12345678910 ... ... 1718192021222324252627

NimbleIcon...01-06-2016 @ 07:44 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Fatpete said:
yet you don't say why

It fails before it even begins! The EU is not about pooling money and resources. The EU budget is tiny compared with national budgets. It's primarily about about making a large market (although it has grown beyond that), and building the regulatory framework necessary to facilitate that... something that in no way resembles a bunch of families setting up a gym together.
FatpeteIcon...01-06-2016 @ 07:46 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17891 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Nimble said:
It fails before it even begins! The EU is not about pooling money and resources. The EU budget is tiny compared with national budgets. It's primarily about about making a large market (although it has grown beyond that), and building the regulatory framework necessary to facilitate that... something that in no way resembles a bunch of families setting up a gym together.

Thank you
dr_hazbunIcon...01-06-2016 @ 08:04 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
You can debate from now till the cows come home whether we'd be financially better off in or out. Some very clever people have made some estimates and predictions but they're educated guesses.

People will eventually vote for what they think suits themselves, their families and their livelihoods. We kid ourselves slightly thinking that when we vote, we do so for the greater good of the nation, but when it comes to something like this, we will vote for what we think keeps up in jobs etc. And I don't blame people for doing so.

Immigration is an emotive topic. Leaving the EU in order to sort out immigration is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut; a nut that may prove to be made of titanium. It's a clumsy, over the top and misguided approach...and may not be as effective as people think. There are other ways to sort immigration out and leaving the EU for that sole reason is a mistake IMO.
macrothIcon...01-06-2016 @ 08:45 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
This is off some Facebook post, but I basically agree with it. I think it's a more solid basis for discussion than if's and maybe's and scaremongering on either side of the debate.

"What did the EU ever do for us?

Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;

structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;

clean beaches and rivers;

cleaner air;

lead free petrol;

restrictions on landfill dumping;

a recycling culture;

cheaper mobile charges;

cheaper air travel;

improved consumer protection and food labelling;

a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;

better product safety;

single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;

break up of monopolies;

Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;

no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;

price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;

freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;

funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;

access to European health services;

labour protection and enhanced social welfare;

smoke-free workplaces;

equal pay legislation;

holiday entitlement;

the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;

strongest wildlife protection in the world;

improved animal welfare in food production;

EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;

EU representation in international forums;

bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;

EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;

European arrest warrant;

cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;

European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;

support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;

investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.

It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.

Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,
Lecturer in international political economy, University of York"
SteveIcon...01-06-2016 @ 09:15 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 01.06.2016 @ 09:30 AM by Steve
macroth said:This is off some Facebook post, but I basically agree with it. I think it's a more solid basis for discussion than if's and maybe's and scaremongering on either side of the debate.

Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;

structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;

clean beaches and rivers;

cleaner air;

lead free petrol;

restrictions on landfill dumping;

a recycling culture;

cheaper mobile charges;

cheaper air travel;

improved consumer protection and food labelling;

a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;

better product safety;

single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;

break up of monopolies;

Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;

no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;

price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;

freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;

funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;

access to European health services;

labour protection and enhanced social welfare;

smoke-free workplaces;

equal pay legislation;

holiday entitlement;

the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;

strongest wildlife protection in the world;

improved animal welfare in food production;

EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;

EU representation in international forums;

bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;

EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;

European arrest warrant;

cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;

European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;

support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;

investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.

It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.

Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,
Lecturer in international political economy, University of York"

The majority of this could have been achieved without the EU however and as they say with investments, past performance is no guarantee of future results.
SteveIcon...01-06-2016 @ 09:18 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Nimble said:
It's primarily about about making a large market (although it has grown beyond that), and building the regulatory framework necessary to facilitate that... .

If the EU had stuck to this i suspect almost nobody would be arguing against it.
NimbleIcon...01-06-2016 @ 09:23 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
macroth said:This is off some Facebook post, but I basically agree with it. I think it's a more solid basis for discussion than if's and maybe's and scaremongering on either side of the debate.

So much nonsense from both sides of the debate.

Most if not all of those things would have happened without the EU. See similar policy in advanced economies all over the world.

The most ridiculous one is the EU's "greatest achievements"... even countries like Russia, China, as well as much of Asia, etc. have all been peaceful since WWII. All places with a history of a lot bloodshed in previous centuries! Attributing the peace to the EU is crazy. Much of Europe wasn't in the EU for a lot of that time! And "centuries of bloodshed"? Much of Europe was pretty peaceful for most of the 1800s. Amazing this guy is allowed to teach at a University.
scruffmcbuffIcon...01-06-2016 @ 09:38 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
macroth said:

a ban on growth hormones

Unhappy
NimbleIcon...01-06-2016 @ 09:43 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Steve said:
If the EU had stuck to this i suspect almost nobody would be arguing against it.

I doubt it. They consider free movement of people one of the cornerstones of the single market ("goods, capital, services, and people")... Rightly or wrongly, anger at open immigration is one of the biggest draws for the Leave camp
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...01-06-2016 @ 09:46 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
The most annoying thing is that every time I visit a Wetherspoon's it is on the beer mats!!
macrothIcon...01-06-2016 @ 10:01 
Member 3517, 3368 posts
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Saying all the results of European cooperation would have happened anyway strikes me as a bit odd. What would be the incentive? Where else have countries cooperated to the same level without a framework to do so?

Nimble said:
I doubt it. They consider free movement of people one of the cornerstones of the single market ("goods, capital, services, and people")... Rightly or wrongly, anger at open immigration is one of the biggest draws for the Leave camp

People are angry because too many Italians and Belgians coming to the UK? Confused
SteveIcon...01-06-2016 @ 10:01 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Nimble said:

But does it need to be? Does free trade actually require free movement of people?
SteveIcon...01-06-2016 @ 10:07 
Member 255, 3732 posts
macroth said:Saying all the results of European cooperation would have happened anyway strikes me as a bit odd. What would be the incentive? Where else have countries cooperated to the same level without a framework to do so?
People are angry because too many Italians and Belgians coming to the UK? Confused

But regardless of whether these results would have happened in or out of the EU they are past events. Decisions need to be made based on what will happen in the future.

The EU in it's current format is clearly broken. A single currency doesn't work. There will have to be some significant changes sooner or later so I don't really see how the for or against sides can really have a clue what will happen in the future.
little_aIcon...01-06-2016 @ 10:22 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Nimble said:
even countries like Russia, China, as well as much of Asia, etc. have all been peaceful since WWII.

What? Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Afganistan (multiple times), India/Pakistan, Iraq/ Iran, brake up of the USSR into bickering factions, China is, well, China, the Balkans.......

Really peaceful Roll-Eyes
macrothIcon...01-06-2016 @ 10:36 
Member 3517, 3368 posts
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Nimble said:

The most ridiculous one is the EU's "greatest achievements"... even countries like Russia, China, as well as much of Asia, etc. have all been peaceful since WWII. All places with a history of a lot bloodshed in previous centuries! Attributing the peace to the EU is crazy. Much of Europe wasn't in the EU for a lot of that time! And "centuries of bloodshed"? Much of Europe was pretty peaceful for most of the 1800s. Amazing this guy is allowed to teach at a University.

So you say Russia/the USSR has been as peaceful as, say, France and Germany? That's ludicrous. Crimea, Ingushetia, North Caucasus, Georgia/Abkhazia, Tchechnya, Transnistria, Ossetia, Afghanistan, any of those ring a bell? Post-colonial wars are one thing, but in terms of armed conflict with its immediate neighbours, I would say the EU has a pretty strong record compared to the likes of Russia, or pre-WWII Europe in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conflicts_in_Europe

I don't know how you define "much of Europe" and "pretty peaceful", but a few things did happen in the 1800's.

If you look at that list you may notice something about post-WWII European conflicts. They don't usually, if at all, involve EU/EEC Member States. Maybe forming strong economic and political ties with the stated goal of avoiding armed conflict has something to do with it, maybe not.

12345678910 ... ... 1718192021222324252627

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitEU vote
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions