Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsThe Assassin

The Assassin

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Nice power cleans tonight mate, moving well. They were indeed caught on film and will feature in tonights instalment of Adders action!!
Quality, Rick.
Got up at 5:45 in order to spend the day in Birmingham at the British Championship. Saw none of the women's lifting as I was crewing for Joe, who lifted excellently: 9 whites in the squat ending in an easy commonwealth record/PB 305 (and the biggest squat in the 90s), 170xx 175 180 bench for the equal best subtotal, and some good pulling (2/3) to finish third with a 750PB total. What can he do with a better buildup? We'll see next year Grin.

Carter won, comfortably, with a very impressive display. Dai's friend "Bomber" Watkins didn't (bomb), lifting very nicely indeed for second. We had thought Joe was fourth, but apparently the Danish chap in third (British bench champion) is actually not entitled to lift due to not being British and was declared a guest. I wonder if this means the bench title is changing hands too?

Got to watch the 100s and up (though Joe missed most of it through spending two hours trying to produce enough piss to fill a tester's cup) which had some very good lifting. Big Jim held the supers from an extremely impressive Irish guy who squatted without wraps and benched raw for a 910 total, Dean Bowring got two squats and one each on bench and deadlift to total 1000 exactly, Ben Banks of British Barbell impressed with an 840 win in the 110s. Icepick and his friend Guy Djedje both had good days, Guy benching 200 raw and the Iceman pulling 300. Both were notably happy with those particular lifts as they left the platform Happy.

Very good day's lifting.
Out of all the NW lifters I would say Joes squats impressed the most, the best I've seen him squat. Theere's plenty of headroom too, I could of see him managing another 10kg easily.
dr_hazbun
Hi Rick. Nice to meet you today. Some all round quality was on show today I thought.

My nominations for:

1) best squat:
- Joe's 305 at 90
- Dean Bowring's 390
- That Irish dude Brian Irwin's 335 unequipped squat Eek yes unequipped

2) best bench: difficult to say but I thought Guy Djeje's 200 raw bench at 107 really stood out. He's only 20 years old the beast.

3) best deadlift: Ben Banks' 330 at 108 was pretty sexy but there were loads of big deadlifts.
Monday 30th June, Adlington

Squat in Z-suit, working in with Big Phil, Little Ste and Adlington Mark, with Fat Pete in the opposite corner.
bw x10x3
20x10
70x5, then straps up for
115x5, then wraps and belt for
145x5
170x5 easy and solid
190x5 PB unnecessarily difficult due to stupidity, vis I wrapped my knees wrong. Never going to miss though.
165x5 easy

On the 190 I wrapped my left knee slightly high. In fact I basically wrapped the quad only. The first rep came up right leg then left leg, as I was getting next to nothing from the wrap; after that I was able to concentrate and keep it even. Lesson learned, this won't happen again.

Deadlift still in the suit
60x3
100x3
Pulls from blocks
140x3 I'm f**ked already Unhappy
180x3
205x3 probably a PB, but only equal to my floor PB so who cares
180x5 definitely a PB as I've never done 5s before, again who cares.

Done, home. Excellent day for the Adlington squat crew today!
fantastic squatting Rick,pb's a plenty at the moment!
Solid squatting Rick.

When are you going to throw some weight on the bar and start doing some heavy singles???
sam said:
Solid squatting Rick.
When are you going to throw some weight on the bar and start doing some heavy singles???

When the time is right and not before. The good doctor has seen the light and now does as he is told

Tongue
If you can do 190 x 5 with an odd wrap, you can do 200 with an even one
I'm pretty sure I can, yeah, Pete. In fact I was feeling distinctly off my game tonight (probably sleep deprivation from the early start Sunday), so I was very pleased with what I managed. There's certainly more there. Whether we take 200 in two weeks or take a step backwards to take more forwards, I will not know until Alan tells me on the day.

Sam - there won't be any heavy singles for a while, I don't think. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I've done five with my current best single before I do another... as Peter says, I just do as Alan tells me.
Rick said:
Sam - there won't be any heavy singles for a while, I don't think. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I've done five with my current best single before I do another... as Peter says, I just do as Alan tells me.

A similar quote Barry Nelson uses is "find a coach you believe in and do as you're told" You certainly seem to of come on in leaps and bounds this last 6 months, keep up the good work
Barrie's advice was one of the reasons I have surrendered my training entirely to Alan (though I think I would have anyway). It seems to work.
when are you squeezing on the katana?
Very nice squatting Rick. 200 x 5 would be very nice milestone

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsThe Assassin
Return to top View Desktop Site