REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 182 guests
You are here: HomeForumTannhauser → View All Posts

View All Posts: Tannhauser

12345678910 ... ... 90919293949596979899100

» Another fed anyone? (Go to post)05-02-2008 @ 20:44 
Stevie said:
I have trained with people who could lift more mixed grip than they could using straps with a double overhand grip, and for comments I have read on other forums, like you could lift 50-100 pounds more with straps is just s**tE, if you have not got the back strength then they ain't going to add anything, unless you have a weak grip.

Well, I've only just switched to powerlifting. My best deadlift with straps last year was 240kg. Whenever I tried without straps, I was really struggling with 170kg. That's a difference of 154lbs,so that difference sounds feasible to me.

Now I'm up to 215kg without straps (which are now banished) but it still feels a very different lift.
» RAW powerlifting records (Go to post)05-02-2008 @ 17:34 
little_a said:
The only place that people actually care about what we do are 1) in competitions and 2) on such forums as this. Dont make the mistake of thinking that anyone outside of our own circle actually cares what we do. The best you can hope for is ignorant curiosity, which will no doubt piss you off more than just being ignored.

Normal people = dicks

Absolutely. If someone asks how much I "lift", and I tell them, it's always met with a blank look.

It amazes me that non-weightlifters are really, really useless at estimating weights. For example, if you ask someone to estimate the width of a TV, they can do it reasonably accurately. But if they have to pick it up and estimate its weight, they've no idea. This being the case, if you tell someone you've deadlifted 230kg, you might as well say you've lifted 9.4 phlobilons - they have no inkling what it means. Even putting it into stones doesn't always help.
» Bench Press Technique (Go to post)05-02-2008 @ 17:23 
I think most over-helpful spotters genuinely don't realise how much help they are giving. Even with two index fingers under the bar, I reckon that could be 5-10kg. For a two plates a side bench is, well, 5-10% of the total weight. That makes a huge difference.

There are two lads in our gym who do an estimated 10-14 sets of Smith machine bench presses, and very little else, per session. Lad no. 1 measures the distance for Lad no 2 to lower the bar. This is a sideways fist + thunb +little finger extended. It would be a good six-eight inches from his chest. However, no 2 doesn't even get that far, he is a good couple of inches above this. It must be the equivalent of a six-seven board press.

WTF they hope to achieve, I've no idea. I did ask about the reasoning behind it, but the lad told me it's "just the way he does them". Fine.
» Bench Press Technique (Go to post)04-02-2008 @ 21:47 
i would say 90% + of the punters in my gym are "team bench pressers/upright rowers".

I'm seriously thinking of getting a T shirt with "The bench press is not a couple's event" printed on it.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)04-02-2008 @ 21:11 
Also, I'm chasing your total Rick (though mine is only in the gym Happy )
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)04-02-2008 @ 21:09 
Thanks gents, comments are much appreciated.

I think I could probably get 155kg. The main problem is that I get quite a lot of pain on the way down and this really limits me on heavier poundages. I am trying (a) cissus supplementation (b) face pulls and lots of back work (c) elbows in, shoulderblades squeezed etc (d) stretching (when I remember).

I went to see an Active Release Therapist in London for a brachioradialis/brachialis issue and he was really good, if I could just get down there again, I'm sure he would help my chest/shoulder issues.
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)04-02-2008 @ 18:17 
Monday 4/2/08

Couldn't resist having a little play on deadlifts to see how my grip was coming along. It held up well until 220, where it slipped just as I was locking out. I think the bars here might be a little slippier than in some places which doesn't help.

Never mind, that's a 15kg PB without straps for me. Had a little break from high percentage bench press as well. 130 for 10 touch and go, whereas I was doing 137.5 X8 before I swapped to powerlifting training Unhappy . So max RM strength doesn't necessarily help with strength for reps.

Deadlift 170 X 1, 180 X 1, 190 X 1, 200 X 1, 210 X 1, 215 X 1

Hyperextensions body X 10, 2.5 X 10, 5 X 10, 5 X 10

Bench Press (touch and go) 130 X 10

Lying DB extensions 26.5 X 6,5,5
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)01-02-2008 @ 17:59 
Squats are getting harder now - I need to back off on the poundages and do some more rep work. I tried front squats just to see if they were as uncomfortable as I remember. Yep, even more so if anything, despite the miniscule poundage.

Squats (about 90-95% 1RM) 195 X 1,1,1,1

Front squats 70 X 6, 80 X 5

Bench Press (paused, about 95% 1RM), worked up to: 145 X 1, 1

Decline CG bench press (Smith machine) 105 X 10, 125 X 6, 5

Static holds 4-5 sets.

Face pulls "15" X 8,8,6
» Goals of 2008 Thread (Go to post)31-01-2008 @ 18:55 
Late in the day, but I've just spotted this thread.

I've never been in a competition, but I believe that my following current lifts would pass muster in a competition:

Squat 192.5
Bench 142.5
Deadlift 200

(All raw)

In addition,I can clean and military press 100kg.

I can do all these except the military press fairly comfortably, so my projected current maxes are a bit higher. As I'm my first few months of dedicated powerlifting (though I've been lifting in some form for 30 years), I'm hoping I can make good progress.

My goals are:

1. Squat 227.5
2. Bench 165
3. Deadlift 230
4. Military Press 110
5. Attend some competitions, so I can see what it's all about

I have deadlifted 240 with straps, so it's a question of whether I can improve my grip sufficiently.
» Which classic car? (Go to post)31-01-2008 @ 18:26 
Dan said:

I was one of the founder members of the Uk Supra owners group. I had my first Twin Turbo Supra about 10 years ago and have since owned at least 20. They are superb, even today there isn't anything that is an awful lot better, especially if you take the cats off and turn the boost up a little bit Happy

Wey-hey! Excellent.

Are you on mkivsupra.net at all?
» Which classic car? (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 22:02 
Rick said:
I was actually thinking not a couple of weeks ago that I'd really fancy one of those (with an autobox, for preference).

It's a great autobox, very responsive. I loved it. I've just converted to a manual, though, as it couldn't cope with the power. I think I like it as a manual even more.

The UK variants were 40K when they came out! I had a UK model before this one and it was a fantastic touring car. It drank petrol though, mind you, this one gets through fuel like the space shuttle.
» Ralph and Edna (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 21:42 
Martin1956 said:
Mental hospitals don't have swimming pools. But if they did, they would have attendants, because some of the users would be loopy and pose a threat to themselves.

The mental hospital in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" had one, and that was filmed in a real mental hospital. But, as you hypothesize, it did have attendants.

All my dressing gown belts have frayed and even broken, so I don't think it's feasible that it ould hold a grown man. The whole story sounds made up.
» Which classic car? (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 21:31 
Post Edited: 30.01.2008 @ 21:32 PM
I think the Toyota Supra MKIV, 15 years old now, is a classic (one man's classic is another man's japcrap, maybe). Toyota build quality, stunning chassis and performance. Non-aspirated ons are under 5k and turbos not far behind. Here's mine:
[IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/Tannhauser_bucket/sal...
» Can't deadlift for toffee (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 18:26 
Baz said:
Also, If you add I really want to work my pecs and feel the burn their more likely to understand what your after. Grin

Ah yes, of course - the direct route into the simple brain of the average commercial gym member.

Wednesday 30th Jan

Introduced some shoulder work on its own day. Using moderate poundage as I don't want to destroy my front delts for benching on Friday.

Fat bas***d Chins 5,5,5,4
Standing military press 70 X 5, 75 X 5, 80 X 4, 82.5 X 4
Reverse curls (EZ bar) 37 X 8, 42 X 6, 44.5 X 5
Grip work 4 sets
Sit ups (40kg DB on chest) X 10, 10
» White underpants (Go to post)30-01-2008 @ 18:18 
Thank God for this thread. I no longer need to feel ashamed of, and isolated by, my non-pristine undercarriage.

12345678910 ... ... 90919293949596979899100

You are here: HomeForumTannhauser → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions