REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 194 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitcoronavirus

coronavirus

Users viewing topic: & 3 Guests

Closed This thread has been closed by a moderator. Replies are no longer possible.

12345678910 ... 104105106 ... 153154155156157158159160161162163

macrothIcon...22-11-2020 @ 07:46 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Loal at people still arguing that this study as some sort of hard evidence of anything.

Even more loals at the fake concern for Rick. For months he's gone out of his way to remain civil in the face of rank stupidity. He's spoken his mind, deal with it.
dannyboy73Icon...22-11-2020 @ 07:56 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
it isnt. but then again, there is no hard evidence they do anything other than encourage risk taking this is the point you all seem blind to.

as for consern about others, wrong, im very conserned and wish no one any harm yourself included.

this whole shambles has reduced our liberties, frightened us half to death and i care about liberty, more than most id say. but that dosent mean i dont want to cause people on the follow the rules narrative any harm, you are 100% incorrect there.

macroth said:Loal at people still arguing that this study as some sort of hard evidence of anything.
deal with it.
LessThanLukeIcon...22-11-2020 @ 09:25 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:it isnt. but then again, there is no hard evidence they do anything other than encourage risk taking this is the point you all seem blind to.
as for consern about others, wrong, im very conserned and wish no one any harm yourself included.
this whole shambles has reduced our liberties, frightened us half to death and i care about liberty, more than most id say. but that dosent mean i dont want to cause people on the follow the rules narrative any harm, you are 100% incorrect there.

Even if there was only a miniscule chance the masks do help I'd wear one. It costs me nothing.
dannyboy73Icon...22-11-2020 @ 11:16 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 22.11.2020 @ 11:23 AM by dannyboy73
thats poor risk assessing.

and as i say, masks reduce social distance so you may be increasing others risk by wearing one.

the biggest killer of children is being run over...so should we all drive at 5 mph to almost eradicate child deaths by being run over? this is the issue with risk assessment.

LessThanLuke said:
Even if there was only a miniscule chance the masks do help I'd wear one. It costs me nothing.
PeteHodgsonIcon...22-11-2020 @ 11:48 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 22.11.2020 @ 11:49 AM by PeteHodgson
dannyboy73 said:thats poor risk assessing.
and as i say, masks reduce social distance so you may be increasing others risk by wearing one.
the biggest killer of children is being run over...so should we all drive at 5 mph to almost eradicate child deaths by being run over? this is the issue with risk assessment.

Just because you may not do every single thing possible to reduce ‘all’ risks, doesn’t mean you may as well do nothing to reduce any risks. Less risk of deaths is always a plus.

Edit: I get what you’re saying about some people not respecting social distancing because they’re wearing masks, but if you are aware of the chance of that happening, then you’re not one of those people, so will surely keep distance.
billynomatesIcon...22-11-2020 @ 11:50 
Member 4923, 1795 posts

Is it more cost-benefit analysis?
RickIcon...22-11-2020 @ 11:54 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 22.11.2020 @ 11:56 AM by Rick
dannyboy73 said:it isnt. but then again, there is no hard evidence they do anything other than encourage risk taking this is the point you all seem blind to.

This is simply not true. No credible person, very much including the authors of this study, denies that masks reduce transmission and protect the people around the wearer. I've sent you personally tons of evidence of this in this thread; it is simply not under dispute. If you do not wear a mask, you are endangering others by possibly spreading an a- or pre-symptomatic infection, and this is deeply irresponsible and selfish.

The study looked for a 50% reduction of risk to the WEARER and was unable to prove it. It still provides confirmatory evidence to the pile of such that there is some risk reduction to the wearer, but that, again, is not why you should be wearing one. You wear one for other people.

Driving at 5mph everywhere has obvious and significant costs on many levels. Wearing a mask does not. It only reduces distance if you choose to do so.

And you call others blind.
BigMaccaIcon...22-11-2020 @ 13:37 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9943 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Here's an analysis done by the CDC (reviewing studies and drawing a conclusion)

http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-...

Here's the conclusion, the link has all of the individual study references:

Conclusions

Experimental and epidemiological data support community masking to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2.
The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and personal protection for the mask wearer.
The relationship between source control and personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic14, so that individual benefit increases with increasing community mask use.
Further research is needed to expand the evidence base for the protective effect of cloth masks and in particular to identify the combinations of materials that maximize both their blocking and filtering effectiveness, as well as fit, comfort, durability, and consumer appeal.

Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation.
LessThanLukeIcon...22-11-2020 @ 15:18 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq

That's a ridiculous comparison. Driving everywhere at 5mph is a massive inconvenience to every day life. Wearing a mask is not.
WILLSANIcon...22-11-2020 @ 16:12 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
this would seem like important news. not to be found reported anywhere in the mainstream media.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2020/11/16/latest-news-195/#portuguese-appeals-court-deems-pcr-tests-unreliable

Portuguese Appeals Court Deems PCR tests unreliable

The above would suffice to deem the forced quarantine of the four persons unlawful. The court thought it necessary, however, to add some very interesting considerations about the PCR tests:

“Based on the currently available scientific evidence this test [the RT-PCR test] is in and of itself unable to determine beyond reasonable doubt that positivity in fact corresponds to infection by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, for several reasons, among which two are paramount (to which one would need to add the issue of the gold standard, which, due to that issue’s specificity, will not be considered here): the test’s reliability depends on the number of cycles used; the test’s reliability depends on the viral load present.”
Citing Jaafar et al. (2020), the court concludes that “if someone is tested by PCR as positive when a threshold of 35 cycles or higher is used (as is the rule in most laboratories in Europe and the US), the probability that said person is infected is 3%, and the probability that said result is a false positive is 97%.” The court further notes that the cycle threshold used for the PCR tests currently being made in Portugal is unknown [N.B. – I know from acquaintances that in at least some Portuguese labs the threshold is 35 cycles].
Citing Surkova et al. (2020)), the court further states that any diagnostic test must be interpreted in the context of the actual probability of disease as assessed prior to the undertaking of the test itself, and expresses the opinion that “in the current epidemiological landscape of the United Kingdom, the likelihood is increasing that Covid 19 tests are returning false positives, with major implications for individuals, the health system and society.”

with the pcr cycle threshold set high enough you could actually manufacture false positives.

I have so far failed to find what the standard is here.
JonathanIcon...22-11-2020 @ 19:26 
the Ergbreaker
Member 19, 858 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 260
590.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
WILLSAN said:this would seem like important news. not to be found reported anywhere in the mainstream media.
https://lockdownsceptics.org/2020/11/16/latest-news-195/#portuguese-appeals-court-deems-pcr-tests-unreliable
with the pcr cycle threshold set high enough you could actually manufacture false positives.
I have so far failed to find what the standard is here.

They did spend quite a bit of time discussing this on Radio 4 this week. Their point was that PCR testing is a useful tool when testing someone who is symptomatic, but that due to the 0.04% false positive rate, is not much use for mass testing. To contextualise this, it would return 40 false positives per 100,000 people, which is double the previously held standard for allowing people to travel to a foreign country.

I agree with that sentiment.
dannyboy73Icon...22-11-2020 @ 19:37 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
i think you pretty much get what Im saying here. thanks for actually reading my posts with an open mind. indeed, what im saying is if you truly want to control the spread then reduce the time and frequency that you mix with large groups in enclosed spaces.

if mask wearing has only a tinny benefit then that benefit is surely counteracted by lack of social distancing? and even worse: people at high risk falsely thinking that they are safe if the see people wearing masks.

PeteHodgson said:
Just because you may not do every single thing possible to reduce ‘all’ risks, doesn’t mean you may as well do nothing to reduce any risks. Less risk of deaths is always a plus.
Edit: I get what you’re saying about some people not respecting social distancing because they’re wearing masks, but if you are aware of the chance of that happening, then you’re not one of those people, so will surely keep distance.
PeteHodgsonIcon...22-11-2020 @ 19:42 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:i think you pretty much get what Im saying here. thanks for actually reading my posts with an open mind. indeed, what im saying is if you truly want to control the spread then reduce the time and frequency that you mix with large groups in enclosed spaces.

if mask wearing has only a tinny benefit then that benefit is surely counteracted by lack of social distancing? and even worse: people at high risk falsely thinking that they are safe if the see people wearing masks.

Yes.
But better still, wear a mask AND limit your contact. I shop once a week and if I need anything else it can wait. I only need food. Non essentials, erm, aren’t essential. I can always shop online if I need other stuff. I do, for supplements.
But yes, for those with limited intellect wearing a mask may make things more spreadable I guess.
The messages should stress that more maybe. Always aim the message at the stupidest of people. IMO.
WILLSANIcon...22-11-2020 @ 19:58 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Jonathan said:
They did spend quite a bit of time discussing this on Radio 4 this week. Their point was that PCR testing is a useful tool when testing someone who is symptomatic, but that due to the 0.04% false positive rate, is not much use for mass testing. To contextualise this, it would return 40 false positives per 100,000 people, which is double the previously held standard for allowing people to travel to a foreign country.
I agree with that sentiment.

they discussed the portuguese court decision or pcr reliability in general? interesting if the former as a google search comes up with nothing apart from a couple of local reports.
lukiIcon...22-11-2020 @ 22:41 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 22.11.2020 @ 22:54 PM by luki
BigMacca said:Here's an analysis done by the CDC...
http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-...

This is an observational study. There is no control group to measure against. These are notoriously unreliable.

The second stage of a observational study is an experimental study to verify the assumed results. In this case a mask wearing test group vs an unmasked control group (the placebo group).

The mask study I posted is an experimental study of this type. It has a clear result for the wearer.

To settle this Sugden probably needs a study of Covid carriers coughing at uninflected people, with and without masks, indoors and outdoors. Either that or a train station.
Jonathan said:
...due to the 0.04% false positive rate, is not much use for mass testing.

Mateusz Kieliszkowski got sent home from WSM 2020 after had 2 positive and 2 negative tests.

12345678910 ... 104105106 ... 153154155156157158159160161162163

You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitcoronavirus
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions