REGISTER
 

Nobody steals our chicks... and lives!

12345678910 ... ... 7273747576777879808182

NeilIcon...26-07-2009 @ 17:26 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Sunday 26th July

Bench: 50 x 5,5,5, 60 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 5, 90 x 5, 100 x 1, 110 x 1, 90 x 5,5,5.
Push jerk: 50 x 5,5,5,5,5.
Chins: BW x 5,5,5,5,5.

Been busy, probably have to drop down to 2 sessions a week for the foreseeable.
nicoIcon...26-07-2009 @ 18:58 
Avatar
just smoked Ed and Neil - EAT MY GOAL
Member 120, 1583 posts
110 is solid enough. How easy did it go up?
NeilIcon...27-07-2009 @ 09:07 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
When I got down to it after the 100 I knew I wasn't going to fail it. So straight forward enough. However, being a s**t bencher, I probably still made it look difficult.

Some way to go to my targets, but at least now I'm focussed on them! Heavy benching/light OH once per week and speed benching/heavy OH once per week. Let's see where that gets me.
nicoIcon...27-07-2009 @ 14:42 
Avatar
just smoked Ed and Neil - EAT MY GOAL
Member 120, 1583 posts
Why the speed benching? I've never been a fan myself.
NeilIcon...27-07-2009 @ 17:44 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Well it's a carry over from the JoeB/Rick routine's that get run at Adlington. They do 8s, 5s, 3s, 1s, for a few weeks each, incorporating speed benching on a different day. Meant to practice explosiveness and getting your groove right. I do them in triplets under one breath as explosive as possible and within the same kind of time frame in which I might do one proper paused rep. They also encourage incline benching and barbell rows and stuff for assistance. However, I want to go at my OH too, along with general upper body, hence the push jerks and pullups. I might stick in some inclines after the heavy benching though, dunno yet.

I believe I'm weak off the chest, so while I've thought about doing the pin benching with enormous weight and gradually lowering it, I think for now I'll stick with speed as assistance because that just might work - it got me to a paused 115 comp 3 white lights before with a possible 120 in the tank, and I wouldn't have believe that was possible even 2 months before the comp.
nicoIcon...27-07-2009 @ 19:15 
Avatar
just smoked Ed and Neil - EAT MY GOAL
Member 120, 1583 posts
Neil said:
Well it's a carry over from the JoeB/Rick routine's that get run at Adlington. They do 8s, 5s, 3s, 1s, for a few weeks each, incorporating speed benching on a different day. Meant to practice explosiveness and getting your groove right. I do them in triplets under one breath as explosive as possible and within the same kind of time frame in which I might do one proper paused rep. They also encourage incline benching and barbell rows and stuff for assistance. However, I want to go at my OH too, along with general upper body, hence the push jerks and pullups. I might stick in some inclines after the heavy benching though, dunno yet.

I believe I'm weak off the chest, so while I've thought about doing the pin benching with enormous weight and gradually lowering it, I think for now I'll stick with speed as assistance because that just might work - it got me to a paused 115 comp 3 white lights before with a possible 120 in the tank, and I wouldn't have believe that was possible even 2 months before the comp.


interesting. I think I considered the 8/5/3/1s thing at one time. I'll have another look-isn't it written up somewhere? I'll look in the routines.
I did some speed bench with the same logic as you-I'm weak off the chest. I wasn't able to get it to work for me, but perhaps it is worth having another look at.
NeilIcon...27-07-2009 @ 21:08 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
After a bit of searching I found it linked to from here after Ed asked what I was up to:-

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/Nobody-steals-our-...

With the actual full explanation here:-

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/WOODY-ALLEN-SYNDRO...

As you can see I started doing it around the end of Feb 2008, and I did the comp 3 months later. It worked out being a perfect build up for me, and that's all I can say about it really. I ought to give it a full go again really... at least one cycle.
RobIcon...27-07-2009 @ 22:17 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Rick has promised to write this routine up as an article, since 2007 Tongue
NeilIcon...28-07-2009 @ 11:56 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Maybe I could jog his memory!
NeilIcon...30-07-2009 @ 17:02 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Thursday 30th July

Push jerk: 50 x 5, 60 x 3, 70 x 1, 80 x 1, 90 x 1,1,1, 70 x 5,5,5.
Speed bench: 50 x 3,3,3, 60 x 3,3,3, 65 x 3,3,3, 70 x 3,3,3, 65 x 3,3,3, 60 x 3,3,3.
Dips: BW x 8,8,8.

Cracking little session today!
EDCLARKEIcon...30-07-2009 @ 17:26 
Avatar
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 11010 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
overhead is coming along nicely mate,how long till an attempt at 100k!
NeilIcon...30-07-2009 @ 17:32 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Yes I reckon I've never been as strong overhead as I am right at this moment (mostly because I've never spent much time doing it). Once I get comfortable throwing myself under weight I might not be able to lift, I'll go for 100kgs. Until then though, practice practice practice. After all, I want floor to OH to be 100kgs by the end of the year, which means I better get some work in on my PCs too!

So, assuming no injuries, it looks like I'm on track for a nice 100kgs floor to OH in the next few months. As for 130 bench? That's another f**king story!
EDCLARKEIcon...30-07-2009 @ 17:40 
Avatar
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 11010 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
slowly slowly mate 122.5 then 125 then 127.5 then 130 by which time Nico will be on 140Wink




and i'll probably still be stuck at 115k
NeilIcon...30-07-2009 @ 17:43 
Avatar
For Kettle, For Country!
Member 81, 1706 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 120, DL 227.5
530.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
EDCLARKE said:
slowly slowly mate 122.5 then 125 then 127.5 then 130

Never thought of it like that, but of course you're right. OK, next stop, 122.5!
RobIcon...30-07-2009 @ 17:44 
Avatar
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7174 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Good stuff mate!

12345678910 ... ... 7273747576777879808182

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions