REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 4 members and 184 guests
You are here: HomeForumTannhauser → View All Posts

View All Posts: Tannhauser

12345678910 ... ... 90919293949596979899100

» Gym wankers. (Go to post)27-05-2011 @ 21:43 
Shaun said:
That is entirely the basis of my objection, as I clearly mentioned him doing all of his exercises facing the wrong way. It should have been self explanatory that this is also misusing the equipment. The fact that he does it so he can check out his arms changes my opinion of him from "idiot" to "wa**er".

Re-reading your original post, I now see that your objection was based on an entirely rational concern with him using the equipment 'incorrectly', with associated health and safety concerns. Happy
» Finished school, advice on what to or not to do ? (Go to post)27-05-2011 @ 21:22 
Shaun said:Nowadays that wouldn't be advisable from a careers perspective, though

You're probably right. My point is that there may be other perspectives apart from one that focuses on careers. For some - probably a minority - education as a goal in itself may be more important.

That's because most students are studying academic degrees that do not lead to a specific career. Most graduates who get graduate jobs nowadays will become either managers or accountants, as these jobs seem to recruit graduates from any degree, as long as it is at 2.1 level or above and is accompanied by a certain amount of UCAS points.

Yes, that seems to be the same point I was making, or intending to make. Though there are a lot of graduate jobs outside of management and accountancy.

But that doesn't counter the point that there are many interesting, exciting and well paying jobs out there that do require a specific degree, or specific type of degree - usually numerical/science ones.

Nor is it meant to counter that. Agreed.

So that brings me to some further advice for James:
1) Don't study business or management or accountancy at university. They're considered s**t by many employers and you will have to compete with maths, history etc. graduates who will most likely get the job.
2) If you want to go to university, then try and study something numerical or scientific as this opens up more doors.

1) That's an overgeneralisation.
2) No one should embark on studying science or mathematics unless they're both interested and have an aptitude in these.
» Gym wankers. (Go to post)27-05-2011 @ 19:44 
Shaun said:
Nope, nothing like single rep maxes. It is deliberately using the equipment in the wrong manner, as well as a health and safety hazard as the 7tf bar when used at 90 degrees out of the correct position sticks out over the edge of the platform. Someone who uses a calf raise as a squat machine would get called a wa**er, etc., ergo this guy will also get called a wa**er.

But that wasn't the basis of your original objection at all, was it? Otherwise you would have mentioned that, rather than the fact that the guy was checking out his arms in a vest. Post hoc health and safety comments don't undermine the analogy.
» Finished school, advice on what to or not to do ? (Go to post)27-05-2011 @ 19:34 
Shaun said:
I'd only recommend university if it is doing a course that has good prospects. (That is, unless you are learning for the sake of learning, in which case something like medieval literature or history of art might be great. But in the real world very few can afford to learn for the sake of learning or for the experience, especially when this puts you at a disadvantage compared to people with experience and relevant degrees. What sounds interesting and like a laugh at 17/18 may not sound so good at 20/21 when you can barely get a job cleaning toilets.) Lots and lots of people have degrees these days and each graduate job will usually have hundreds of applicants per place. Their degrees are in nothing relevant to anything in any workplace and they struggle. So make sure it's a degree that has good job prospects and is relevant to the jobs market.

I went to uni for the sake of learning and with no thoughts to employment at all. Even if I had considered the job prospects or lack of them, I still would have done the same course. My family isn't rich Happy.

So, while I think what you're advocating is sound advice, there are some people for whom education is going to take precedence over more practical considerations.

With regard to relevance, bear in mind that historically, most graduates do not find employment in anything to do with their subject. Otherwise there would have been many 99.9% of philosophy graduates on the dole since the dawn of time.
» Old, plump, wealthy professionals..........they love to squat (Go to post)26-05-2011 @ 00:16 
IainKendrick said:Nice work at Catts. Off course squatting infront of a mirror... yuck!!!

I've recently moved gyms, and there's a mirror in front of the power rack there. It's incredibly distracting. Maybe it's just my physical beauty, but I find it weirdly mesmerising and it seems to f**k the movement up.
» Gym wankers. (Go to post)26-05-2011 @ 00:09 
Jeez, what a depressing thread. I can understand getting annoyed because someone is inconsiderate in the gym,or subjects you to their s**tty music. But a lot of this sounds like 'if you're not in my little strongman/powerlifting clique, you're a wa**er.'

Shaun said:There's this skinny guy at my gym who always wears a bright yellow vest and short shorts. Whenever he is on the platforms he does his exercise rotated 90 degrees so instead of facing the mirror directly he is lifting side on to it. He is always looking at the mirror too, checking out his 10" arms. wa**er.

This is a case in point. A bloke written off partly on the basis that he's not in the correct training uniform. And if he's training for cosmetic appearance, why shouldn't he check his arms out? He's checking his progress and probably there's some vanity there too. A bit like lifting single rep maxes.
» Why can't the Americans squat properly? (Go to post)23-05-2011 @ 20:48 
danbaseley said:

Personally I think a lot of this comes down to the fact that everyone hates a winner and Americans do hold loads of records right now in PL.

You may have a point when it comes to Americans criticising their own. However, as regards the international audience, if there's any prejudice involved, it's more likely to be against Americans than against winners per se.
» Until what age can you keep gaining stength? (Go to post)18-05-2011 @ 21:30 
I think my strength is definitely starting to dip a little bit now. I've just turned 49. I can't seem to get back to my training poundages from a couple of years ag, especially on upper body.

I just wish I'd started lifting (as opposed to bodybuilding) a bit earlier.
» Cheap runabouts (Go to post)04-05-2011 @ 20:05 
I drove sub-£500 s**tboxes for many years.

The pick of them was the diesel Citroen ZX. It finally died last year. It was great...surprisingly good handling, economical, and with an indestructible engine.
» Bin Laden! (Go to post)02-05-2011 @ 22:19 
SMed said:Are there any well educated, otherwise rational and reasonable individuals that can give any indication of a serious conspiracy? Someone that is ideally an expert or holds a position of responsibility in the area of their claims?

Of course not. All experts are just mouthpieces of the establishment - that's how they got their 'expert' status.

And your request for 'evidence' for a conspiracy is unreasonable. If there's no evidence, that can only mean that it has been carefully hidden. So therefore the LESS evidence for a conspiracy, the MORE CAREFULLY it's been hidden and therefore THE MORE CERTAIN it is that the conspiracy is real.

Really, this is basic stuff. It's in the Big Book of Conspiracy Theory Logic ,Icke and Jones, page 1.
» New journal (Go to post)26-04-2011 @ 21:37 
Tuesday

Mediocre session. My strength doesn't seem to be going up on this program.

No lower body work since the squat challenge - this is partly due to the annoying opening times at the gym - shut for four days last week (and will be shut again on Friday and Monday).

I was hoping for 130 X 8 on bench and 82.5 X 8 on press - not to be on either.

Strict standing press

Warm ups
65 X 3
75 X 3
82.5 X 6

Bent over rows

Warm ups
100 X 5
100 X 5
100 X 5
100 X 5
100 X 5

Bench Press

Warm ups
100 X 3
115 X 3
130 X 7
» The Queen's Birthday (Go to post)23-04-2011 @ 00:42 
Shaun said:Don't give a f**k about the queen.

Opinion, imperative, or both?
» Ouch! (Go to post)23-04-2011 @ 00:19 
Post Edited: 23.04.2011 @ 00:21 AM by Tannhauser
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/crime/woman_denies_biting_o...

Maria Topp. She certainly looks capable of biting off testicles. In the picture, it looks like she could still be chewing them.

Edit to add: the news item adds that she was wearing a 'sparkly white jumper', which is nice.
» Royal wedding... (Go to post)23-04-2011 @ 00:05 
strange1 said:
your wrong mate every war has brought on medical care, industry and communications for starters
we wouldnt have the internet, plastic, motorcycles, Thermos flasks to name a few if it wasnt for the wars we have fought
mental health care wasnt even thought of until WW1
even the modern war have brought on medical care leaps and bounds since 2001 deaths in A&E's in the UK due to trauma have been going down because of treatments developed in afghan and iraq

It's an argument with a long and venerable history, but it's still terrible. More holes in it than a machine-gunned slice of Emmental.
» Royal wedding... (Go to post)22-04-2011 @ 09:36 
Alistair_Inglis said:

[Seditious material, not quoted for fear of royalist reprisal]

The royal wedding is going to boost the economy by £620 million, according to the Torygraph. Mind you, they would say that.

[url=]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8139845/... [/url]

12345678910 ... ... 90919293949596979899100

You are here: HomeForumTannhauser → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions