12345678910 ... ... 5455565758596061626364

Nick79Icon...08-09-2010 @ 12:52 
will beat Buzz in the next comp
Member 358, 713 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 220
580.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
robocop said:right i give up
!!!
i just thought that the under 90k Scotlands strongest man was supposed to be held with the same esteem as the others but clearly not!!!
and just to point out these where all viable questions, all asked in a polite and non agressive manner, on what was supposed to be a discussion fourm

but it is quite clear when some people dont have any real answers its a case of

"dont come on here and trash my thread by asking questions about the comp on the comps thread"

"who are you to make demands by asking genuine questions"

"keep your silly comments that we cant answer with any relelant answers for another thread"

one rule for one and one for another guys !!!!!!

i am sorry to have taken up your time

This isn't the case Andy.

There is a clear difference in abilities between an u90 finalist (where there's no qualifying criteria other than weighing u90) and an Open finalist (we're all aware of the min requirements needed to qual for SSM).

Would you not allow Youngy to do anything other than u90/u105 comps because he took part in SSM u90 and came last? - no offence Youngy. That would limit the poor lad to 2-3 comps a year. Surely to improve and get to a high level in the sport (if that's what he wants) he should be doing as many comps as possible. Scott clearly has the ability to qualify for SSM final but we still allowed him to take part on saturday.

I understand where you are coming from but I disagree it's one rule for one and one for another (I'm not sure where you get that from). We look at a guys lifts, abilities and comp history before making a decision on someones participation in a comp.
PompyIcon...08-09-2010 @ 12:53 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
martinb said:
Sad, why?
Drew is 5 feet tall, gonna be a copper, and loves strongman
The ONLY thing he can do to move up levels significantly is to become as wide as he is tall, thats no good for his job, or prospects of getting laid
After a few more novice comps, or if he does the u90s next year, should he just be excluded? Just because becoming less mediocre at strongman isn't his main aim in life

I don't see the fulfillment in never improving in a sport. Genetic limitation is an overused term and Drew is f**king strong for his height as it is. I am certain he can get much much stronger and more muscular without a) using gear or b) getting fat.

I think it is a cop out to say, 'oh but I enjoy it'. What? Enjoy getting hammered in every comp?
I've came second from bottom in my last comp, the standard was too high and I hadn't trained hard enough, end of story. If I am still getting beat by other novices of a similar weight in a few years time, I'll take up a new hobby or stop competing and just train for fun.
PompyIcon...08-09-2010 @ 13:02 
Member 694, 3112 posts
robocop said:1. should under 90kg atheltes be treated the same as under 105kg and open?

2. should the under 90s champ be held with the same respect as the under 105kg and open?

3. should a national champ (now remember that this means he is the "best in the country") be able to compete with novices

4. would top 3 from under 105kg or top 3 from opens been allowed to participate in this comp?

anyone who dissagrees with my opinion please answer these questions

not that my opinion matters a jot andy but i think it's healthy to debate this stuff in any thread and here is as good as any.

1)/2) the under 90s should not be treated in the same regard as an open competitor because they are not, and never will be as strong. if you had a seminar with the WSM and the strongest U90 in the world i know who'd be more in demand.
should SSM U90 get as much respect as SSM open? probably not in my opinion as there were only three guys to beat to become SSM u90. you have not done as much, the field is not as tough. so no. not as much respect.
3) a national champ at u90 may still not be able to compete with someone weighing 110 for example, so what, it doesnt devalue their achievement in my opinion, it's just physics stopping them being competitive,
4) not in a million years, which ultimately makes you correct in my opinion, weather 'correct' is the right thing to do is another matter. in my opinion youngy and ian were at the right standard for this comp and regardless of doing a national comp, more people competing in more comps means more interest in strongman! that's a good thing.

i don't see how anyone involved (buzz, nick, youngy or ian) should be offended by the debate here it is just talk, of course it's up to the promotor to decide, and in my opinion (for what it's worth) they always get it right
martinbIcon...08-09-2010 @ 13:27 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Pompy said:
I don't see the fulfillment in never improving in a sport. Genetic limitation is an overused term and Drew is f**king strong for his height as it is. I am certain he can get much much stronger and more muscular without a) using gear or b) getting fat.
I think it is a cop out to say, 'oh but I enjoy it'. What? Enjoy getting hammered in every comp?
I've came second from bottom in my last comp, the standard was too high and I hadn't trained hard enough, end of story. If I am still getting beat by other novices of a similar weight in a few years time, I'll take up a new hobby or stop competing and just train for fun.

I'm not saying people shouldn't try to get better, I'm saying the nature of the beast is such that very few can/will be very good

I just mean that if you like doing strongman, and like to compete at a novice level, it doesn't do an harm to anyone else
PompyIcon...08-09-2010 @ 13:33 
Member 694, 3112 posts
martinb said:
I'm not saying people shouldn't try to get better, I'm saying the nature of the beast is such that very few can/will be very good
I just mean that if you like doing strongman, and like to compete at a novice level, it doesn't do an harm to anyone else

No I agree it doesn't do anyone any harm.
thosebananasIcon...08-09-2010 @ 13:42 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
MrSmall said:
Depends, if there's 5 really non novices doing the comp then no but on paper I wouldn't put you out of the novice category. However there comes a point where you shouldn't do novice comps simply because thats what you've been doing and its time to improve and bite the bullet.
But it also depends on your strength levels, you are NOT a novice if you are pulling 600lbs, squatting 500, etc etc
Not a dig at Scott!

thats grand cuz im not squating 500. Grin
StetecIcon...08-09-2010 @ 13:50 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
My head hurts after reading all that! My opinion: people are making too much of a novice comp. If people want to use it as a training comp for bigger events fine. If they want to compete in it to win because its at or around there level fine. If they want to use it as a bit of fun and to dig the strongman fantasy (me!) fine.

Its a mechanism for gaining experience and having a go. Simple.

By all means tighten the rules in the bigger/national comps.

Another way around this situation is when you apply to enter a novice, you supply your comp history and then its up to the organisers. If you want to do it as a training comp but are above the level, maybe it would be ok to do it but not get placed. That takes the glory hunting aspect away and levels the playing field.

All at the organisers discretion.

But above all, lets stop taking this too seriously.
PompyIcon...08-09-2010 @ 13:52 
Member 694, 3112 posts

Another way around this situation is when you apply to enter a novice, you supply your comp history and then its up to the organisers. If you want to do it as a training comp but are above the level, maybe it would be ok to do it but not get placed. .

this should not be allowed, imagine bringing your friends and family to watch a comp and see you win, but actually be outlifted on the day by a seasoned open competitor who is just having a glorified training session
StetecIcon...08-09-2010 @ 14:00 
Member 354, 1452 posts
I don't mean make it a free for all. What I mean is, if you are in Scotland with comps few and far between, but want some comp experience and it isn't an option to travel to the depths of England and are at a level higher than the comp, then maybe at the discretion of the organisers, they will let you compete but not place. Guest lifters happen all the time.

Just trying to think of a way to let the bigger/stronger/experienced guys still get comp experience without being classed as glory seekers.

Its a bit delicate but as Brian says, there is no official guide book as to what a novice is.

Personally, I think regardless of experience if the weights in the comp are around your level then you should be able to compete.
StetecIcon...08-09-2010 @ 14:02 
Member 354, 1452 posts
Change the title 'Novice comp' to 'Not strong enough to do opens yet'!
thosebananasIcon...08-09-2010 @ 14:04 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Stetec said:Change the title 'Novice comp' to 'Not strong enough to do opens yet'!

x2
stainlessIcon...08-09-2010 @ 16:01 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
I remember a little kid in my street that we used to play football with,when he didn't like the way the game was going he would pick up the ball and say "it's my ball,if you don't like my rules then you can't play"

Making up your own rules to suit your competition is entirely up to the promoter,but don't expect to be taken seriously by others who are looking at the bigger picture beyond an individual competition.

If you chose to create a category without the volume of participants to make it neccessary then you have also created your own problem.
If you want to call yourself "Scotland's strongestman under 90kg and have a trophy on your shelf declaring yourself a National champion,then how can you possibly go back and compete with novices?
The weights have got absolutely nothing to do with it.
I couldn't care less if some body wants to do only novice comps for ever because he can't or doesn't want to compete in the opens but you cannot do is come in and out of a category to suit yourself and expect to be taken seriously.
If i was going to run a Novice comp then nobody who had competed in an open comp would be allowed to enter-choose-are you an open or a novice then get on with it.
If the under 90 guys want to do more comps then do it,run more under 90s comps,what's stopping you?
You created a category were there wasn't the demand for it,and now you want back in to play with the novices.It looks like you just didn't think it through.

One further thing,is it not a wee bit silly to start a fresh thread when everybody is talking about it here,seems a bit like everybody walking out and going into another room to carry on the same coversation?
ITRGIcon...08-09-2010 @ 16:10 
PS ... i love you
Member 521, 2568 posts
SQ 200, BP 125, DL 265
590.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.09.2010 @ 16:10 PM by ITRG
stainless the scottish u90 champ did not compete
buzzIcon...08-09-2010 @ 16:17 
Go ! go ! team strengthshop !!!
Member 18, 5295 posts
SQ 185, BP 130, DL 230
545.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Stainless, I'm not sure who you're talking about here, but me and Nick ran the U90's, and 3 of the guys who competed in it (everyone other than the winner) competed in the novice comp at the weekend. The competitors didn't 'create' the category.
PompyIcon...08-09-2010 @ 16:19 
Member 694, 3112 posts
Just to clarify ssm u90 has not entered a novice comp. Has he ?

12345678910 ... ... 5455565758596061626364

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions