Who's Online - 0 members and 182 guests

snatch help please

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

WILLSANIconsnatch help please13-02-2013 @ 15:08 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
having a bit of trouble with my snatch. ive been hitting 90kg+ every week for about 3 months and taken my pb up to 101kg. problem is that I miss alot of lifts with lighter weights. always in the catch. not really 100% sure what im doing wrong so I put all my lifts, made and missed into a vid.

anyone got any suggestions?
RicoIcon...13-02-2013 @ 15:31 
Sugdens very own David Dimbleby
Member 1403, 3716 posts
SQ 220, BP 115, DL 260
595.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
From what i've seen with training partners etc that are relatively new to the oly lifts is the temptation to swing it overhead thus missing it backwards but i'm not sure this is what you are doing from this angle.

They look good though Cool
milsyIcon...13-02-2013 @ 15:51 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
I thaught failing lifts was all part of oly lifting

A good oly lifter once told me the diffrence between an good lifter and a average lifter is one will hit 40 out of 50 lifts perfect the other will hit 25 out of 50 lifts

I havnt got a a clue about oly lifting so won't embarrass myself but don't let it get you down iv seen a lad who clean and jerks 150 miss 2 130 powercleans before hitting a 140 in the same session
OwenLIcon...13-02-2013 @ 15:57 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Failing is part of it, but come to get on the platform and you cant afford to fail. Therefore try to minimise fails and maximise confidence in training. Looks decent Will, id just emphasise working on lighter lifts and getting them. My coach would kill me if i failed 70, and went for 75. I did around 10 doubles on 55 the other day, but the day before i did 70 for 5 doubles. Both are as useful as each other, but not failing felt more important.
slimsimIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:02 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
milsy said:
I havnt got a a clue about oly lifting so won't embarrass myself but don't let it get you down

me neither!

I don't think there's any major problem and in some instances I think you're probably just over-compensating between failed attempts. Notice on the 91kg at the end, it was lost one in front, one behind, one in front, one behind, one in front (albeit kind of pushed forward).

My coach used to tell me that it's the easiest thing in the world to do because you'll overpull one lift and lose it behind then over correct and not finish your pull on the next then missing that one in front, or vice versa.

I'd just say after missing a lift simply think through the movement in your head really thinking about standing up straight, clear your head about thoughts of the last miss and then do it.

In reality, you've probably only done a few hundred reps with anything above 80% of your max, so the consistency will come with more practice, especially practice with challenging but not maximal weights. My youngest daughter is 3.5years old and when she runs you can still never tell where her foot will land!! Same thing going on here to a very much lesser degree Wink Happy
WILLSANIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:02 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
milsy said:I thaught failing lifts was all part of oly lifting

A good oly lifter once told me the diffrence between an good lifter and a average lifter is one will hit 40 out of 50 lifts perfect the other will hit 25 out of 50 lifts

I havnt got a a clue about oly lifting so won't embarrass myself but don't let it get you down iv seen a lad who clean and jerks 150 miss 2 130 powercleans before hitting a 140 in the same session

im closer to the 25/50. Grin

yeah im getting to understand it is different from pl in strongman in that way. if I fail a deadlift, im just not strong enough. if I fail a snatch, I could may well go on and make a lift 20kg more in the same session. its all about percentages which is why im trying to improve my consistancy.

cheers for the input lads.
TobyCutlerIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:03 
Allegedly very strong, but only Carls word for it
Member 682, 838 posts
Are you using a hook grip? Looks as if you are, but not releasing it. Watched a video of a lifter saying to release the hook during the lift as its harder to hold the bar at the top with hook grip. I tried it and it felt better. May be completely wrong though!
WILLSANIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:21 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
OwenL said:Failing is part of it, but come to get on the platform and you cant afford to fail. Therefore try to minimise fails and maximise confidence in training. Looks decent Will, id just emphasise working on lighter lifts and getting them. My coach would kill me if i failed 70, and went for 75. I did around 10 doubles on 55 the other day, but the day before i did 70 for 5 doubles. Both are as useful as each other, but not failing felt more important.

I know the conventional wisdom says keep it light to get the movement but in practice I question to myself whether that will work. I mean, I can bully up a 50-60-70kg snatch even if my technique is awful whereas my technique needs to be good to hit 80+. so will it teach me the best technique by lifting light?

slimsim said:
me neither!
I don't think there's any major problem and in some instances I think you're probably just over-compensating between failed attempts. Notice on the 91kg at the end, it was lost one in front, one behind, one in front, one behind, one in front (albeit kind of pushed forward).
My coach used to tell me that it's the easiest thing in the world to do because you'll overpull one lift and lose it behind then over correct and not finish your pull on the next then missing that one in front, or vice versa.
I'd just say after missing a lift simply think through the movement in your head really thinking about standing up straight, clear your head about thoughts of the last miss and then do it.
In reality, you've probably only done a few hundred reps with anything above 80% of your max, so the consistency will come with more practice, especially practice with challenging but not maximal weights. My youngest daughter is 3.5years old and when she runs you can still never tell where her foot will land!! Same thing going on here to a very much lesser degree Wink Happy

thats a really interesting spot on the 91 fails. I didnt notice that at all! and that actually makes alot of sense. the more fails I stack up the angrier I get so maybe im more susceptible to over compensating the longer I go on.
WILLSANIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:23 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
TobyCutler said:Are you using a hook grip? Looks as if you are, but not releasing it. Watched a video of a lifter saying to release the hook during the lift as its harder to hold the bar at the top with hook grip. I tried it and it felt better. May be completely wrong though!

yes im hooking. im not actually sure if I release it though! I never thought about it before. ill see next time.

thanks for the input lads.
ystradboy79Icon...13-02-2013 @ 16:27 
Chris 'The Magician' Melling
Member 1443, 978 posts
SQ 270, BP 180, DL 320
770.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
I havent got a clue about oly lifting so feel free to shoot me down in flames lol , do you think that being in the rack could be affecting you , in that you cant really dump the bar behind you , well not safely anyway, so your more likely to lose it forward? As I say prob talking s**te just an observation Happy
WILLSANIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:53 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
ystradboy79 said:I havent got a clue about oly lifting so feel free to shoot me down in flames lol , do you think that being in the rack could be affecting you , in that you cant really dump the bar behind you , well not safely anyway, so your more likely to lose it forward? As I say prob talking s**te just an observation Happy

no worries mate, all input is gratefully recieved! lifting in the rack is not ideal but, aside from the back garden, its all the space ive got at the moment. although, when I fail the bar never really goes over my head. if its going behind I end up shooting backwards into the wall somehow! Grin
OwenLIcon...13-02-2013 @ 16:54 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
I know what you mean, but youll be getting a feel for where you want to be. Obviously dont use silly light weights. You sure you can do 5 doubles on 70? do it and see Wink

You ONLY snatch dont you? No snatch balances, no power snatch, no hang snatch. Add something different, same with deadlifting, you can just keep adding weight and expect to get stronger, you'd do rack/deficit pulls etc.

To snatch 100, ill probably need to be snatch balancing 120 (according to my coach) etc.
WILLSANIcon...13-02-2013 @ 17:21 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Haha I realise I'm probably arguing, possibly foolishly, against tried and tested methods AGAIN but..I've always been a great believer in keeping my training as sport specific as possible. So I usually only do one top set as it would be in competition, only lift in rep ranges I'm likely to be doing in competition, only variations I'm likely to encounter in competition etc. so I've taken this across to my weightlifting training. If I would only ever do singles on the weightlifting platform, why do doubles? If I need to learn to snatch, why do hang snatch or any other variation? And I think my thinking on this is emphasised by the fact that I'm training oly and strongman together so the time I've got to spend on snatching is limited to one session a week. I kind of feel that, that time spent doing snatch variations wont be as well spent as just doing snatch.
OwenLIcon...13-02-2013 @ 17:24 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
yeah tbf hang snatch is gay as f**k and i never do it. Grin But it was an example, a lot of good lifters hang snatch!!

Snatch balance will be your best best.

Power snatch
snatch
snatch balance

done!
MrSmallIcon...13-02-2013 @ 18:48 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
To get good at something, you need reps. Be that in singles every day, even twice a day, or higher volume less often. There is no way around this. Go and tell ANY athlete that doing their sport for a total of around 5 minutes of activity once or twice a week will get them anywhere. I remember having this discussion with Kev about weightlifting being a unique sport, in that somebody wanting to get good at football, can go and kick a ball for 6-7 hours a day non stop, shooting balls through tyres. A weightlifter cannot do that, because if you are learning and progressing, you need to be using more and more weight, meaning worse and worse recovery. So maybe you can spend 3 hours a day on just a bar, but you are not preparing yourself for a max effort, which is what its all about at the end of the day.

So there has to be a mixture of maximal work, and repetition work, to both learn the movement in itself, and also learn how to do the lift with the weights you will be in competition, i.e maximal. This is how I feel at the moment and the last few weeks of my training have been far better off with this in mind. But you have to have both, unless you have a coach in which case you don't need to be wondering how to train!

"Missing is part of the sport" is an absolute massive copout for people who do not have the patience to respect the sport enough to learn to do it properly, no offence to Owen here. I was guilty of this in my last competition in that I just power snatched and that was embarrassing but I was not prepared. But you should never miss light weights because they are too light. It can happen, but it should not be accepted as the norm. First time you do it, ok its a fluke. Second time you do that, you get laughed out of any respectable gym. Third time you do that, you really don't know what the f**k you are doing. I have also done this in the past. Been ropey with 60-70kg but still assumed I was good for whatever some back squat to snatch ratio said I was for, and wasted f**king MONTHS making zero progress - which is why my PBs (ok I've lost bodyweight but who counts that) have gone up exactly 1kg each in about 6 months, 3 of which have been training every day so its not for lack of trying. Now, things are different, and I will make quicker progress. But if you just whack away at it, you will not get anywhere unless you are BULL strong and even then that just gives you a little bit more error margin. Squats and stuff are different, you can squat, even squat badly, every day, and it will go up.

You want to be a weightlifter, you have to give it the time, and that involves a lot of punches to the ego. You are s**tty and off balance with the bar, sort it out. You put 50kg on and you are ropey but you squat 200, well you can't snatch more than 50 properly so it doesn't matter.

If you wanted to be a great boxer, would you expect to be good because you have done karate before? Would you expect to be a good triathlete because you used to do swim every summer every day? Just because you lift or lifted weights doesn't mean you can be a weightlifter overnight.

The guys that succeed by doing "max every day" or every session are guys who either have very good technique, have a coach, or both. If you are not that person don't try it, I have wasted a lot of time doing s**t like that.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions