REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 174 guests
You are here: HomeForumTerminator → View All Posts

View All Posts: Terminator

12345678910 ... 276277278 ... 305306307308309310311312313314315

» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 19:50 
josh_ains said:
exactly, why prevent the deadlift progressing that little bit more due to grip strength when every single comp seems to allow for straps, IMO it saves the grip for farmers and other grip oriented events.
dont think you can roll a car deadlift though so best off stopping that.

I don't have any grip issues at all with mixed grip. I could probably hold onto my max deadlift for a good 60 seconds.

The deadlift for my comp is an oly bar.
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 19:08 
Thing said:
aggred sort your form like some of us have told you before and train your whole posterior chain Ankles up to your traps.

I ought to add I don't normal hitch reps, but I just wanted to see how many I could do in 75 seconds to SM standards as comp practise.

Thanks for the advice, but I wouldn't say that there is a part of my posterior chain that I neglect, as I train squats, deadlifts, pendlay rows, hyper-extensions, front squats
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 14:37 
Paul_D said:Cut all that rolling bo***cks out for a start, you're really setting yourself up for a nasty injury with this current technique. Get that back flat too (or at least make some attempt to).

I feel much stronger off the floor when I roll the bar towards me, and its easier than getting my feet closer to the bar.

Thanks for the advice though, do you mean my lower and upper back?
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 14:29 
davycummings said:I did try straps on mixed grip as I almost always train mixed grip, but it was hard to get them as tight, and it didn't feel any more secure than strapping doh, infact it felt less so.

Try not to rely on straps too much at this stage of your training, or you will have difficulty when you arrive at a comp that doesn't allow straps

I found them hard to get tight too and it did feel less secure than mixed grip.

And definetly, I do all my deadlifting with mixed grip, but thought I'd better get a couple of practise sessions with straps before my comp (which allows straps).
» Madcows 5 x 5.. (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 13:56 
Strong session today:

Strict Paused OHP:

40 kg x 5
50 kg x 5
65 kg x 5

77.5 kg x 5 PB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFf73hZ_7E

Push Press:

50 kg x 5
70 kg x 3

80 kg x 5
85 kg x 5 PB
90 kg x 4 PB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQweS-pFzAA

Felt fast and explosive today

Front Squats:

40 kg x 5
60 kg x 5
80 kg x 5
85 kg x 5 PB

Deadlifts (strapped today for a feel):

70 kg x 8
120 kg x 5
160 kg x 4

200 kg x 7 PB (last 2 hitched) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVk0R1QgRv4

Would have had an 8th rep but I mildly s**t myself straining for the 7th. Lol

Pull ups:

» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 13:52 
VanillaGorilla said:
Christ.
Put them on the opposite way to your fingers you spanner. How else would they work?!
You'll quickly realise double overhand with straps is strong as a motherf**ker. I'm a firm believer in it putting you in a more beneficial position for a pull than a mixed grip too.

Ok, I did it your way today, straps felt weird at first, but that's probably due to me being used to mixed grip.

Video here if anyones interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVk0R1QgRv4
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)15-11-2011 @ 00:05 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Straps that aren't put on correctly will still be much better than without using them at all!
If you put them on correctly (the other way) you won't lose the bar!

Lol, ok. I'll try wrapping the opposite way , this will hopefully see to some beastly deadlifting tomorrow Happy
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 23:57 
Paul_D said:Yes, the straps would actually work then.

I wouldn't say my current setup doesn't work though, i.e. I have been able to lift more reps with straps & doh, than I have with just doh.
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 23:54 
Shaun said:
No, because there is no benefit to using mixed grip if straps are being used.

I can't find any specific examples on youtube, but I have seen 300 kg + pulls performed with straps and mixed grips.
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 23:52 
VanillaGorilla said:If you're putting them on right you'll never have any problems with doh and straps giving way.

You are wrapping them round the bar the opposite way to your fingers right?

No, I don't think I am wrapping them the opposite way to my fingers as it were.

I put them on my wrist and then put my hand by the bar (but not on the bar) then I point the long piece of strap away from me and over the top of the bar (away from me) and then thread it under the bottom of the bar (towards me)until the whole strap is wrapped round the bar. Then I grip the strapped area of the bar.

Would it make a significant difference if I wrapped them the other way round then?
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 22:57 
Hmm, I will give double overhand with straps another go tomorrow before I disregard it completely. Thanks for the advice guys.
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 22:41 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Double overhand is more comfy and, yes, eliminates bicep strain.

But if a lifter was in a comp and unconcerned with bicep strain, wouldn't it make sense to use mixed grip with straps for the best possible grip?
» Usage of Deadlift straps (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 22:36 
I see most guys in comps use straps with a double overhand grip- is this because you are protecting your biceps/ don't feel comfortable with a mixed grip?

Basically why do (most) lifters use double overhand and not mixed grip when they use straps?
» Champions of The Future 2. (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 20:56 
MarkClegg said:...

What is the time limit for each of the events? 75 seconds?
» Madcows 5 x 5.. (Go to post)14-11-2011 @ 19:58 
Tun said:The spotter tapped the bar so get rid of him! LOL....Very funny, Good spotting seems to be an art eh! Last week on my 110kg bench one of the guys at our gym touched the bar on my 5th rep so i could not claim it. IT WAS GOING UP!!!! lol...

Yeah I know what you mean man. That said I'm very grateful for the majority of guys who've spotted me when I asked politely and done a good job (A good job being just standing there and watching)

12345678910 ... 276277278 ... 305306307308309310311312313314315

You are here: HomeForumTerminator → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions