Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitIbuprofen

Ibuprofen

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

little_a said:
You're right to be scared. Drug taking leads to drug taking. It's a fact. Todays Ibuprofen is tomorrows Heroin. Either grab ahold of something and enjoy the ride on white line highway, hoping you come out the other side, or ditch the chemicals. Don't be easily led. Be your own person.

I'll be f**king damned if you started on ibuprofen! Probably a quick skin up of solid and some cider more like Wink
Cuddles said:
I'll be f**king damned if you started on ibuprofen! Probably a quick skin up of solid and some cider more like Wink

Busted lol
I used to take quite alot until I started stretching every day. I rarely need to take any now.
ironcolin
dave_rogerson said:
I can only talk about what I have felt and I am no Mark Clegg when it comes to weightlifting.
I notice a few things, really. Firstly there is a loss of fatigue in that I feel better/well (particularly when run down, there is a link between inflammation and fatigue from training I suspect). Next thing is that of course muscle and joint aches and pains are less (to be expected). The third thing is that I become more flexible/ mobile in my hips. So, if I was warming up and had ibuprofen prior I would notice that I would feel loose and move much more fluidly. If doing something that requires lots of ROM like a snatch or Clean, I find that getting into the right positions is really easy, making the lifts feel so much better.

Jeez, I'd never thought of it like that. Makes sense.
And for those popping ibuprofen, are you doing it for the analgesic effect or the anti inflammatory?

I would have thought if you were using it just pre workout 2 or 3 times a week, the effect you are 'benefitting' from is analgesic in which case I'd half the dose of ibuprofen and make up the rest with paracetamol. Of course thats different for someone like Cleggy if he was popping them pre workout 5-6 times a week.
dave_rogerson said:
I can only talk about what I have felt and I am no Mark Clegg when it comes to weightlifting.
I notice a few things, really. Firstly there is a loss of fatigue in that I feel better/well (particularly when run down, there is a link between inflammation and fatigue from training I suspect). Next thing is that of course muscle and joint aches and pains are less (to be expected). The third thing is that I become more flexible/ mobile in my hips. So, if I was warming up and had ibuprofen prior I would notice that I would feel loose and move much more fluidly. If doing something that requires lots of ROM like a snatch or Clean, I find that getting into the right positions is really easy, making the lifts feel so much better.

I took them a few times last month when my tendonitis was pretty bad and my experience was pretty much identical to yours. Could drop into the receiving position completely pain free and with good mobility. Haven't taken them since then and my knees are twice as bad now.

I dunno. I'm not exactly a good PLer or WLer, nor am I old, so I think there are ways for me to progress without relying on NSAIDs. If I was anywhere close to elite I'd most likely be popping them regularly.
adillon10 said:So I get there on my first day just in time for the PM session with the team and I quote...

"Oh my god, I can feel the meth sweating out of my body."

Hisaka, S. (2013).

Lol that's amazing. Btw, why would they cut down close to comps? Wouldn't they want to be 100% pain free when they're smashing the high intensity weights?

dave_rogerson said:
I think the issue with NSAIDs like ibuprofen is that their mechanism of action works on an enzymatic level and has effects that are not just localised (hence the gut problems people experience). I would imagine that because of the mode of action and the magnitude of its' effects being as they are, that ibuprofen would have a much greater effect. I suppose with inflammation and that you need a normal amount; neither too much nor too little would good.
Good point about icing though, I'm sure there was a debate about it all not so long ago.

Cheers for that, makes sense.
MrSmall
MarkClegg said:

Weightlifting is far more brutal on the body than even strongman and you've got a guy who doesn't even snatch advising you to try f**king garlic bread instead :!!!

PMSL
Ibuprofen. Naproxen. Diclofenac. Tramadol. I've taken them all fairly lately and (maybe foolishly) don't care because it aids my training. However during phases further away from a competition I do cut back. But ive had a comp every month feb - June. Sometimes 2 a month.

My doctor told me to double up on 'profen. So I do.
JackRevans said:jim blanchflower has told me on multiple occasions not to take ibuprofen before training because it stops your blood from coagulating so if you get a small muscle tear it will bleed a lot and become a larger muscle tear

He's almost completely wrong. Ibuprofen is not an anticoagulant. He's probably confusing Ibuprofen with Aspirin, but he'd still be wrong. Aspirin is an anti-platelet, not an anticoagulant.

ironcolin said:Seems like a lot of you use quite a lot of the stuff pre workout, what's the performance benefits if any?

It doesn't have any direct performance benefits, it simply reduces pain and makes training much easier. I'm going through a little knee/calve pain recently and have been taking Ibuprofen pre-workout. I forgot yesterday, and everything felt 20kg heavier. Much more difficult to get depth in the squat for example.
I'm currently taking 1x500mg of Naproxen per day. I have a few issues and not enough time to sort them out before the worlds next month, so I'm just trying to hang on until after that. As a general rule, I try not to take pain killers and fix the problem instead, but sometimes we have to make a choice...
dave_rogerson
Really interesting to read what other people do/ have done. I suppose what what would be interesting to know is how much of what drugs would be considered to be least harmful/ acceptable if needed.

I think everyone agrees then that long-term consistent usage prior to each session is probably not a good idea and that looking at and fixing the causes of the issues has to be the number one priority, but seems like for some people there will be situations that require something every now and then.

Now I don't want to speak for anyone else or give out advice because I'm not qualified to do so, but the last Dr I saw about my hips (a consultant in rheumatology and Sports Medicine)was OK with me using Ibuprofen prior to training if required (a couple of times a week).

Anyway, I am gonna look into this a bit more and report back if I find anything interesting.
Ibuprofen gel is a godsend - it probably causes cancer, makes dolphins infertile and leads to male-patterned baldness; but it really gets to work on one ache; whilst avoiding the rigors of life inflicted on the rest of your body.

My doctor told me to take it, to avoid any issues from the pills.
danbaseley said:Ibuprofen gel is a godsend - it probably causes cancer, makes dolphins infertile and leads to male-patterned baldness; but it really gets to work on one ache; whilst avoiding the rigors of life inflicted on the rest of your body.

My doctor told me to take it, to avoid any issues from the pills.

I personally found that the gel did f**k all! Unhappy
shanejer
Ben_F said:
Shane was taking lots... on an empty stomach.

Lol

Yeah sometimes 2000mg ED for about a year or so.

Now I take 600mg on a full stomache pre training but only for 3 of my sessions

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitIbuprofen
Return to top View Desktop Site