what dnt u beleive?

that you can sing like susan boyle I assume
ThingIcon...09-09-2010 @ 12:45 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.09.2010 @ 12:45 PM by Thing
Holly s**t Bags scott you must be gutted that susan boyle was discovered before you!!!

anyway does all this discussions (some of which are negative) not swing towards getting either fed set up or and agreement between promoters regarding criteria of weight, comp history, and competitor ability?

and imo scott had only done one comp before this comp and i would say 3 to 4 comps gives you the experience to move up. just my 2p worth.
stainlessIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:01 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Brian,if i was in favour of weight category competitions in strongman then i couldn't really disagree with anything in your last post,but i'm not.I don't say that for one second to start an arguement or even a discussion as i'm realistic enough to see that those in favour are coming at the whole concept from a different angle.I'm quite happy even to be a minority of one here,the fact that other people have different opinions from me irks me not one little bit.What a boring world it we be if we all agreed with each other.
I see strongman at grass roots level in a much more simplistic way: You think you're strong and want to see how strong-go along to one of the many facilities that exist and train with strongman equipement and see how you fair.You want to try a comp-enter a novice comp,you like it,do a few more,you're getting better try an open.
That's really it for me.For me personally,not belittling anybody else's achievements,my whole involvement in strongman was all about getting stronger plain and simple.I was the lightest guy in my very first novice comp and beat 11 people all way bigger than me up to 9 stone heavier,kept doing novices and kept trying out for the qualifier for SSM.I took great delight in suprising bigger guys and i'd like to think i earned the respect of my peers by getting in the mix occasionaly.Competing in the 2006 ssm entirely on merit and holding my own was a brilliant achievement for me.Again not to belittle anyone else i can say whole heartedly that i'd rather place in an open than win a weight category comp.
Competing in an open and doing okay for me means you're strong.Winning the 105's or 90's means you're the strongest of all the little guys,fun to do but it doesn't really mean that much to me.
Like the 90s guys i competed in the 105s because it was there and like you i wanted the fun of competing and the experience,but i'd rather have been doing more opens.

Strongman is evolving at a decent pace and right now the 105s are lifting weights that even a big strong guy in the crowd wouldn't attempt for fear of looking stupid so i guess it's sort of okay but the under 90s guys are lifting novice weights so i think if you're strong for 90kg then you should do novice comps,take great delight in showing up some bigger guys and work towards the 105s.
I don't think any of what i've said is gonna have any bearing on the current developing structure.The category now exists and the u90s are bound to want to compete in it,best of luck to them,but for me personally it's not strongman anymore than mini-pool is snooker.
This is not intended as a slant on any of the lightweight guys that train,i don't doubt that they are strong for their weight,athletic and dedicated,i just would rather see them prove their strength against bigger not so strong guys and i believe that's more important than winning a trophy.
But like i said that's just my opinion,there's no need for anyone to tell me you think differently i can already see that.
If i'm on a ship that's already sailed then i will happily wave to you on the shore and wish everyone good luck in their pursuit of getting stronger.
StetecIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:07 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
thosebananas said:
what dnt u beleive?

That you are Susan Boyle's love child.
PompyIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:07 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
I don't agree - but great post!
ITRGIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:14 
PS ... i love you
Member 521, 2568 posts
SQ 200, BP 125, DL 265
590.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
stainless said:Brian,if i was in favour of weight category competitions in strongman then i couldn't really disagree with anything in your last post,but i'm not.I don't say that for one second to start an arguement or even a discussion as i'm realistic enough to see that those in favour are coming at the whole concept from a different angle.I'm quite happy even to be a minority of one here,the fact that other people have different opinions from me irks me not one little bit.What a boring world it we be if we all agreed with each other.
I see strongman at grass roots level in a much more simplistic way: You think you're strong and want to see how strong-go along to one of the many facilities that exist and train with strongman equipement and see how you fair.You want to try a comp-enter a novice comp,you like it,do a few more,you're getting better try an open.
That's really it for me.For me personally,not belittling anybody else's achievements,my whole involvement in strongman was all about getting stronger plain and simple.I was the lightest guy in my very first novice comp and beat 11 people all way bigger than me up to 9 stone heavier,kept doing novices and kept trying out for the qualifier for SSM.I took great delight in suprising bigger guys and i'd like to think i earned the respect of my peers by getting in the mix occasionaly.Competing in the 2006 ssm entirely on merit and holding my own was a brilliant achievement for me.Again not to belittle anyone else i can say whole heartedly that i'd rather place in an open than win a weight category comp.
Competing in an open and doing okay for me means you're strong.Winning the 105's or 90's means you're the strongest of all the little guys,fun to do but it doesn't really mean that much to me.
Like the 90s guys i competed in the 105s because it was there and like you i wanted the fun of competing and the experience,but i'd rather have been doing more opens.

Strongman is evolving at a decent pace and right now the 105s are lifting weights that even a big strong guy in the crowd wouldn't attempt for fear of looking stupid so i guess it's sort of okay but the under 90s guys are lifting novice weights so i think if you're strong for 90kg then you should do novice comps,take great delight in showing up some bigger guys and work towards the 105s.
I don't think any of what i've said is gonna have any bearing on the current developing structure.The category now exists and the u90s are bound to want to compete in it,best of luck to them,but for me personally it's not strongman anymore than mini-pool is snooker.
This is not intended as a slant on any of the lightweight guys that train,i don't doubt that they are strong for their weight,athletic and dedicated,i just would rather see them prove their strength against bigger not so strong guys and i believe that's more important than winning a trophy.
But like i said that's just my opinion,there's no need for anyone to tell me you think differently i can already see that.
If i'm on a ship that's already sailed then i will happily wave to you on the shore and wish everyone good luck in their pursuit of getting stronger.

stainless i agree with what you say. i have only been training for strongman 6 or 7 months and i just want to do as many comps as i can. Any comp i am aloud to enter i would do but i would like to test myself against the opens one day thats what strongman is about but i think weight cat's are a brilliant idea to get folk involved how many people at under 90 or even u105's would enter a open as there first comp?? not many and 90% would probly give up after getting there ass handed to them. i've just started did the u90's this year and will do the u105's next year see how i get on and take it from there.
robocopIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:27 
Commentators say: he benches like a bodybuilder
Member 231, 1873 posts
SQ 400, BP 275, DL 365
1040.0 kgs @ 135.7kgs Eq
ITRG said:
stainless i agree with what you say. i have only been training for strongman 6 or 7 months and i just want to do as many comps as i can. Any comp i am aloud to enter i would do but i would like to test myself against the opens one day thats what strongman is about but i think weight cat's are a brilliant idea to get folk involved how many people at under 90 or even u105's would enter a open as there first comp?? not many and 90% would probly give up after getting there ass handed to them. i've just started did the u90's this year and will do the u105's next year see how i get on and take it from there.

Hey stainless says he does not like weight catigories and gets that and I ask should someone be able to go back and do a novice after a national and I get "f**king grow up"
stainless huh gets away with murder on here !!
BigKenIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:36 
Not in Loz's top 10 uk strongmen
Member 144, 4421 posts
SQ 320, BP 165, DL 350
835.0 kgs @ 123kgs Eq
Post Edited: 09.09.2010 @ 13:37 PM by BigKen
I'm not going to sit and quote a whole load of posts or anything, so just putting my view to previous posts from memory.

Firstly Drew, why is it a good debate to start but then you change your opinion and say it's childish bickering? Is it due to people realising that their arguments are wrong, because we all know this would not have happened at another level. True we are a small community and yes we need to help each other out, but we must also look at things critically on occasion and ask why certain things are happening.

Nick, the post I put up on Tuesday night had nothing to do with having a "sly dig" at the U90 guys. It was mearly to ask a QUESTION about why guys who have competed in a national competition were allowed to go back to novice level and compete; because this would not of happened at any other level. It has nothing to do with my feelings about U90s; it's about would the guys who finished 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the U105s or the open be allowed to go back and do a novice comp... and no they wouldn't.

Brian, there was no personal attack at all, just a discussion and a debate in the relavent thread due to the associated parties being a part of this comp and hence this thread.

Bernie, what you have posted is a total pile of horse s**t. "Obvious chip on their shoulder", aye very good. There was no 'citicism', it was a question to look at the issue of athletes who have done a national competition going back to novice level. Andy, Stainless and myself along with the top teir guys of Marinecraft have done a ton of hard work to promote the sport not only in Scotland, but also trying to get the British U105s and link our Scottish comp to the larger comps in Britian. For you to say that we must "begin to promote the sport in Scotland as opposed to criticising it when they see fit" is again a load of rubbish and I have addressed the point of criticism above.

I'll bow out here as the bottom line which everyone can see, but don't want to admit is that athletes competing at national level should not be going back to do novice comps, whether it is the same rough level of weights or not. This would not happen at any other level of the sport and as Andy has said earlier it is making the U90s look like a farse.

End Of!
StetecIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:39 
Member 354, 1452 posts
So...this guy walks into a bar....
stainlessIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:40 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
robocop said:
Hey stainless says he does not like weight catigories and gets that and I ask should someone be able to go back and do a novice after a national and I get "f**king grow up"
stainless huh gets away with murder on here !!

Grow up trouble maker.And don't be looking for a spot on that 320kg bench.
Grin
ThingIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:43 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
before all the weight categories I'm sure Andy and Steven will rememeber. but in scotland you could do a novice if you won it or placed well your we're kind of enchoraged to do the blair athol and or the fife's comp then move on to the qualifiers for the scottish. well that how i was encorraged to go about things. i may be wrong for others so i appoligise for that.

now that we have u105 and u90 novice and open it seems that things are getting clouded and a lack of clarity which is a shame and i think most of you would agree.

so it must mean that there needs to be a bit of thinking behind this so i'm going to throw this in

Novice comps U90, U105, Open

Intermediate Comps U90, U105, Open

National level and qualifiers U90, U105, Open

novice consists of either a max of 3 comps

intermediate consists of max of 3 comps

national & Qualifiers once the first two levels have been met.

or you could base it purely on the capability of the lifter i.e. use 3 lifts Deadlift, Squat, military press

these are just something to get the ball rolling in terms of ideas of which i know a few of you will disagree with. and i know this would need a new thread dedicated to this subject but i cant be arsed to do this.

or we just go back to the old way of just having opens and not having the hassle that weight categories have caused

JUST my 10p worth this time
WILLSANIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:50 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
robocop said:
So what do you suggest I do in the future just shut up, kiss ass and tell everyone they are great, and if any thoughts come into my head i should just keep them to myself
sometimes you can't win with some people
but hey what do I know

no just start a fresh thread as I originally suggested. I never questioned the validity of your points or your right to make them. just where you made them. I wont argue the points because scottish strongman is f**k all to do with me. I just think its bad form to start this kind of discussion/row in a comp thread. I thought you might understand that point of view as a promoter yourself but I guess not.
drewIcon...09-09-2010 @ 13:59 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Ken -from memory I agreed with you and Andy saying it is hard to create a solid argument against your point. Not that I nesecerally disagreed. I then noted, although poorly and not in full, something I had read about comp structures in another country and thought it might be interesting for others.

When I made these points I didn't realise there would be a 10 page 'discussion' about this and that and frankly, with hindsight wish I'd never been part of it. As I am not a promoter I have no right to say what I think is suitable entry requirements for my comp so I have no real insight into the subject so will just be quiet

As was just mentioned. I feel a discussion like this should in future be done on a separate topic and allow the comp to stay as the comp itself. Just seems a bit more gentlemanly that way (and I know you Andy or stainless would not have intended to make this a personal attack on Brian and nick and I am not saying such)

I will try and find that post I referred to and put it up to see what people think
StetecIcon...09-09-2010 @ 14:00 
Member 354, 1452 posts
I will take the initiative and start a new thread in the General Bulls**t section. Have a peek and vent your spleen...
Nick79Icon...09-09-2010 @ 14:01 
will beat Buzz in the next comp
Member 358, 713 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 220
580.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Is this not dead yet?

It was a novice comp and as usual it was at the organisers discretion who took part. Didnt Pavel do an u90s qualifier down in England earlier this year? Are we all moaning about him doing this novice? At the end of the day 4 guys took part in SSM u90 this year, if 12 guys had taken part 2nd and 3rd would've been told they were unable to do it. Would we have let whoever finished mid-table or lower take part last saturday? Probably. Big deal it was a novice comp for people to have a crack, something to train for and get some experience......I'll go back to Brian Currie, I know of 2 novice comps he's done since taking part in u105s, does that make a farce of the Scottish u105s? Personally I don't think it does.

If someone is taking part in a national qualifier like you need to for the opens thats one thing but all you need to do to qual for u90s or u105s is weighing and turn up.

I understand what you guys are saying, I really do. But I feel an Open finalist is different to u90s or u105 finalist as I've stated.

12345678910 ... ... 5455565758596061626364

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions