Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitUntil what age can you keep gaining stength?

Until what age can you keep gaining stength?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Steve
Just stumbled across this

Dave Ricks - 352.5kg at 93kg and 52 years old!

I wonder at what age it becomes impossible to gain strength
not sure

but f**king awesome squat
50ish?
jrepp
Post Edited: 18.05.2011 @ 21:05 PM by jrepp
A guy I trained with did his best ever squat when he was I think 45 or 46

After 20 years serious training
keep watching Bolton, Efferding and Felix and I guess we'll eventually find out.
MrSmall
I'd imagine from around age 60, there are a fair few examples of 40s and 50s guys doing really well on the big stage, but haven't heard of many 60 year old dudes. Then again, gaining strength, they still might be getting stronger just not world standard dudes.
odd haugen is competative still at 61 ...awesome
I think my strength is definitely starting to dip a little bit now. I've just turned 49. I can't seem to get back to my training poundages from a couple of years ag, especially on upper body.

I just wish I'd started lifting (as opposed to bodybuilding) a bit earlier.
Post Edited: 18.05.2011 @ 21:34 PM by SMed
It's not a straight forward question, and the answer depends on a lot of things, particularly the age at which the person starts training.
MrSmall
Sorry to hear that, if its any consolation I feel the same way and I'm only 22!
fatter_tomorrow
mick king is in hes 60's and benched 220kg raw this last sunday gone, hasnt benched for a few weeks either.

heres a vid of hes 240kg raw bench.

ursus said:odd haugen is competative still at 61 ...awesome

x2

if anyone ever mentions age as a factor i always say odd haugen. i remember colin brice saying he had his bus pass in the world strongman super series about 3or4 years ago. inspirational.
You can gain strength in the forearms up until really old age. They just keep getting stronger
RossA said:
if anyone ever mentions age as a factor i always say odd haugen.

The guy is an absolute legend, but is he still gaining strength (as per the original question)?
Shaun
Depends on the person's genetics, when they started lifting, and a lot of lifestyle factors. If you are new to weights training at the age of 65, and don't have any health problems that would affect strength gains, then you will gain strength. I'm pretty sure I've heard Rippetoe say that he's even gotten women in their 70s stronger on the squat.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitUntil what age can you keep gaining stength?
Return to top View Desktop Site