REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 226 guests

think crossfit is gay?....

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

martinIcon...20-01-2011 @ 10:42 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
You get the same for winnng 'the biggest loser'

Probably easier to eat your way to 500lbs and then go on that!
adamkeepIcon...20-01-2011 @ 10:45 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
MrSmall said:I don't mind any of that sort of stuff, what I do mind is that they use olympic lifts as parts of conditioning, so they completely butcher them. And also most crossfitters will tell you that crossfit is the best way to train, whereas in reality its more of a jack of all trades master of none kind of thing. They are all similar size, similar fitness, similar mentality, etc, most of what I've seen at least.
Nothing wrong with that money though Grin

They do spend plenty of time learning the tech side of the oly lifts if they butcher them, that is their own thing. As for oly conditioning...it's kinda like our log clean and press for reps/axle for reps/anything from floor to overhead or on something for reps. Cleans and snatches for reps are great for practicing this. Jack of all trades but master of none...sounds like an awesome strongman, maybe someone from Poland for instance.

They are a bit ignorant when it comes to the way they train, but how many strongmen and powerlifters are too? How many dudes on this forum do zero conditioning or assistance exercises and just f**king suck at the sport, but still think their way is the only way? I would say a fair few of them! I'd say we in this sport are just as guilty as they are. I'm not saying they are right in their training or ways they go about it, but it has it's merit for sure.
MrSmallIcon...20-01-2011 @ 10:54 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:
They do spend plenty of time learning the tech side of the oly lifts if they butcher them, that is their own thing. As for oly conditioning...it's kinda like our log clean and press for reps/axle for reps/anything from floor to overhead or on something for reps. Cleans and snatches for reps are great for practicing this. Jack of all trades but master of none...sounds like an awesome strongman, maybe someone from Poland for instance.
They are a bit ignorant when it comes to the way they train, but how many strongmen and powerlifters are too? How many dudes on this forum do zero conditioning or assistance exercises and just f**king suck at the sport, but still think their way is the only way? I would say a fair few of them! I'd say we in this sport are just as guilty as they are. I'm not saying they are right in their training or ways they go about it, but it has it's merit for sure.

I actually think Mariusz is THE BEST at certain events, and just plain very good at the rest so his standard is mega high. Same with Z! I wouldn't say Mariusz is a master of none though he has some standout events, any medley, power stairs, shield carry etc.
Thing on the barbell though, you can nail perfect technique and shift serious weight, or you can have average to poor technique and happily nail things for reps from being a strong mofo. Log clean and press, axle etc are awkward in nature, axle doesn't rotate, log you are looking up at the sky, plus most people don't have perfect technique but in our field especially they have the muscular strength to get through the repping so in that short space of time it isn't that critical.
It wasn't a strongman vs weightlifting vs crossfit discussion opener though Adam! I agree with people being shortsighted though Happy
tz1127Icon...20-01-2011 @ 10:55 
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
adamkeep said:
How many dudes on this forum do zero conditioning or assistance exercises and just f**king suck at the sport, but still think their way is the only way? I would say a fair few of them! I'd say we in this sport are just as guilty as they are. I'm not saying they are right in their training or ways they go about it, but it has it's merit for sure.

The thing is there are some very strong lifters and even entire systems (Bulgarian system) that pretty much just that; however, I don't think there ever has been any elite lifters that came out the Crossfit system. Which is fine, because its not really their goal to be one.

However, its not entirely suprising that people on a strength forum would take potshots at a group of people who lifts weights, but do not aspire to be as strong as they could be.
WiganIcon...20-01-2011 @ 11:10 
a cynical old scrote
Member 68, 6844 posts
SQ 255, BP 132.5, DL 250
637.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
I dont see anything wrong with Crossfit in the slightest, i dont see why they get such a hard time. They do what they do, I do what I do, and you do what you do, and all aspire to be good at what it is!

The Crossfit lot are usually in very good shape and are fit to boot, which is what they aspire to, so good luck to them!

Plus if the 'sport' can stump up $250,000 prize money at the World Championships, looks like they are doing something right!!
Ben_FIcon...20-01-2011 @ 11:16 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Wigan said:I dont see anything wrong with Crossfit in the slightest, i dont see why they get such a hard time. They do what they do, I do what I do, and you do what you do, and all aspire to be good at what it is!

The Crossfit lot are usually in very good shape and are fit to boot, which is what they aspire to, so good luck to them!

Plus if the 'sport' can stump up $250,000 prize money at the World Championships, looks like they are doing something right!!

x2!
CuddlesIcon...20-01-2011 @ 11:22 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Looks well gay to me...

http://snowsblitzfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/crossf...

http://www.crossfitleman.ch/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/crossfi...

http://centraloregoncrossfit.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553fe5d938834...

http://orangecoastcrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/3715...
IainKendrickIcon...20-01-2011 @ 11:29 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I like crossfit. They do a good job at organising circuit training.

Now calling a circuit after a girls names is uber gay (sugden def c) but there ya go.
SteveIcon...20-01-2011 @ 11:51 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
I think the way crossfit promotes and sells itself upsets quite a few people.

It's a great way for certain sections of the public to train for general all round fitness and clearly some great results can be achieved.

However if you read and believe some of their material you could easily end up thinking the main site WODs were the best way for just about everyone to train for everything when in fact thet're quite probably no even the best way to train for crossfit competitions.
BurkyIcon...20-01-2011 @ 15:38 
smack the shit out of my pubic bone
Member 1902, 919 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 230
500.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
By doing crossfit you will probably end up being OK at most things but not great at anything inparticular. Which is fine as that is sort of the point. I think people like it because they have their training planned for them and don’t have to think too much about it.

I think the benefit it has is that it introduces a lot of different types of training which many people wouldn’t get exposed to such as kettlebells, barbell training, Olympic lifting and gymnastic rings training which can only be a good thing.

It is marketed very well and its only getting more popular, there are currently 4 crossfit places in Manchester with another one planned in Stockport.
SparrowIcon...20-01-2011 @ 17:03 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
What are the events? Grin
IainKendrickIcon...20-01-2011 @ 17:08 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Sparrow said:What are the events? Grin

Susan for time Grin
Tom_MartinIcon...20-01-2011 @ 17:14 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Sparrow said:What are the events? Grin

I'm in!
Donut62Icon...20-01-2011 @ 18:19 
a random american that we love (for now)
Member 1915, 21 posts
SQ 256, BP 184, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
No offense to Crossfit guys, but they mostly consist of weekend warriors. With this kind of money on the table, I think "real" athletes are going to show up. Your average Olympic decathlete would clean house.
SMedIcon...20-01-2011 @ 21:27 
a splendid chap, unlike some bitches on here
Member 1670, 1705 posts
SQ 190, BP 112.5, DL 220
522.5 kgs @ 89.5kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
I'm in!

Joking aside, someone like you might actually have a good shot at something like that. You're not a weak skinny f**k that can just run fast and hop around a bit. And neither are you a strong but roly-poly c**t.

Learn some of the weird event they do just so you can practice. But if something needs to picked up, you can lift more than the rest of them. If you need to do something quickly, you are going to be faster than them. Full. f**king. Stop.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions