REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 6 members and 124 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts

View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... ... 8485868788899091929394

» BFR training (Go to post)16-01-2021 @ 11:11 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Incredible knowledge!

Is that when people do curls with a strap around their upper arms?

That's the one mate, the crazy thing is even BFR(I think the in 'term' of it is 'occlusion training') with loads around 20~30% of 1RM yields larger absolute strength increases above and beyond normal strength training methods in just about any literature on it.

See above though regarding myo-reps; the effect is identical. I get more from 3 sessions of myo-reps than a full volume block in terms of phase potentiation. It means I can induce a very notable uptick in conditioning without any notable fall off in force production in contrast to a traditional volume block or linear method.

I now use velocity to track my performance; and can now confirm objectively what I already knew subjectively with respect to these.

Also, a very neat trick which goes in the face of all programming models, is doing myo-reps a week before testing.

I can only speculate that a final 'myo-rep washout' is so effective because it creates a low level overreach before a final deload, OR... a single exposure of myo-reps is enough to reinstate all the slower/smaller fibres which are neglected with low reps high weight (high loads means they are still recruited, but not fatigued which is a requirement for adaptation according to hennemans size principle).

In any case, they are ahead of the curve from a training perspective and well researched despite them being under utilised (if at all) and are now my go to for reintroducing training, or the very final session of a peaking block.

The other positive is, a full session can be done in VERY short time. They can also be utilised with less equipment or any movement, including push-ups etc. A point to note, is they may alter your force/velocity curve, so I wouldn't use them as a main training method... more like a tool when needed or for the above mentioned exploits.
» BFR training (Go to post)16-01-2021 @ 10:57 
PeteHodgson said:Cheers Aaron.
Was looking into it to reduce the load on my ankle and realised it is also used for rehab.

What did you do to the ankle mate? Injured mine last year going arse over tit on a hoverboard...

I found the most effective thing for myself was creating strength at the extremes of its ROM; either by someone holding it in various terminal positions of my range of movement and then trying to return it to neutral with them resisting, or by using bands in place of a person to mimic them (I looped the band around the end of my footwear and attached the other end to a fixed object, then sat at varying angles from it)

It seemingly wasn't recovering at all until I did this, was giving me grief for 2+ months!

The crazy thing is, the bottom of my squat felt stronger; I must've had s**t proprioception and/or ankle strength in the first place!
» BFR training (Go to post)13-01-2021 @ 21:53 
PeteHodgson said:Or Occlusion training.
Anyone tried it?

I haven't but I would if I was injured and there was a way for me to successfully employ it to a limb.

That said, some breathing strategies with short rests can have a very similar effect when looking at biomarkers during and after with regards to disrupted z-lines and damage to the sarcolemma (myo-reps in particular).

Instead of restricting venous return (which keeps a higher concentrate of waste products and so calling on a larger MU recruitment due to artificial fatigue), myoreps keep the most strength/size-irrelevant fibres in a state of fatigue, so every back off set calls upon the larger MU's in accordance with hennemans size principle.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)22-12-2020 @ 21:51 
AdamT said:Aaron's a f**king gentleman and has put out some real quality stuff on here

His programming is fantastic imo and had great success hitting pbs in February past due to his advice and one of his earlier templates

He is a massive asset to the forum

I appreciate this mate, thank you.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)22-12-2020 @ 21:50 
Funky_monkey said:
Pistol squats. Never been able to do them.

You tried doing them holding a disc out to the front mate? Makes a massive difference, they become more of a strength lift than gymnastics haha.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)22-12-2020 @ 19:45 
Funky_monkey said:
Er.... I can't do the exercises on day 1 of week 1!

Haha the percentage?

I don't tolerate volume, so I typically use my opener as a 1RM to base % off in block 1, second lift in block 2, and last known pb for block 3/4.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)22-12-2020 @ 18:19 
As promised.

The only thing to note is that any percentage is based on the variation quoted (eg. 3x5x70% close grip bench, would be 70% of close grip max (best guess if you don't know).

The only exception to this is the supramaximal stuff, for example high rack pulls at 110% is of your deadlift 1RM. Bench unracks at 120% is of your bench 1RM... etc.

Hypertrophy block optional but recommended if you haven't done a volume block in a while, are a beginner, or have recently peaked and need to bring conditioning back up to scratch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/121nASyma_sZnTrbaes9iW76_jy_xIcNi/view?usp=sharing
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)21-12-2020 @ 21:15 
Funky_monkey said:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28L2vpYBqdk

Check out the kid at the end of the video! Also, I like how a majority of the comments are regarding said kid as opposed to the lifter who's the main topic of the video.

Ha ha amazing. The comments cracking me up, imagine accusing a child of lying about his height/weight/age/lifts because he's stronger than them. He sat in the room proper upset over it, but I'll let it fuel his success.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)20-12-2020 @ 21:42 
And the days bench:

225kg is at 19 mins too

https://youtu.be/VOwDBkApgYU
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)20-12-2020 @ 21:37 
The whole days squats consolidated:

https://youtu.be/9eCbBIKBDLY

Fin (stepson is the first on the video)

My heaviest squat was 305kg at 19mins bang on.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)20-12-2020 @ 15:53 
Funky_monkey said:
Ignorance is bliss in this instance, although it would be fking hilarious to see grown men getting owned and mocked by a 12 year old for doing half squats with a much lesser weight.
Would love to see the routine you used to peak for the comp.
Do you think I can blame my weakness on my diet? Inconsistent/lower protein intake, eat what's cooked at home (90 year old mediterranean woman's diet, eat what's at home sorta thing)

It could be but it might just be passion. Sometimes regaining the fire or even atmosphere can help.

I probably only get 200g of protein a day max
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)20-12-2020 @ 15:52 
Happy days, when I get home tomorrow I'll remove my numbers and replace with Percentages and then bang it up on Google drive for you all no drama.

I'll also replace any accessory slots with their purpose (so close grip bench would be replaced with "variation to bias to weak bench muscle") etc.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)20-12-2020 @ 01:11 
PeteHodgson said:Incredible lifting by both of you!
Seriously crazy weights for both. But your stepson is (with the greatest of respect) an absolute freak!

Haha stronger than I was at that age for certain.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)20-12-2020 @ 01:08 
Haha thanks. I think it's genuinely because he doesn't know any different. The only other people he's seen lift beyond myself, is another lad I coach with an 800kg total and Luke Richardson and crew when I've taken him to the shed.

I'm trying to shield him from casuals as to not let it skew his perspective on what strong is; as if he starts to approach what he deems as strong then it gives from for complacency to breathe.

If he thinks he's weak but knows he has good genetics (he's actually gangly/skinny as s**t, but 5'11) then he's on the road to glory as far as he's concerned.

As rigid and structured as his training is, it's actually quite rounded and not too powerlifting specific (yet) in the nature of nurturing natural physiological changes without too much disruption that heavy loading can cause...

I say this, but got my 14 year old daughter to a 180kg deadlift.

The video of the full comp is going up at some point so will link as soon as it does.

Ps. Happy to share our prep programme for this event.
» Strength decline with age? (Go to post)19-12-2020 @ 18:36 
Post Edited: 19.12.2020 @ 18:36 PM by AMH_Power
Just following up my claim, todays local competition:

Squat:
280- Literally couldn't gauge difficulty
305- Very easy, life time pb.
320- Rocked on to my heels during the descent, nearly recovered it but not today. I'm absolutely capable of this. Felt like the balance f**ked me more than the weight but it is what it is.

Bench:
205- Felt like s**t
215- Felt like s**t
225- Felt like RPE8, liftime comp pb (and paused lifetime pb).

Deadlift:

280- Comfy
305- Comfy but very slow, more in the tank for sure. Matched lifetime pb.
Skipped 3rd lift; still leaving me +15kg lifetime total pb with plenty in the tank.

Weighed in at 102kg too!

MY 12 year old step son also lifted, he did 175/90/180 all comfy at 80kg.

12345678910 ... ... 8485868788899091929394

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto