You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitIbuprofen

Ibuprofen

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

SMedIcon...07-05-2014 @ 19:08 
a splendid chap, unlike some bitches on here
Member 1670, 1705 posts
SQ 190, BP 112.5, DL 220
522.5 kgs @ 89.5kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:Ibuprofen gel is a godsend - it probably causes cancer, makes dolphins infertile and leads to male-patterned baldness; but it really gets to work on one ache; whilst avoiding the rigors of life inflicted on the rest of your body.

My doctor told me to take it, to avoid any issues from the pills.

The gel is much safer than the tablets. Some of the serious problems ibuprofen causes are stomach/gut and kidney related, by applying locally with a gel, it bypasses this problem. The problem though is it doesn't generally work as well in some people in some cases. It doesn't penetrate very deeply. Might work on ankles, wrists, knees; but harder to hit hips for example.
MattD90Icon...07-05-2014 @ 19:12 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:jim blanchflower has told me on multiple occasions not to take ibuprofen before training because it stops your blood from coagulating so if you get a small muscle tear it will bleed a lot and become a larger muscle tear

take pre WO warfarin for the best cavity bleeds
MrSmallIcon...07-05-2014 @ 19:20 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
SMed said:
The gel is much safer than the tablets. Some of the serious problems ibuprofen causes are stomach/gut and kidney related, by applying locally with a gel, it bypasses this problem. The problem though is it doesn't generally work as well in some people in some cases. It doesn't penetrate very deeply. Might work on ankles, wrists, knees; but harder to hit hips for example.

Except if you busting all KINDS of tubes worth.
unit94Icon...07-05-2014 @ 19:52 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10446 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Are you guys really in that much pain?
dave_rogersonIcon...07-05-2014 @ 20:32 
Member 4046, 590 posts
Been looking at research on this while at home tonight, a lot of which may not be 100% relevant to all folks on here but there maybe some take home points. Am at work tomorrow and will be able to look at this in more detail and report back properly.

Anyway, in the meantime, some stuff:

1. High doses after exercise may be a problem (1.2g), although this research tends to use biological markers rather than performance or muscle mass.

2. Moderate doses (say 400mg) after training may not be a problem (in untrained people though!) when looking at muscle mass and strength, etc.,

2. A few studies on older people show ibuprofen may improve strength training and hypertrophy (1.2g, contrasting point 1), when looking at things like muscle tissue and strength changes.

3. A study a couple of years ago showed that pre-exercise ibuprofen(800mg) exacerbates intestinal damage experienced during exercise (this was cycling, not lifting, so no idea if this applies) and increased permeability.

From the few things I looked at, Ibuprofen was taken after training, so may not be directly relevant to those that take it before. I doubt that taking it would affect muscle growth or strength too much, particularly the odd dose here and there, but the research I looked at had either elderly people or untrained people in it. The main issue could be damage to the small intestine, but again I don't know how this translates to lifting because I don't know if lifting weights would cause the same type of damage; the cycling that they did in the study caused trauma to the intestines which was exacerbated by taking ibuprofen.
MarkCleggIcon...07-05-2014 @ 21:00 
knock knock !! who's there ?? OLD SCHOOL SUGDEN
Member 212, 11439 posts
SQ 325, BP 212.5, DL 370
907.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
If anybody is taking Ibuprofen after training then i`m just simply lost !

Why on earth would you do that ?
little_aIcon...07-05-2014 @ 21:36 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
dave_rogerson said:Been looking at research on this while at home tonight, a lot of which may not be 100% relevant to all folks on here but there maybe some take home points. Am at work tomorrow and will be able to look at this in more detail and report back properly.

Anyway, in the meantime, some stuff:

1. High doses after exercise may be a problem (1.2g), although this research tends to use biological markers rather than performance or muscle mass.

2. Moderate doses (say 400mg) after training may not be a problem (in untrained people though!) when looking at muscle mass and strength, etc.,

2. A few studies on older people show ibuprofen may improve strength training and hypertrophy (1.2g, contrasting point 1), when looking at things like muscle tissue and strength changes.

3. A study a couple of years ago showed that pre-exercise ibuprofen(800mg) exacerbates intestinal damage experienced during exercise (this was cycling, not lifting, so no idea if this applies) and increased permeability.

From the few things I looked at, Ibuprofen was taken after training, so may not be directly relevant to those that take it before. I doubt that taking it would affect muscle growth or strength too much, particularly the odd dose here and there, but the research I looked at had either elderly people or untrained people in it. The main issue could be damage to the small intestine, but again I don't know how this translates to lifting because I don't know if lifting weights would cause the same type of damage; the cycling that they did in the study caused trauma to the intestines which was exacerbated by taking ibuprofen.

What do you want exactly? Seriously, what are you hoping to find? You're on the General Bulls**t section of Sugden using the words 'Guilty', 'Hypertrophy' and 'Ibuprofen' in the same thread whilst seemingly looking for some kind of justification. Either dont take drugs and stay at church or get wasted, stoned and blown.

Can someone please post a picture of some tits?
unit94Icon...07-05-2014 @ 22:23 
Member 3986, 10446 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
little_a said:
What do you want exactly? Seriously, what are you hoping to find? You're on the General Bulls**t section of Sugden using the words 'Guilty', 'Hypertrophy' and 'Ibuprofen' in the same thread whilst seemingly looking for some kind of justification. Either dont take drugs and stay at church or get wasted, stoned and blown.

http://big-teen-boobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/soft-teen...
unit94Icon...07-05-2014 @ 22:24 
Member 3986, 10446 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
There you go mate
little_aIcon...07-05-2014 @ 22:25 
Member 43, 14374 posts
unit94 said:There you go mate

Top man. I just need to go and sort out my inflamation Wink
brownbearIcon...07-05-2014 @ 22:25 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
little_a said:
Top man. I just need to go and sort out my inflamation Wink

You can pay a girl £100/hour to do that or a packet of Ibuprofen costs about 25p from tesco
little_aIcon...07-05-2014 @ 23:09 
Member 43, 14374 posts
brownbear said:
You can pay a girl £100/hour to do that or a packet of Ibuprofen costs about 25p from tesco

One of the benefits of self love BB. Just saved myself £100.25 Wink
BillytheoldIcon...08-05-2014 @ 03:35 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
little_a said:

Yes absolutely for sure! I want to bend a nail now! You are a funny man! No bull straight down the pike
dave_rogersonIcon...08-05-2014 @ 08:51 
Member 4046, 590 posts
little_a said:

Lol at the tits comment. Nah I want no justification mate, we all do what we please at the end of the day. Thought it would be a topic a couple of people maybe interested in.
Wayne_CowdreyIconRamblings of a gym idiot08-05-2014 @ 11:28 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22053 posts
If an exercise hurts don't do it. Do something that doesn't hurt. There are many hundreds of exercises and variations to choose from. Masking the pain (which is there for a reason) and carrying on anyway is surely not a good thing to be doing? That's my view anyway.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitIbuprofen
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions