Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhy can't the Americans squat properly?

Why can't the Americans squat properly?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

geopard said:
What 10 kg increase in a few days? Hmm....
http://turbo.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2009/11/skeptical-hippo-...

Smalls is a turk so your right to be sceptical but he has video evidence
MrSmall
I don't think he really wanted a video Grin but thanks Ed! Master cameraman.
MrSmall said:I don't think he really wanted a video Grin but thanks Ed! Master cameraman.

MrSmall, there is a big lump stuck in my throat, I still can't believe it.
Some shallow Americans squatting:

Stan Efferding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuCcqi-krhk

Pat Mendes (or anyone from Average Broz for that matter):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY

Mike Tuscherer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwPNUNGog4

And they're just the champions. I'm sure there are a thousand others on youtube or on powerliftingwatch. Your sweeping statement sounds to me like playing to the gallery on here.
geopard said:I know not all Americans are half-squatters, but why can't the American feds squat properly? Look at any "record squat" and it is a half-squat whether IPA, SPF etc

They can, they just don't.
@danbaseley this Squat No 3, is a 935lbs World Record Squat. Look at the comments on that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HyXj_O47M
geopard said:@danbaseley this Squat No 3, is a 935lbs World Record Squat. Look at the comments on that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HyXj_O47M

That's the SPF though, they're famous for high squats.
Ah, the SPF - the go to for anyone who wants to bash equipped lifting or American powerlifting in general. The SPF gets a ton of heat from internet tough guys, other powerlifters and fans/enemies of powerlifting in general, so I'll levave that be for the moment.

The heavily loaded question here is "Why can't Americans squat properly?", when it is patently obvious that they can.

That some choose to squat high and that some federations choose to allow people to squat high is apparent, but to be honest I think America has just about the biggest wealth of strength athletes in the world.

If it wasn't for the pisspoor money in strength sports (especially compared to the megabucks assoicated with American Football, Baseball, et al.) people like yourself would be asking the question "Why can only Americans hold world records?"

Personally I think a lot of this comes down to the fact that everyone hates a winner and Americans do hold loads of records right now in PL. Konstantinov breaks a world record (a self confessed juicer) and everyone jumps on his groin to proclaim his greatness. Stan Efferding breaks a world record and even his own country men slate him for being on the gear, using a monolift, not having a name from Dr Zhivago.
Shaun
Americans hold a lot of records because they are often judged to a lesser standard than their European and Russian counterparts. Regarding Stan's squat, it didn't look locked out to me.
danbaseley said: The SPF gets a ton of heat from internet tough guys, other powerlifters and fans/enemies of powerlifting in general, so I'll levave that be for the moment.

Cool thats a lot of adjectives I can use on my CV.

I do agree though as I said early in the thread; apart from the backyard rubbish feds (eg SPF) the US has more than its fair share of very good squatters.
Steve
danbaseley said:Ah, the SPF - the go to for anyone who wants to bash equipped lifting or American powerlifting in general. The SPF gets a ton of heat from internet tough guys, other powerlifters and fans/enemies of powerlifting in general, so I'll levave that be for the moment.

The heavily loaded question here is "Why can't Americans squat properly?", when it is patently obvious that they can.

That some choose to squat high and that some federations choose to allow people to squat high is apparent, but to be honest I think America has just about the biggest wealth of strength athletes in the world.

If it wasn't for the pisspoor money in strength sports (especially compared to the megabucks assoicated with American Football, Baseball, et al.) people like yourself would be asking the question "Why can only Americans hold world records?"

Personally I think a lot of this comes down to the fact that everyone hates a winner and Americans do hold loads of records right now in PL. Konstantinov breaks a world record (a self confessed juicer) and everyone jumps on his groin to proclaim his greatness. Stan Efferding breaks a world record and even his own country men slate him for being on the gear, using a monolift, not having a name from Dr Zhivago.

The US hold a lot of World records in Federations that only the US (or very few other Countries) compete in or "All Time Records" where completely uncomparible performances are compared against each other.

It's a real shame that so many obviously great lifters are unwilling to actually compete against lifters from all around the World. I'm sure if Stan Efferding travels to the IPF unequipped next year and competes on a level playing field with lifters from all around the World he will get plenty of attention.
People want to see records broken at every meet.

Once someone breaks a record it creates a rod for their back to a ceratin degree, insomuch as everyone just seems to expect lifts to go in one direction only. Unfortunately, there are federations out there who seem happy to make sure that happens every meet, irrespective of how.

But it doesn't mean that Americans cannot squat.
danbaseley said:

Personally I think a lot of this comes down to the fact that everyone hates a winner and Americans do hold loads of records right now in PL.

You may have a point when it comes to Americans criticising their own. However, as regards the international audience, if there's any prejudice involved, it's more likely to be against Americans than against winners per se.

Return to top View Desktop Site