Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 5455565758596061626364

DuncanIcon...08-09-2010 @ 23:51 
deadlift 300kg conventional ? never gonna happen
Member 414, 1127 posts
SQ 275, BP 187.5, DL 317.5
780.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
Post Edited: 09.09.2010 @ 00:02 AM by Duncan
Why must questions be asked about Scott?..

If you are meaning if he uses gear or not, some folk need to see the bigger picture. They are blind to see that someone can be strong and big at a young age without taking anything.

Seems like someone sees some big lifts from someone and immediatly thinks "gear" not "training those weaknesses,". It's a joke!
DuncanIcon...08-09-2010 @ 23:55 
Member 414, 1127 posts
780.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
Berniebelle said:Perhaps 'novice' is indeed the wrong terminology used for the basis of this comp. At the risk of upsetting those people who have an obvious chip on there shoulder regarding the under 90kg strongman category (i.e. those opposed to people competing in the 90kg category as opposed to the 105kg's that they were running, yeah you know who you are). Like myself, there is a very limited scope for competition for the guys in Scotland for Strongman and I applaud those guys that travelled from near and far to compete on Saturday which was a resounding success and we have had nothing but positive feedback. The level of the competition was accurate and not every one was 'glory hunting'. I, on the other hand, have given up competing on the strongwoman scene due to the lack of structure, competitions and empty promises and I believe that comps such as this should be promoted rather than criticised. I know certain people will accuse me of being biased but I hope these people can get over themselves and begin to promote the sport in Scotland as opposed to criticising it when they see fit. The sport needs to be supported at the grass roots, there is little or no funding for the sport and will the critics be appeased if we simply changed the name of 'novice'?.....I very much doubt it. I personally would have had a problem with the competition had Lee Butler, the current Scottish 90kg Champion had competed and have vocalised this previously, however, he didn't. If it is going to get petty and going by the previous posts it will, questions have to be asked about the winner of the competition Scott Taggart ( whose current body weight is approximately 150kg a significant difference to the 90kg weight category under debate), and training partner of the illustrious and 'unbeatable I am going to bench press 320kg)' Andy Cairney who won by a compelling 13 point and had previously competed in a BSM 'natural' competition and a former international rugby player. Please note that this is not a criticism of Scott as he was a worthy winner on the day, however, I could count on the one hand how may of his "training partners" came to support him on the day.Gloves off boys, f**king grow up and support the sport at all levels, not everyone is designed to be a champion and just do it for the enjoyment of the sport. We need all the help we can get.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side.Tongue Wink
nickIcon...09-09-2010 @ 00:02 
finally got a tagline
Member 1190, 2812 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Duncan said:Why must questions be asked about Scott?..

If you are meaning if he uses gear or not, some folk need to see the bigger picture. They are blind to see that someone can be strong and big at a young age without taking anything.

Seems like someone sees some big lifts from someone and imedualty thinks "gear" not "training those weaknesses,". It's a joke!

agreed
nickIcon...09-09-2010 @ 00:04 
finally got a tagline
Member 1190, 2812 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
should i even bother reading the past 15 odd pages Roll-Eyes
Nick79Icon...09-09-2010 @ 00:04 
will beat Buzz in the next comp
Member 358, 713 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 220
580.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
nick said:
agreed

Could be wrong but I don't think gear is what is being referred to here.
martinbIcon...09-09-2010 @ 00:23 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.09.2010 @ 00:25 AM by martinb

Seems like someone sees some big lifts from someone and immediatly thinks "gear" not "training those weaknesses,". It's a joke!

fact is, most people who take gear will never be as strong as Scott

the boy is a freak in the best possible sense of the word

he does not deserve all the agro that has come about here, but neither do the u90 guys

Just guys who wanna do a strongman comp, they dont want to make statements about politics, just lift some s**t

I happen to think sm is the funnest thing you can do(insert sex joke here)

Don't see why it all has to be so serious
DuncanIcon...09-09-2010 @ 00:32 
Member 414, 1127 posts
780.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
martinb said:
fact is, most people who take gear will never be as strong as Scott
the boy is a freak in the best possible sense of the word
he does not deserve all the agro that has come about here, but neither do the u90 guys
Just guys who wanna do a strongman comp, they dont want to make statements about politics, just lift some s**t
I happen to think sm is the funnest thing you can do(insert sex joke here)
Don't see why it all has to be so serious

FreakConfused

Don't go that far Martin, even though he does have the unfortunate ability to mix an Irish farmboy and Susan Boyle perfectly in one body! You may hurt his feelings. Grin

It shouldn't be all about politics, no, but it gets my goat when folk just spout gear gear, gear all the time. Not the first time we've had this topic come up.
nickIcon...09-09-2010 @ 00:36 
finally got a tagline
Member 1190, 2812 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
martin u still training in the mornings at CSE? im coming up on sat will start the gym monday i think
leeIcon...09-09-2010 @ 01:06 
aka Friday Lee
Member 543, 12 posts
Is this the unit20 novice threadHappy . Just to clarify it was agreed months ago with myself and Buzz that i would not be eligible to do the novice due to winning 90's, I had no problem with that and was more than willing to help with the comp.

My goal now is to compete in next years 105's, no novice comps. Myself and brian are hoping to arrange a small comp in oct for unit20 guys to compete against each other as we are all round about the same weight and strentgh levels, Really a glorified training session with none of this confusion national titles, novice etc! Something to keep us motivated as well in the dark months ahead.

Just seems sad nobody really look's like they get on up here. Think Buzz was right not to let me compete at the novice (would have won it anywayTongue ) As with Scott(those bananas)I think it was fair he competed, He is a big guy and was stronger than the field but he has a comp under his belt and experience of competition now and knows were he needs to be.

Hope the 90's scene takes off more next year for guys looking to compete at that level, Brian did'nt have to go to the trouble of doing it but he did for the sport and hopefully he gets more support next year it's a great place to train and have comp's. Same with Andy, Does the 105's and put's on a good show when he must be pretty busy with his own strongman commitments.
LukeCIcon...09-09-2010 @ 01:27 
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
With all this b**ching you would think this was a U105 comp. Tongue
CarlIcon...09-09-2010 @ 08:28 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
pmsl
PompyIcon...09-09-2010 @ 08:48 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
Post Edited: 09.09.2010 @ 09:08 AM by Pompy

No one has put Scott and gear in the same sentence but u have they? He says he is natural, so he is. Who cares anyway. It's gear not magic beans. He is natural. Its not hard to believe. EDIT: that's not a dig, it isnt hard to believe though, he's just strong

We need some love in this thread .
buzzIcon...09-09-2010 @ 09:10 
Go ! go ! team strengthshop !!!
Member 18, 5295 posts
SQ 185, BP 130, DL 230
545.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Andy - Bernie is her own person, she doesn't need me to stick up for her, and I don't need her to stick up for me, so rather than get into a petty slagging match I'll leave it at that.

stainless said:Apologies if it's coming across that way Brian,wasn't meaning to single you out,i was just answering you and i'm not sure i've even met Nick.
I'm sure if there turns out to be a significant interest in Scotland in the u90s class then it'll sort itself out in time.I get where you're coming from about the british qualifier but maybe next year would've been a better time after the water had been tested so to speak.
It does seem a bit daft that there is a novice comp with weights deemed similar to an under 90s comp,i seem to be interpreting that slightly differently,to me if the u90s can do similar weights to the novices then does that not go in he face of the whole we can't compete with larger athletes argument?
I'm afraid i am being bit of a dinosaur on the whole weight issue but i can't help but think back to our own Mark Morley,lifting 120 logs,150 farmers,loading 16o stones ,deadlifting 310, and coming 5th was it in the SSM opens all at a body weight of 95kg.Little guys can beat big guys,strength isn't all down to size.
Anyway, this topic is clearly not for me so i'm gonna respectfuly bow out before i become extinct.

No probs. I'd like to think that in years to come the U90's will be heavier than it was this year, but I think across the board, it will never be that much heavier than a 'heavy novice' comp, purely because of the weight limitation. I think U90's can compete with the heavies and have proven so, but only to a certain level, and after that bodyweight plays more of a part and becomes more of a factor. Don't you agree that at 105 level now (especially internationally) it's becoming more and more of a factor to be 'sitting heavy' and then to drop down for the comp, and similarly at open level, the sub 130 guys are struggling to keep up with the guys who are around 140kg+? I know what you're saying about Mark and how he was well in the mix at the top level in Scotland, but for me this is more of an indication that the opens are lagging behind as much as anything else. For me I'd rather see Mark put on 10/15kg and beast the 105's at British level, or, as now is the option, do the U90's and have an excellent chance of a podium finish at the British. For me, better for him to take a podium spot at the 90's than to place in the bottom few at the 105's (British). The 90's is a more than credible category in Britain as was proved last year, before we even had a qualifier up here, and much more so this year. I believe he is already training for next years U90's. Of course, this is probably a personal point of view, but I think from the perspective of the sport on the whole in Scotland, we need to think about which Scottish athletes can go onto the British/International level and be in the mix. The level in all three categories is advancing so quickly in England that it's a tall order, but I think achievable when it comes to guys such as Mark in the 90's (as an example).

http://1.2.3.10/bmi/pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/10/31/6339257...
StetecIcon...09-09-2010 @ 11:21 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Duncan said:
FreakConfused
Don't go that far Martin, even though he does have the unfortunate ability to mix an Irish farmboy and Susan Boyle perfectly in one body!

Hahahahaha classic! Sorry Scott, I don't believe it one bit.

There are valid arguments on both sides here. I think the best thing to do is get a clearly identified profile of what a novice is which is agreed across the board. Until that happens it will be at the discretion of the organisers. And hey Bernie, nice to see you post on here, hows the search for a friend for Gunner coming on?
thosebananasIcon...09-09-2010 @ 12:06 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Stetec said:
Hahahahaha classic! Sorry Scott, I don't believe it one bit.
There are valid arguments on both sides here. I think the best thing to do is get a clearly identified profile of what a novice is which is agreed across the board. Until that happens it will be at the discretion of the organisers. And hey Bernie, nice to see you post on here, hows the search for a friend for Gunner coming on?

what dnt u beleive?

12345678910 ... ... 5455565758596061626364

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions