Who's Online - 0 members and 139 guests

How pre-overtraining feels to you?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HUGE_GUYIcon...14-08-2015 @ 13:04 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
Nimble said:
Have you been to the doctor? That would seem like the first thing to do

Not yet, it was only yesterday i really looked into things. I was kidding myself that there was other reasons for my bad performances. Alot.of minor illnesses this year, probably linked.
Gp tomorrow
NimbleIcon...14-08-2015 @ 13:10 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
Not yet, it was only yesterday i really looked into things. I was kidding myself that there was other reasons for my bad performances. Alot.of minor illnesses this year, probably linked.
Gp tomorrow

Ok, great. Hope it's nothing serious, but it's always good to be sure!
AMH_PowerIcon...14-08-2015 @ 13:46 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Given what the human body is capable of in terms of adapting to the demands imposed, I think over training how we perceive it (fatigue) is debatable as real.

However, microtrauma when left to progress to macrotrauma is pretty real. But this is where intelligent programming comes in...

and not gauging the quality of the previous days sessions by how sore you are the following day, this is simply hydroxyproline signalling that you've damaged cells. Damaged cells do not equate to a positive adaptation; but one that will cause adhesion's which binds the fibril together which is massively counterproductive to strength as they can't slide over each other (Sorry Paul....)

Cumulative fatigue however, can be dealt with in real time... stretching, soft tissue work, reduced volume/intensity/frequency. Rest is not the answer, as this will negate the need to adapt to such training loads. Active recovery is where it's at....

Many times I've had typical symptoms of OT; s**t sleep patterns, crazy fatigue, irratable... rapid heart rate in a morning, dehydration.... and for whatever reason still set a pb.

The following words (or to the effect of) were given to me, and are possibly the greatest words I have ever had in regards to overtraining etc:

The human body will do what is easiest to adapt, and if that means it trying to stop you from putting yourself under the same stress by preventing you lifting by means of exhibiting fatigue etc, it will. It is when it becomes apparent to your body that it still has to deal with these demands regardless, that some of the greatest changes occur.
NimbleIcon...14-08-2015 @ 14:17 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
The human body will do what is easiest to adapt, and if that means it trying to stop you from putting yourself under the same stress by preventing you lifting by means of exhibiting fatigue etc, it will. It is when it becomes apparent to your body that it still has to deal with these demands regardless, that some of the greatest changes occur.

Interesting idea. Who's the quote by?
AMH_PowerIcon...14-08-2015 @ 14:54 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Nimble said:
Interesting idea. Who's the quote by?

Not a word for word quote, but words to that effect; Dr F. Hatfield 'Dr Squat'.
I base most (if not all) of my research and methods from his work or his references.

If anybody hasn't already, I recommend his book 'Power. A Scientific Approach'. Best book I have read in relation to strength
deleted2_20210523Icon...14-08-2015 @ 16:00 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
deleted2_20210523Icon...14-08-2015 @ 16:02 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
HUGE_GUYIcon...14-08-2015 @ 16:12 
Member 2745, 803 posts
AMH - This makes it sound like i can adapt eventually, and that i should keep training. But all i feel like doing is taking 2 months off and start from scratch.

I was sprinting twice a week on top of lifting heavy twice (80-90%). It usually works for me but i think i finally hit my limits back in January so i should have allowed more recovery. Instead i ignored my body and kept going for months on end until now. I don't feel that bad, but my body just doesn't perform anymore. In the past i could take 4 days rest and be fine.

Examples
Jan - P.clean 175. Pause squat 225. Box squat 300. Strict press 92. 40m sprint 4.73seconds. 16lb Shot overhead throw 19.02m. BW 83
Now - P.clean 150. Pause squat 200. Box squat 260. Strict press 80. 40m sprint 5.03. 16lb shot throw 17.45m. BW a fatter 80

I remember having surgery and having a few months just doing machine weights and i could still do a 150 power clean at a light bw. For me strength=speed. I've gone back into bulking phases but the weight just won't come back. But if i under eat slightly for a week, my measurements shrink fast.
IainKendrickIcon...14-08-2015 @ 16:55 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
5 years later human biology has not changed Happy Unless we have the X-gene yet? That'd be cool.
AMH_PowerIcon...14-08-2015 @ 17:19 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:AMH - This makes it sound like i can adapt eventually, and that i should keep training. But all i feel like doing is taking 2 months off and start from scratch.

I was sprinting twice a week on top of lifting heavy twice (80-90%). It usually works for me but i think i finally hit my limits back in January so i should have allowed more recovery. Instead i ignored my body and kept going for months on end until now. I don't feel that bad, but my body just doesn't perform anymore. In the past i could take 4 days rest and be fine.

Examples
Jan - P.clean 175. Pause squat 225. Box squat 300. Strict press 92. 40m sprint 4.73seconds. 16lb Shot overhead throw 19.02m. BW 83
Now - P.clean 150. Pause squat 200. Box squat 260. Strict press 80. 40m sprint 5.03. 16lb shot throw 17.45m. BW a fatter 80

I remember having surgery and having a few months just doing machine weights and i could still do a 150 power clean at a light bw. For me strength=speed. I've gone back into bulking phases but the weight just won't come back. But if i under eat slightly for a week, my measurements shrink fast.

Didn't Ilya Ilin take 9 month off lifting then come back outrageous?
HUGE_GUYIcon...14-08-2015 @ 17:57 
Member 2745, 803 posts
AMH_Power said:
Didn't Ilya Ilin take 9 month off lifting then come back outrageous?

I'd bet he had a cycle or 2 to help with that though. I'm not planning to take anything to get me past this slump. It's going to be a long road to getting back i feel.
AMH_PowerIcon...14-08-2015 @ 18:45 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
I'd bet he had a cycle or 2 to help with that though. I'm not planning to take anything to get me past this slump. It's going to be a long road to getting back i feel.

All the best with it...

You're a naturally powerful person mate so I don't doubt you'll come back above and beyond
PaulSavageIcon...14-08-2015 @ 19:21 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
AMH_Power said:Given what the human body is capable of in terms of adapting to the demands imposed, I think over training how we perceive it (fatigue) is debatable as real.

However, microtrauma when left to progress to macrotrauma is pretty real. But this is where intelligent programming comes in...

and not gauging the quality of the previous days sessions by how sore you are the following day, this is simply hydroxyproline signalling that you've damaged cells. Damaged cells do not equate to a positive adaptation; but one that will cause adhesion's which binds the fibril together which is massively counterproductive to strength as they can't slide over each other (Sorry Paul....)

Cumulative fatigue however, can be dealt with in real time... stretching, soft tissue work, reduced volume/intensity/frequency. Rest is not the answer, as this will negate the need to adapt to such training loads. Active recovery is where it's at....

Many times I've had typical symptoms of OT; s**t sleep patterns, crazy fatigue, irratable... rapid heart rate in a morning, dehydration.... and for whatever reason still set a pb.

The following words (or to the effect of) were given to me, and are possibly the greatest words I have ever had in regards to overtraining etc:

All this theory high tech gabber is great an everything but thats just not reality in practice. If it were the case, guys like george leeman who gets really sore from training, wouldnt have gone from a 295lb deadlift to a 909lb american record, even though hes still very young. Instead he would be taking it easy doing stuff that never gets him sore, and not doing exactly what you said is 'massively counter productive to strength' an he wouldnt be massively stronger than you are.

As for overtraining, theres only a certain amount of stress you can put on the human body, perfect sleep, massage, perfect nutrition etc they will all increase the stress that you can put on it but theres always a limit.
CuddlesIcon...14-08-2015 @ 20:17 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
It's worth noting the difference between soreness that comes as a result of training, and training to get sore, Paul.
Luke82Icon...14-08-2015 @ 20:22 
Enjoys his parents fully stocked fridge.
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
I'm with the Savage on this one!

I made it through commando training so feel ok to say I know how to ignore fatigue and tolerate lots of training, but as much as 'do more' was the answer there it has just never worked for me with weights.

I'd love to be able to simply train more and get awesome at lifting, but every time I've tried it I've just stagnated, got hurt and felt s**t. Simple low volume routines and plenty of rest are the only things that ever seem to get my lifts moving up.

Perhaps the guys who dismiss over training as nonsense have a natural aptitude for strength and are fortunate enough to respond really well to weight training, tolerate loads of lifting, get strong and therefore feel happy to say over training is people being lazy or sissy?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions