late weigh-in; initially we were waiting for the female ref. to arrive, but as far as I am aware you weighed in without her anyway. If you had informed me of the problem on Sunday I would have sorted this out for you.
FruitbatIcon...30-04-2007 @ 20:17 
slightly smaller bat
Member 15, 304 posts
SQ 135, BP 70, DL 147.5
352.5 kgs @ 63kgs Eq
Hey Jo it was really nice seeing you and having you there as a familiar face going through the same terrifying experience as me! I really hope you reconsider competing - would be great to see you at anohter comp. And really well done on the PB DL I am sure I owe you half of my PB to watching you nail it just before me

Anyway well done!
brynevansIcon...30-04-2007 @ 22:11 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
I think you put in a very good performance for your first time out and you now have a "genuine" total rather than one made of the sum of your best lifts. You have now set a benchmark because lifting in a three-lift contest,
in a new environment,
at a time decided by the contest organisers,
in front of a crowd of strangers and a bunch of refs,
on equipment you've never even seen before,
at your very first contest,
and probably having to curb your weight to be sure

is a wholly different game to:

attempting a one-lift pb in the gym,
on the equipment you use every time you train,
with all your training mates spotting for you,
and probably telling you it's good when it may not be.

Anyway well done and I hope we see you at the next training session then another contest!
RickIcon...30-04-2007 @ 22:54 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Your squats were actually as deep as I've ever seen you - *plenty* deep enough. The only problem was your knee buckling in - if you're going to fail a squat that's how it always goes for you, as you know.

I know you weren't happy with your performance, but I thought it was excellent. I asked the lad from my form who came to watch (his first comp) and is an absolute deadlift freak what he thought of the comp, and the very first lift he mentioned was your deadlift - he thought it was absolutely incredible at your bodyweight. As it is.
tokarIcon...30-04-2007 @ 23:32 
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Originally posted by brynevans...
I think you put in a very good performance for your first time out and you now have a "genuine" total rather than one made of the sum of your best lifts. You have now set a benchmark because lifting in a three-lift contest,
in a new environment,
at a time decided by the contest organisers,
in front of a crowd of strangers and a bunch of refs,
on equipment you've never even seen before,
at your very first contest,
and probably having to curb your weight to be sure

is a wholly different game to:

attempting a one-lift pb in the gym,
on the equipment you use every time you train,
with all your training mates spotting for you,
and probably telling you it's good when it may not be.

Anyway well done and I hope we see you at the next training session then another contest!

Hey, all the rest of it maybe - but nobody at Sugden is going to say a squat is to depth when it ain't! Tongue
brynevansIcon...01-05-2007 @ 15:28 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
I wasn't suggesting that this was the case with Jo's squats, they were fine but it can be a common situation where training partners tell each other what they want to hear in the gym which can lead to disappointment on the platform.
As they say on deepsquatter.com friends don't let friends squat high!
littlegirlbunnyIcon...01-05-2007 @ 16:13 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 01.05.2007 @ 16:16 PM
Hey everyone Happy

Thanks for all the kind comments, they really mean alot Happy

I would just like to comment specifically on a few things: Firstly, the weigh in issue was a bit of a pain, but in no way am I blaming that for me not getting 9/9! It was an issue at the time, but was easily sorted in the end, and is unlikely to have had anything but a miniscule effect on my frame of mind which was already totally stressed anyway. The only thing that affected my lifting was my inability to cope with the stress, everything else (lack of sleep, food and getting lost) I would have been able to deal with if I wasn't so stressed in the first place! Hey ho, live and learn (Rick, I think I have started talking like you!)

Originally posted by brynevans...
I wasn't suggesting that this was the case with Jo's squats, they were fine but it can be a common situation where training partners tell each other what they want to hear in the gym which can lead to disappointment on the platform.
As they say on deepsquatter.com friends don't let friends squat high!

I know what you are saying Bryn, and I agree it can be a problem in some places. But most definately not sugden, especially with Tokar and Harris around who are both totally militant on squat depth Wink

Ok, so training - I have a plan, but haven't really got the time to write it up right now! I'll get onto later.

Training since the comp:
Monday - Rest Day. Was hoping to start Judo but didn't manage to make it to the class. Probably a good thing considering the last incident with a Judo throw and my back LOL (you know, the one where I couldn't squat/deadlift or even bench for weeks on end!!). In all seriousness i'm hoping to have a go in the next couple of weeks as I would like to get a bit of grappling/groundwork/throwing experience asap.

Tuesday AM
Got to the gym ultra early. Mornings are most definately not my strongpoint for weights, although CV is always so easy at this time of day. Guess my nervous system struggles to wake up! Didn't really have any ideas of a plan before I went, but decided to keep tuesdays as bench day and start off on 5x5 with heavy singles again.

CV warm-up 10 mins

Bench
20 kg, 30kg warm-ups (lots)
35 kg: 3 (felt heavy Eek )
40 kg: 1 (felt really heavy Eek Eek )
45 kg: 2 paused reps - atrociously slow reps really - considering 5 doubles flew a couple of weeks ago. I put it down to post comp fatigue and the morning session.
38.5 kg: 5x5 - first three sets were HARD, but then, I found the groove again and the last two were easy. As they should be! I was starting to get worried that I had come back too high, but by the end I was confident that this will take me up far enough before starting on triples.

I'm not going to max out again for another 13 weeks, unless I feel really really good and then i'll just go for that 47.5 kg

Neautral chins: 5
Wide grip pulls: 3x3

Shrugs: 60 kg: 10, 70 kg: 10 80 kg: 10, 10 - haven't done these in ages! They felt good

Superwide bench assistance. This was good - barely any shoulder pain!! Did the 20 kg: 10 first, but then, because there was no pain (just a bit of tweaking in my right shoulder), stuck another 5 kg on and did another 2 sets of 10. So pleased with that. Massive improvement on a few weeks ago when I was struggling with the pain from just using the bar. Don't know why it wasn't so bad - maybe just a simple as remembering the rotar cuff exercises.

Rotar cuffs: 2kg: 30, 30, 30 - really pumped full of blood after that!

Off to Muay Thai in a bit. Grin Although I don't know what i'm smiling about, I haven't got my excuse of 'having a comp coming up' to get out of the dreaded press-up sessions LOL

Oh yeah, just a note: Didn't really have much DOMS from the comp, except my right quad, (which is agony) and my left glute!! Must have been from failing the 82.5 kg!
tokarIcon...01-05-2007 @ 18:11 
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
All these people leaping right back into training after the competition! I'm not usually one to take a lot of time off but my back is still sore from Sunday - and I hardly ever get DOMS at all!

What's the thinking behind the superwide benching? Are you going to bring your "competition" grip out a bit?
littlegirlbunnyIcon...01-05-2007 @ 20:09 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Originally posted by tokar...
All these people leaping right back into training after the competition! I'm not usually one to take a lot of time off but my back is still sore from Sunday - and I hardly ever get DOMS at all!

Yeah, i'm thinking leaping back into training may have been a bad idea! Went to Muay Thai tonight and I just couldn't function! I was totally drained.

I'm not surprised you got DOMS - that last pull was a bit of an epic!

Originally posted by tokar...What's the thinking behind the superwide benching? Are you going to bring your "competition" grip out a bit?

Yeah, it was suggested by Jim when I went up for that training session. Because of my build i'm probably never going to get amazingly strong tri's. Also, having such long arms means that when I bring them out, the ROM goes down so much. Tis weird benching with my little fingers on the outer rings, but it must take about a foot off the ROM! I'm a long long way from being able to bench a decent amount this way, partly strength, and partly because my shoulder doesn't seem to like it, but i'm hoping it will come with practice. I have also been very slowly bringing my normal grip out a little.
tokarIcon...01-05-2007 @ 20:45 
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
I'm sure I remember someone else telling you that you should bring your bench grip out, and for very similar reasons.

Still, if you want to only listen to the advice of 285kg benchers....Wink

12345678910 ... 192021 ... 2223242526272829303132

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions