REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 181 guests
You are here: HomeForumTannhauser → View All Posts

View All Posts: Tannhauser

12345678910 ... ... 90919293949596979899100

» Funeral music (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 18:15 
My Dad had a Dixieland version of "When you're smiling" played at his funeral as well as Elgar's beautiful Chanson De Matin, which is a great tear jerker (as opposed to knob jerker).
» Funeral music (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 18:11 
I made a will some years back and my funeral arrangements were decided alongside that.

I have:

1. 'The Bells are Ringin'(for me and my gal)" sung by Judy Garland and Gene Kelly (singing about weddings at a funeral, that will keep the f**kers guessing)
2. "Ist Ein Traum", the final trio from Richard Strauss' Die Rosenkavalier
3. The "Magic Fire Music" from the end of Wagner's Die Walkure This is heartbreakingly beautiful, so leading nicely into...
4. "Shaddap Ya Face" by Joe Dolce

Although I'm considering simplifying things by replacing the first three with Wagner's glorious Pilgrim's Chorus from the opera Tannhauser

I think Joni's William Shatner idea is fantastic.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)28-01-2008 @ 23:03 
Joni said:
just explain it to the spotters mate, better to do that once and they will learn. Folk usually genuinely just want to help, and will be happy to learn how to do it so that you get the most of the set i think.

I agree that they want to help, and I'm not ungrateful for the spotting I get - it's better than nothing, mostly.

I always explain what I'm after really clearly before the set, but it often doesn't make any difference. Everybody else's bench press at our gym seems to be a combination of bench press and spotter upright row.It's part of the culture and they really don't grasp the concept of 'not helping at all'. Ah well.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)28-01-2008 @ 18:02 
Post Edited: 28.01.2008 @ 18:02 PM
Monday 28th Jan

Having read some opinions on this on here, I've moved my deadlift day to Mondays so that I've always got two clear days between that and squatting.

I've discovered that I can bench heavier weights much better with a lift off the pins. Unfortunately, I can't be choosy about who helps. I had three different spotters tonight. On set no. 3, the guy spotting me insisted on having his hands under the bar all the way down. Paused at the bottom, I managed to hiss "loose it", which he did for 2 nanoseconds. Then he grabbed it again for the way up, giving an easy 10-20 kg assistance on the lockout Unhappy . Nice guy, and very helpful, but why do so many think that it's a tag-team event?

Anyway:

Deadlifts: 190 X 2,2,1,2 (grip went on third set)
Hyperextensions: body X 10; body + 2.5 X 10,10; body X 10
Bench press: 140 X 2,2,2
Lying DB extensions 25 X 9,9,6
» Protein Intake on an average day (Go to post)27-01-2008 @ 17:08 
paul_richards said:
12-24Ib a year of lean mass does sound pretty good to me. Generally the more seasoned you are the harder it is to gain in strength and size.

Agreed to both parts. I'm sure the increase wouldn't have been sustained indefinitely.
» Protein Intake on an average day (Go to post)26-01-2008 @ 18:38 
paul_richards said:
I said you'd be lucky to put 1Ib on in a month. Lets say you put 2Ib on this still isnt that much visually. Anymore than that and IMO you'd have be having a bit "SAUCE" on your chips.

Glycogen makes a massive difference. I was ill over Xmas, lost 2.5KG, looked small, felt weak. 3 weeks later, eating properly, training hard, back on the creatine and I have gained all the weight back. I look much bigger, leaner and am loads stronger than 3 weeks ago. How much muscle have I gained, IMO almost nothing.

Creatine can gain you several pounds in water, carb up and you'll gain several pounds too.

I think this is a response to my post. I'm familiar with the effects of glycogen storage on appearance, strength etc. What I question is whether an increased protein intake can supply that glycogen. During my time on high protein, my carb intake, if anything, dropped overall. Only my protein intake increased. So in order for your argument to work, glycogen would need to be manufactured from protein. Is this feasible (via gluconeogenesis, maybe)? I don't know.

Short of using some sophisticated equipment, I can't see how it's possible to ascertain whether an increase in mass is due to lean tissue, glycogen, water or magic pixie dust. How can you know that your own increase in mass WASN'T due to regained muscle mass?

To say that it's unlikely that someone can naturally gain more than 1lb in three weeks - your original claim - seems an arbitrary figure. I would be surprised if that is supported by evidence. To me, a gain of 0.33 pounds a week for a 220 pound man doesn't seem very much.

All interesting stuff.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)25-01-2008 @ 18:24 
Another one of those sessions that seemed to go on forever.

The weight on squats, which I've put up by 2.5kg a week for the last 9 weeks, finally got too much for five sets of two - I had to reduce the last two sets to singles and concentrated on getting these as perfect as I could make them.

Squats 192.5 X 2,2,2,1,1

Bench Press (paused) 132.5 X 3,3,3,3,3

Face pulls "14" X 8,8,8

High incline press (75 degrees, smith machine) worked up to 125 (including bar)x 1

Grip work - static holds with 120 and then 75
» Protein Intake on an average day (Go to post)25-01-2008 @ 16:10 

How did you measure what was lean tissue and what wasnt ?, you'd be lucky to have gained 1Ib of muscle in that time. Spread over the body thats hardly anything.

It's a legitimate point.

Initially, I was taking calliper skinfold measurements and during the time I experienced weight gain, these didn't go up. After a while, they did start to rise, from which I infer I was putting on some fat.

I also took measurements at chest, thigh, upper arm etc and these increased. The difference was quite apparent visually too. As you suggest, this may have been from glycogen storage or hydration and it seems to me that this is difficult to assess. With regard to glycogen, I'm afraid my biochem is a bit rusty and I can't recall if excess protein can be converted to glycogen. I know, through gluconeogenesis aminos can be changed to glucose, but I think this is respired immediately. As for hydration, well, I think I was already fairly hydrated through creatine - I know what mass through real extreme hydration looks like (I just look like a ginormous sausage when retaining water).

I guess it's an imponderable, and I'm well aware that any evidence I offer is only anecdotal. However, the results impressed me sufficiently that if I ever want to bulk (unlikely), I would try the same approach again.

Cheers
Cliff
» Protein Intake on an average day (Go to post)24-01-2008 @ 19:58 
Thing said:
Right guy i thought i would ask what everbody views are on protein intake for development on an average day and what there intake is.

i useing the rule of 1 to 1.5 x your body weight in kgs so a min of 148g and a max of 222 g of protein per day. i have spoken to some folk i know who are into or work in nutrition and they have all mentioned this 1 to 1.5 rule. as anything more is just waisted and not used by the body the way it is supose to now please don't think this is my view but it seams to be working for me. just wondered what everybody else thinks and does.

cheers

Neil

A little while back, I had a personal trainer (I apologise in advance if this is gay). He put me on a *slightly* increased calorie intake and a *massively* increased protein intake. I was supposed to be on 350G a day (3.5G per kg). I rarely got there, but I often managed 300G a day. Result? I put on substantial amounts of muscle in 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately, I put on fat as well.

I was very surprised at what a difference it made to mass/strength gains, but it was a bloody uncomfortable way of doing it.
» Protein Intake on an average day (Go to post)23-01-2008 @ 21:02 
Baz said:
theres this guy at y uni gym who cant seem to work this out

he keeps telling me to go to failure and do assisted reps and more reps per set

I get that sometimes too, other day I was squating sharing the rack with someone and he said 'so how many reps do you do' I said im doing 5 by 5, '5? thats too low isn't it? you should do higher' I said im interested in getting strong, 'and low reps will do that?' yea i said even doin 3, 2 or single reps will get you strong, 'sounds too dangerous to me'.... What do you say to that?Confused

I'm constantly amazed at the level of ignorance of strength training in my gym - in the staff, let alone the punters. They look at my routines as if they are sorcery.

A lad of 18-19 who trains at my gym and seems interested in strength training asked me for a routine to try. I wrote some out for him but recommended a 5 X 5. A couple of days later, one of the trainers said he was going to try the 5 X 5 as well. So I was surprised to see him doing curls, triceps pushdowns etc. It turns out that he's doing the 5 X 5 in the morning and then the rest of his muscles in the evening. Roll-Eyes He's a nice guy, but it reminded me why I stopped writing routines for people.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)23-01-2008 @ 20:36 
Boar said:
nice 200 !! and them chins sound good , might give them a try !!

Cheers. Here's a link to an article describing them:

http://powerliftinguk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4878
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)23-01-2008 @ 17:52 
Wednesday 23rd Jan

Great workout today. Deadlifts were only supposed to go up to 190kg, but I sneaked a cheeky 200kg to see how my grip would cope - it was fine and I felt like there was some more, maybe plenty, in there. I managed to find somewhere to do hyperextensions - a metal step on the dipping station and as long as I am not fussy about flattening my cobblers, it should work quite well. I love hypers. Finally got the groove on the 'powerlifter chins' (elbows pulled in, shoulder blades squeezed together, pull to chest) and got an extra rep - it's an amazing exercise.

Deadlifts: 190 X 1,1,1,1
200 X 1

Hyperextensions: bodyweight X 10, 10
5kg behind head X 9

'Powerlifter' chins: 5,5,4

Seated DB hammer curls: 25s X 9,8,7
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)21-01-2008 @ 17:40 
Monday 21st Jan

I want a new set of shoulders for Xmas. These days, bench press is, for me, all about avoiding shoulder pain. How much I can bench is only partly down to my strength, the rest is dictated by whether I can get into a groove that avoids pain. I'm trying some stretching most days, so we will see if that helps.

I wasn't scheduled to do military press, but some kids were doing endless sets on the Smith machine, so my planned assistance work got cancelled. 100kg is the most I've clean and pressed, though I've pressed the same from a rack.

Face pulls "14" X 10, 10, 10
Bench Press (with pause) - worked up to 142.5 X 1, 1
Clean and Press 70 X 5, 80 X 4, 90 X 2, 100 X 1
Lying DB extensions 25 X 8,8,7
Sit-ups with 40kg DB X 10, 10
Grip work
» Creatine (Go to post)20-01-2008 @ 19:17 
paul_richards said:
the powder is fine, mix 5g into a small glass of water, no real taste at all. Its only the Creatine Ethyl Ester that is bad tasting.

I would opt for Creatine Monohydrate. Its the original form of creatine and has had a lot of studies done on it. CEE (creatine ethyl ester) is new and supposed to absorb better, however I have seen a study showing most of it gets destroyed by the stomach.

I agree. I've tried CEE and it doesn't do anything different to CM. Plus it tastes like insecticide and is reputed by some to increase stress on the kidneys. CM is a bit gritty, but it dissolves well in a cup of hot sweetened milk you can't really taste it.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)18-01-2008 @ 17:49 
Thanks Boar.

I can't believe how long it takes to do 11 sets, none of which consisted of more than three reps. Nor how knackered I am at the end of it. Anyway, pleased with myself tonight - I had a headache from work, so I didn't want to go but forced myself -and my 'official total' has moved up 10kg as a result.

Squats 190 X 2,2,2,2,2
Bench press (85% projected max, all paused) 137.5 X 2,2,2
Seated high incline press (75 degrees, smith machine) 115 x 3,3,3

12345678910 ... ... 90919293949596979899100

You are here: HomeForumTannhauser → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions