Sugar tax

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

macrothIcon...17-03-2016 @ 12:23 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Steve said:
I don't doubt the research, but researchers (& Government) are concerned with what's happening on a larger overall scale. Parents care what's happening at the school their children are at. Surely if a school is doing well at KS 1 & 3 but failing at KS 2 then the teachers/management/LEA must bear some responsibility?

I'm sure there are good and bad teachers, etc. But schools don't fail. Students do. Whose fault is that? In my opinion, 90% the parents'. Their genes in the kid, their home environment around him/her. There's f**kall an average teacher can do about it, and only so much a superhero teacher can, given the time and resources they usually have. It goes both ways, obviously. A bright kid with supportive parents will do just fine in any school.

The home environment may not be entirely the parents' fault, either, but that still doesn't mean the school is the problem.
matthewvcIcon...17-03-2016 @ 12:33 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3226 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Wiegieboard said:
Extremely under rated post!
It's of use to every MP in the country who certainly aren't feeling the pinch in their subsidied bars.

the geek is strong with this one Grin
slimsimIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:06 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
macroth said:
I'm sure there are good and bad teachers, etc. But schools don't fail. Students do. Whose fault is that? In my opinion, 90% the parents'. Their genes in the kid, their home environment around him/her. There's f**kall an average teacher can do about it, and only so much a superhero teacher can, given the time and resources they usually have. It goes both ways, obviously. A bright kid with supportive parents will do just fine in any school.
The home environment may not be entirely the parents' fault, either, but that still doesn't mean the school is the problem.

My ex is a teacher in an inner city Bradford school. A vast majority of children have English as a second language and a vast majority of the families fall under the poverty line. Many of the children have zero educational items at home, no books, no pens, not even colouring pencils.

Surprise, surprise, the school is classed as failing!! What chance does any teacher have in that sort of environment?
The_Lone_WolfIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:06 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
My ex is a teacher in an inner city Bradford school. A vast majority of children have English as a second language and a vast majority of the families fall under the poverty line. Many of the children have zero educational items at home, no books, no pens, not even colouring pencils.
Surprise, surprise, the school is classed as failing!! What chance does any teacher have in that sort of environment?

Exactly, and who's fault is that?

You could put the teachers from the best school in the land in there and nothing would change.
SteveIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:16 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
The_Lone_Wolf said:
slimsim said:

Exactly, and who's fault is that?

You could put the teachers from the best school in the land in there and nothing would change.

Our local area has no almost no social problems, full employment, safe and stable surroundings, a brand new building with small class sizes and the school has also been seen as failing. Surely you can't blame the environment for that?
SteveIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:19 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
macroth said:

If this is true then moving your children to a "better" school should have little to no effect?
The_Lone_WolfIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:21 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Our local area has no almost no social problems, full employment, safe and stable surroundings, a brand new building with small class sizes and the school has also been seen as failing. Surely you can't blame the environment for that?

How is it deemed to be failing though? Are results poor?
macrothIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:30 
Member 3517, 3368 posts
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Steve said:

Given what you describe, probably not. But surely even a mediocre teacher can teach a mediocre student to read, write and count in a half-decent environment. It's what happens in most places after all. A failing school in a quiet middle-class area is very strange indeed.
macrothIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:42 
Member 3517, 3368 posts
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Steve said:
macroth said:

If this is true then moving your children to a "better" school should have little to no effect?

Better how? And who's paying for it?

Everyone can benefit from a good learning environment, no doubt about it. But I think it's a small part of the equation once the basics are covered. I've seen first hand, both as a student and as a parent, kids struggle and fail in posh private schools with all the bells and whistles.
JonA81Icon...17-03-2016 @ 13:46 
Member 2216, 2243 posts
macroth said:
Given what you describe, probably not. But surely even a mediocre teacher can teach a mediocre student to read, write and count in a half-decent environment. It's what happens in most places after all. A failing school in a quiet middle-class area is very strange indeed.

Is it a failing school though? They recently re-classified satisfactory gradings from the inspectors as requiring improvement.
Subtle use of newspeak, and all of a sudden a fair to middling school is under massive pressure, staff morale drops through the floor and it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
little_aIcon...17-03-2016 @ 13:59 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
The_Lone_Wolf said:
Steve said:

How is it deemed to be failing though? Are results poor?

Depending on these answers I'd suggest that the environment could be a factor. If there's little unemployment where does the need to better yourself through education come from? A stable environment in theory is what we're all after, but I doubt would actually suit most of us.

Right now I'm thinking about the woman in the red dress.
Happy
slimsimIcon...17-03-2016 @ 14:38 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
little_a said:
Right now I'm thinking about the woman in the red dress.
Happy

And Tasty Wheat, you're thinking about Tasy Wheat as well and how they knew what Tasty Wheat should taste like and maybe that's why everything tastes like chicken.

I'm right aren't I?
little_aIcon...17-03-2016 @ 15:09 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
slimsim said:
I'm right aren't I?

Not only do you have vascular arms of envy, but you are in fact rightCool

It's nice when I meet other people on my tangents.
FazcIcon...17-03-2016 @ 15:39 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Steve said:
I don't doubt the research, but researchers (& Government) are concerned with what's happening on a larger overall scale. Parents care what's happening at the school their children are at. Surely if a school is doing well at KS 1 & 3 but failing at KS 2 then the teachers/management/LEA must bear some responsibility?

Oh for God's sake Steve, the advantage of research is that it doesn't just show you individual examples. The same odd individual examples which you attempting to use to back up your point. Research shows you where the majority trends are.

So what do you want me to do, start slamming teachers, start talking about ineffective teaching when that's the minority of reasons? give an inch? I'm very sorry I'm not going to do that because you know why? I don't have an inch to give. The profession and professionals who work in it have been dragged through the mud over and over usually by people who haven't a single clue what they're talking about. It's got to the point now where no one who isn't in the profession with a bit of experience discusses or even knows about the real reasons why schools are failing. Yet if you read some of these comments you'd think they were experts.

The real reasons schools are failing is because of socio economic factors. Government is more than happy to let academies, teachers, management, anything that can find to take the blame rather than allow attention on the real issues. You know why? So they can continue to profit from the ignorance of the general public and send their kids to schools in affluent areas and impress upon them the value of education. Why? Because that's what's important!
FazcIcon...17-03-2016 @ 15:42 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
macroth said:

There has even been numbers placed on the percentage influence of various factors on a students outcome. I'm citing the results of a meta analysis from 2011 where it was determined the following factors had the following effect on a students outcome.

80% socio-economic factors
16% teaching
4% senior management

But sure let's continue to blast teachers because that's what makes sense right.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSugar tax
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions