REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 207 guests

Going between highbar Oly and lowbar powerlifting squat?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

ironcolinIconGoing between highbar Oly and lowbar powerlifting squat?05-03-2014 @ 13:47 
Member 2552, 848 posts
SQ 190, BP 160, DL 220
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.03.2014 @ 14:07 PM by ironcolin
After watching the amount of amazing squat videos on here of late, it got me thinking.

Over the last 6 months or so I've went from a lowbar powerlifting style squat to the highbar/midbar Oly squat thinking it would have more carryover to other strongman events and help develop a better balance of leg strength.

That being said, I've been struggling to squat a weight required for an up and coming comp so had a dabble at the wider stance lower bar squat and was surprised that it felt so difficult at weights I warm up with usually. My thinking was that usually power lifters can squat more with that technique.

Now, looking at recent videos of James Ward, Tom Martin, Hixxy and co, they go against the grain and squat super weights highbar.

Now the questions I've had in my head,

Can you squat more powerlifting style? Or does it not matter, if you squat often enough with either style will the strength eventually come?

And, should you switch between the 2 styles to strengthen all areas?

Think I maybe open a can of worms here sorry
KevC86Icon...05-03-2014 @ 17:29 
Member 5141, 4211 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
While I'm sure others will disagree, my personal suggestion would be:

Squat however feels most comfortable for you.

If that's high bar or low bar makes no real difference. As for switching between the two, I don't really see a lot of benefit to that idea (in strength terms, from a bodybuilding perspective I'd suggest its probably quite beneficial to vary stances and possibly even bar position)
JackRevansIcon...05-03-2014 @ 17:39 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
ironcolin said:

Now, looking at recent videos of James Ward, Tom Martin, Hixxy and co, they go against the grain and squat super weights highbar.

not to mention that amazingly strong and facially aesthetic jack revans chap... Happy

I have been squatting high bar atg like a mother trucker since tom encouraged me to do so over a year ago. i am now stronger like this than i ever was low bar.

i have since attempted low bar once or twice and it just feels horrible and weird. Maybe if i made a real attempt to switch back and cut the range of motion to just a little below parallel i would be stronger, however firstly i am injury prone and this would probably make me more likely to get injured and secondly high bar is cooler in my opinion.

does this answer your question? i cant remember what it was but that is my story
JohnGymIcon...05-03-2014 @ 17:43 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I will be squatting twice a week low bar and once a week high bar and will be attempting a max lift on each once every 4 weeks.

I have squatted much more low bar than high bar. This is probably because I have have done much more low bar squatting.

I find HIgh Bar Squats cause me significant knee pain in the day following my training.
kingham22Icon...05-03-2014 @ 18:27 
my face was on fire
Member 494, 2394 posts
SQ 250, BP 150, DL 320
720.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
your question " should you switch between the 2 styles "

if it benefits you then id say yes.

as some have mentioned they have switched and found the new one to be horrible or they squatted less weight. so probably not a great deal of help for them.

I however (when my biceps a coroporating) find that each style complements the other.

give it a try
ironcolinIcon...05-03-2014 @ 18:38 
Member 2552, 848 posts
SQ 190, BP 160, DL 220
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:While I'm sure others will disagree, my personal suggestion would be:

Squat however feels most comfortable for you.

If that's high bar or low bar makes no real difference. As for switching between the two, I don't really see a lot of benefit to that idea (in strength terms, from a bodybuilding perspective I'd suggest its probably quite beneficial to vary stances and possibly even bar position)

That's makes sense, was just wondering if by solely focusing on one style are we missing out on strength gainz?
ironcolinIcon...05-03-2014 @ 18:40 
Member 2552, 848 posts
SQ 190, BP 160, DL 220
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.03.2014 @ 18:42 PM by ironcolin
JackRevans said:
not to mention that amazingly strong and facially aesthetic jack revans chap... Happy
I have been squatting high bar atg like a mother trucker since tom encouraged me to do so over a year ago. i am now stronger like this than i ever was low bar.
i have since attempted low bar once or twice and it just feels horrible and weird. Maybe if i made a real attempt to switch back and cut the range of motion to just a little below parallel i would be stronger, however firstly i am injury prone and this would probably make me more likely to get injured and secondly high bar is cooler in my opinion.
does this answer your question? i cant remember what it was but that is my story

This would answer my theory of stick with one style long enough the strength will come eventually. You also mentioned when you squatted wide stance low bar you were injury prone, I was also when squatting that style. I was forever having groin problems.

And I agree, high bar oly style is cooler!
jreppIcon...05-03-2014 @ 18:55 
Member 299, 579 posts
SQ 250, BP 200, DL 282.5
732.5 kgs @ 109kgs UnEq
I squat more with a pl squat but use paused oly squat to stregthen the quads and to help keep my core strong. iF my oly squat goes up then I know my pl squat will go up..

I did 210 paused 220 no pause easy oly then 2 week later 250pl squat last year
JackRevansIcon...05-03-2014 @ 19:00 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
ironcolin said:
This would answer my theory of stick with one style long enough the strength will come eventually. You also mentioned when you squatted wide stance low bar you were injury prone, I was also when squatting that style. I was forever having groin problems.
And I agree, high bar oly style is cooler!

lots of great lifters switch between different ways of lifting. ed coan and dan green come to mind
GATESIcon...05-03-2014 @ 20:01 
What's your thoughts on one legged drills?
Member 1725, 4343 posts
SQ 250, BP 125, DL 272.5
647.5 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/09/13/pillars-squat/
ironcolinIcon...05-03-2014 @ 20:23 
Member 2552, 848 posts
SQ 190, BP 160, DL 220
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
AMH_PowerIcon...05-03-2014 @ 21:06 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Depends on lots of factors. Depends on your strengths and weaknesses, AND femur/spine length. More importantly, what feels natural. A well trained high bar would beat a poorly trained low bar and vice versa.

I advocate high bar as it will be a much easier transition to start low bar, but the opposite is not true. Everyone I have ever met with a decent high bar has a decent lowbar, but I can not say the same for the opposite.

I used to lowbar to 'save my knees', but I came to the conclusion my knees were weak from lack of highbar, not that highbar was bad for them. If anything, the knee is most vulnerable at 90 degrees. Under full flexion and extension there is protective mechanisms, but not inbetween...anyhow I'll save the science and just recommend high bar, more frequently than what you did lowbar but without any grind lifts...make them fluent and increase your code rate, gains will follow.
AMGIcon...05-03-2014 @ 21:21 
Member 3970, 183 posts
SQ 200, BP 130, DL 245
575.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
upon discovering what a low bar squat was I started to squat low bar, and squatted 210kg at 78kg. I then switch as it put a lot of pressure on my lower back and just felt like high bar squatting again. Im currently high bar squatting 170kg for 3 sets of 5.

As it happens last training session, I wanted to squat low bar, I couldn't even pick 140kg up in the warm up as it just felt so unnatural after not low bar squatting in 6 months.

In my opinion I could high bar squat maybe 200kg now but could not low bar squat it even though I have in the past unless I worked my way up again. However, If i have carried on low bar squatting my squat would have been a lot higher squatting low bar than high.
slimsimIcon...05-03-2014 @ 21:31 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
AMG said:In my opinion I could high bar squat maybe 200kg now but could not low bar squat it even though I have in the past unless I worked my way up again. However, If i have carried on low bar squatting my squat would have been a lot higher squatting low bar than high.

Out of interest, how long has it taken you to get to your current high bar poundage compared to your low bar 1rm?

I've always squatted high bar apart from toying with it in a few sessions as I thought the hip/glute involvement may help my clean and snatch pulls. It was not only so uncomfortable on my hips but also my shoulders that I quickly sacked the idea off. Even 100kg felt awful.

I thought (and could well be wrong) low bar squatting was more popular in equipped lifting so maybe it's days could be numbered based on rise of raw competitions? I certainly don't think it's a movement which most people automatically feel comfortable with whereas high bar, is a fairly natural, athletic movement.

Have I gone completely off topic?
jreppIcon...05-03-2014 @ 21:37 
Member 299, 579 posts
SQ 250, BP 200, DL 282.5
732.5 kgs @ 109kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
Out of interest, how long has it taken you to get to your current high bar poundage compared to your low bar 1rm?
I've always squatted high bar apart from toying with it in a few sessions as I thought the hip/glute involvement may help my clean and snatch pulls. It was not only so uncomfortable on my hips but also my shoulders that I quickly sacked the idea off. Even 100kg felt awful.
I thought (and could well be wrong) low bar squatting was more popular in equipped lifting so maybe it's days could be numbered based on rise of raw competitions? I certainly don't think it's a movement which most people automatically feel comfortable with whereas high bar, is a fairly natural, athletic movement.
Have I gone completely off topic?

I would say for most it seems easier to learn high bar.low bar takes time

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions