REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 366 guests

Strongman entry fees

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

CJRIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:20 
Member 4145, 1331 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 115, DL 220
507.5 kgs @ 100.4kgs UnEq
lol but surely since there is only ONE "World's Strongest Man" competition, there would only be one route to it via one "federation"? And this theoretical federation would use the exact same rules that WSM uses and has been using for years?
FazcIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:26 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Post Edited: 21.04.2013 @ 12:27 PM by Fazc
CJR said:lol but surely since there is only ONE "World's Strongest Man" competition, there would only be one route to it via one "federation"?

If only it were that simple.

Try asking the Powerlifting community who has the biggest squat of all time, and sit back and let fireworks begin.

Like I said, if there is one there will always be others. Better not have any. The sport has already growing massively over the last 10-15 years at the ground level in the UK. While the quality and standard of PL has only gotten worse and worse.

While Strongman might want even more coverage, quality of events, number of events etc just look at the quality and quantity of competitors coming through into the Opens in recent years. More people are getting involved at the ground level and more people are stepping up to get involved. It's already happening. One unified federation is not the be all and end all of a sport. It's not necessary. The current model is working.
shortandmightyIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:32 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 21.04.2013 @ 12:36 PM by shortandmighty
CJR said:lol but surely since there is only ONE "World's Strongest Man" competition, there would only be one route to it via one "federation"? And this theoretical federation would use the exact same rules that WSM uses and has been using for years?

Yes and no. There is one 'world's strongest man' currently but there used to be WSM and the IFSA, long story but once upon a time they worked together fell out went their separate ways and the IFSA folded. At national level you have: BSM, Uk's strongest man, Britains most powerful, Britians Natural strongest man amongst others.
This is nice to actually have a constructive discussion on Sugden without any arguing.Grin
CJRIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:36 
Member 4145, 1331 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 115, DL 220
507.5 kgs @ 100.4kgs UnEq
shortandmighty said:
Yes and no. There is one 'world's strongest man' currently but there used to be WSM and the IFSA, long story but once upon a time they worked together fell out went their separate ways and the IFSA folded. At national level you have: BSM, Uk's strongest man, Britains most powerful, Britians Natural strongest man amongst others.

Ah right, that kind of answers my question. I just thought there was one national comp, and that one comp granted entry to ESM, and then to WSM etc. Clearly need to brush up on my strongman knowledge!
JCIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:42 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 21.04.2013 @ 12:42 PM by JC
Comp venues, prize money etc has improved massively since I started 6+ years ago

If it has the following we are presuming it does, it will naturally evolve in the next 5 years ......maybe to the level some of you yearn for

As a middle of the road competitor, I really don't see much wrong with comps and venues at this point in time

As it stands at end of may, I would have done two indoor comps at sports centres and one at a huge show which attracts 1000s of visitors

Don't see that much wrong tbh! ?
fongIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:46 
really really interesting
Member 3474, 2816 posts
SQ 170, BP 120, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
midlands 105 this year was fantastically presented and maintained. we were in and out in less than 4 hours.

as a spectator, esm 2012 was awesome as well and ran smooth and quickly, with great communication between everyone. the venue was nice, they had charity buckets etc. that's all we need really Happy
FazcIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:48 
Member 38, 6253 posts
JC said:Don't see that much wrong tbh! ?

Agreed.

I did a local strongman comp way back in 2000. The regional scene as we know it now, was completely unheard of then. It's come a long way and I think it's happened in the right way, by smaller groups of highly motivated people who want to put on good competitions and then that feeds into the bigger picture. A unified federation would only impose limitations on a model which is currently working.
mr4130Icon...21-04-2013 @ 12:48 
Member 3366, 247 posts
SQ 200, BP 150, DL 230
580.0 kgs @ 92kgs UnEq
fong said:midlands 105 this year was fantastically presented and maintained. we were in and out in less than 4 hours.

as a spectator, esm 2012 was awesome as well and ran smooth and quickly, with great communication between everyone. the venue was nice, they had charity buckets etc. that's all we need really Happy

And they had GREAT cakes for sale!!!
tonyRAWIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:49 
Member 4417, 163 posts
SQ 200, BP 142.5, DL 262.5
605.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Fazc said:
If only it were that simple.
Try asking the Powerlifting community who has the biggest squat of all time, and sit back and let fireworks begin.
Like I said, if there is one there will always be others. Better not have any. The sport has already growing massively over the last 10-15 years at the ground level in the UK. While the quality and standard of PL has only gotten worse and worse.
While Strongman might want even more coverage, quality of events, number of events etc just look at the quality and quantity of competitors coming through into the Opens in recent years. More people are getting involved at the ground level and more people are stepping up to get involved. It's already happening. One unified federation is not the be all and end all of a sport. It's not necessary. The current model is working.

Wishful thinking bro, wishful thinking. Look at boxing or athletics, are they run the way strongman in run in the country? Strongman has no official website, no recognition from the sporting powers that be, no structure to bring talent into the sport, what you might have expected in medieval times.

If the Princes Trust or Sporting England wanted to support strongman, where would they start?

Then look at all this mumbling and moaning over entry fees, comps called "Novice" and spectators paying £12; you cannot convince me strongman is "working".
FazcIcon...21-04-2013 @ 12:55 
Member 38, 6253 posts
Post Edited: 21.04.2013 @ 12:58 PM by Fazc
tonyRAW said:
Wishful thinking bro, wishful thinking. Look at boxing or athletics, are they run the way strongman in run in the country? Strongman has no official website, no recognition from the sporting powers that be, no structure to bring talent into the sport, what you might have expected in medieval times.
If the Princes Trust or Sporting England wanted to support strongman, where would they start?
Then look at all this mumbling and moaning over entry fees, comps called "Novice" and spectators paying £12; you cannot convince me strongman is "working".

The thing is there actually is an increasing number of talented strongmen being bought into the sport. Just look at how many UK competitors are now breaking into the world scene. These are guys who started off going through the regionals. So clearly that is working.

In terms of moaning over fees and coverage, that will always happen it's just human nature. I think you're being very naive if you think a unified federation will solve that.

You do many a good point about coverage though. A website which specifically caters to all UK strongman competitions and updates would be useful as most are advertised directly through Sugden, as far as I know a few guys have already got one set up, so that is at least moving in the right direction.

I don't have to convince you, and neither am I trying to. The results clearly speak for themselves. The regional scene is massive compared to where it was 10 years ago. More UK competitors are breaking into the World scene and more people are stepping up to put on comps.
WILLSANIcon...21-04-2013 @ 13:04 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Why shouldn't people have a right to question entry fees? If a comp looks over priced ill say so! I said that European qualifier was too expensive. Why? Because the events looked boring as hell and it was being held in a gym. Plus, I don't know the promoter or whether they have a rep for putting decent comps on or not. I'm not going to fork out £40 for that. It's not 'mumbling and moaning'.
RDubzIcon...21-04-2013 @ 15:18 
English born and bred
Member 2537, 298 posts
Oh such a mess!! If this sport wants to move forward, we need to start keeping detailed records of times, weights etc of every national event and have them published for all to see, with all national records known eg Welsh u105 log record, who, what log, say 12" then there has to be a record for 10" + 8" right? same with farmers, what dia handles? records for various axle widths, does it rotate or fixed? was yoke n farmers drop n turn? again records. Its a huge task which needs to be started in the next national comp, it wont be perfect but it would be a start. Its varied equipment which makes the sport so great will be in danger of being diluted. BUT if official records are to be kept this moves us on to calibration of equipment, which imo is the biggest obstacle to strongman becoming mainstream.
macrothIcon...21-04-2013 @ 15:36 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Strongman alongside BB shows/PL comps: do it. At least 2 of our contests here in France are like that this year, it brings spectators and even future participants.

Single federation: easier when you're starting pretty much from scratch (Switzerland, France) and there aren't a bunch of comps already running.
unit94Icon...21-04-2013 @ 16:07 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
It's not in a mess at all! Strongman is definitely on the up, I don't think there is any urgent changes like federations needed. Hopefully the sport will gradually get more exposure as I think it has been doing.
craigmancIcon...21-04-2013 @ 16:12 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
If there was a Fed, who ever was in control people would moan

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions