REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 38 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumSteve → View All Posts

View All Posts: Steve

12345678910 ... ... 239240241242243244245246247248249

» Appendix (Go to post)27-01-2017 @ 11:49 
It took me a couple of months to recover. Did you have "keyhole" surgery? I unfortunately had to have old fashioned surgery which I suspect takes longer to heal.
» Deadlifting kids (Go to post)16-01-2017 @ 07:51 
AdamT said:I wouldn't let them. There isn't as much technique involved as Olympic lifts. No need to start too young.

If they wanted to learn Olympic lifting, then that's different.

Pullups, press ups, dips etc. When kids are in their teens, they will be wee machines. Introduce weights then.

Whilst bwt only exercises are often recommended for children I would strongly disagree they are the best choice for many children.

Some children simply cannot do bodyweight exercises. Weights, whether machine or free weights, allow lighter and progressive loads to be used.
» Ice Baths (Go to post)13-01-2017 @ 13:24 
What I understood was they were great for short term recovery ie when you have a tournament or major championship and need to recover quickly to compete again, but not so good for every day use. I certainly notice the difference in significantly decreased stiffness and soreness after cold water.
» Ice Baths (Go to post)13-01-2017 @ 12:12 
AdamT said:Bump!

Ice Baths DO f**king work and they are fantastic for recovery.

Helps you sleep too and is good for the mind.

I recommend looking for a professionally made bath, like a cryospa bath with the jets.

I'm not sure the latest science agrees with this.

From what I've heard it's now thought inflammation is an important part of adapting to training and reducing inflammation by cold, Nsaids... may decrease the effects of training.
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)18-12-2016 @ 06:49 
Great ride. Perfect timing to start getting down to some proper training.

"Just" 30 weeks to Ironman!
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)10-12-2016 @ 07:54 
Boar said:I think I got a choice of 10 or 11 speed when I got the kickr, I chose the 11 , I don't have any problems although I am not one for running up and down the gears

One other question - do you need to change the indexing of your gears to make them work properly on the Kickr or can you just switch the bike back and forth?
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)09-12-2016 @ 17:53 
Boar said:when I was on trainer road I used a cycle ops fluid 2 and it was accurate and consistent , I think it would work well enough on zwift to enjoy the experience , but now I have a smart trainer (kickr) and its superb

its worth giving zwift a go , like you say , virtual power is reasonably accurate (my virtual FTP was within 10 points of my FTP on a kickr) its the hills you wont get the full effect on , but I find it much better for 'making' me put in top effort

Does the Kickr work OK with the 11 speed Ultegra? I've seen quite a few people saying they have problems. (Not as many as with the Neo)
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)07-12-2016 @ 17:40 
Not surprisingly that didn't last long
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)07-12-2016 @ 11:38 
Cuddles said:garmn vectors are less than 600 on canyons 12 days of Christmas deal. 24 hours only.

I can't afford them, but I may just have to find a way.

548.95 inc vat plus 6.99P&P - Am I reading that correctly? Sounds too good to be true if it wasn't a proper company. Have you any experience with them or know anyone who has?
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)06-12-2016 @ 18:11 
Brilliant FTP result

I'm siding with Zwift although for different reasons - I quite like the structured, planned workout of TR. I just prefer the way Zwift implements the control of the trainer with a bit more flexibility over and under your target. It may well e down to my turbo. It feels great on Zwift, but much less smooth on TR - I killed a trainer tyre a couple of weeks ago when TR said go and the turbo locked up!

Hope you're fully recovered - ultimately consistency and not missing training is probably the most important thing and whatever allows you to achieve that is the best choice (just don't over do the races!)

Current target for me swim in the sea every day in December! Six down, 25 to go!
» The Cycling Thread (Go to post)06-12-2016 @ 17:26 
Trainerroad or Zwift? Decision time as Trainerroad is up for renewal.
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)06-12-2016 @ 17:25 
FAT_SAM said:You don't set out to intentionally lose kilos on the pull. My pull, for instance, just hasn't increased at all with the last 50kg I have gained. It's not actually gone down though.

Don't you feel your pull should have increased with all the extra weight? Or do you find the extra weight is in some way preventing you pulling more?
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)06-12-2016 @ 11:06 
I wonder why we are not seeing SHW put together a massive squat and deadlift? It's suggested that large SHW have poor leverage for deadlift and as they get heavier their deadlifts actually go down however Ed shows you can have "a little more meat on your bones" and still excel at deadlift.

Add a 400kg+ deadlift to this sort of unbelievable squat and the total record will get absolutely destroyed.
» being fat makes you strong! (Go to post)01-12-2016 @ 11:16 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Isn't waist circumference also an unreliable indicator?

You can have a thick (non fatty) torso from training with big weights.

Don't they look at waist atio, not circumference as an indicator of risk?
» being fat makes you strong! (Go to post)30-11-2016 @ 06:51 
FAT_SAM said:According to BMI i'd need to be 60-70kg to be 'healthy'. I have walked around with visible Abs at 120kg for many years of my life. Being 50kg overweight in that respect along with spending 10 hours a week in the gym is by no means a health risk. Bmi is a piss take and totally invalid for athletes. It always amused me when a doctor with higher bf% than me suggested that I lose weight.

Is weight really irrelevant if it's all lean muscle? I'm not convinced being 50kg over your BMI would not put an added strain on your body regardless of whether it was all muscle.

12345678910 ... ... 239240241242243244245246247248249

You are here: HomeForumSteve → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto