REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 333 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWSM 2016?

WSM 2016?

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

12345678910 ... 394041 ... 8889909192939495969798

dannyboy73Icon...10-08-2016 @ 16:06 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Shaw is no god. Hes very strong.But also very overrated all of a sudden.

In contrast...Loz is underrated. Don't count the young fella out!

Personally, Id like to see Z in shape and there...that will make it more interesting...especially if Thor is out!
badmongoIcon...10-08-2016 @ 16:12 
has experience of quad imbalance
Member 3676, 427 posts
On the day(s) it could go either way. The events probably favour Shaw but mistakes can be made and I doubt anyone is hungrier for the win than Hall. Hopefully it will be a close fight and fun to watch

One thing I don't get though is the talk of Eddies massive supplement usage, its not an area I have experience in so I'm not claiming to be an expert but surely he is not unique in this are. Shaw rocks a permanent bloat and even though he is likely the most gifted genetically, did he not also blow up massively when transitioning into strongman?
MJGIcon...10-08-2016 @ 17:06 
Member 5560, 769 posts
badmongo said:On the day(s) it could go either way. The events probably favour Shaw but mistakes can be made and I doubt anyone is hungrier for the win than Hall. Hopefully it will be a close fight and fun to watch

One thing I don't get though is the talk of Eddies massive supplement usage, its not an area I have experience in so I'm not claiming to be an expert but surely he is not unique in this are. Shaw rocks a permanent bloat and even though he is likely the most gifted genetically, did he not also blow up massively when transitioning into strongman?

I don't think Shaw is that gifted genetically. Like Thor he was a skinny basketball player. Someone like Hollands who would naturally struggle to stay under 20 stone and could deadlift 280 with no training I would class as the most genetically gifted.

Terry was the first of the modern breed of strongman. Huge and fast. Before him you were either, or.
SteBennettIcon...10-08-2016 @ 17:09 
Average hamstring at best
Member 4663, 588 posts
BrenWad said:
Brits was an absolute joke of a competition compared to WSM, both in weights and in the pressure of competition, plus he's way heavier now.
Z has never been 410lbs at all, nowhere near it. Z is also a much larger person than Hall naturally. I have stood next to both of them, and Z is just a much more athletic man, with his enormous weight packed in a different way. Z has not gone from 20 stone to 30 stone in four years, and nor does he carry that sloppy fat all over his body like Hall. Z also does not have massive blood pressure issues, or insulin face.
I find it amazing tbh that people who seem so knowledgeable about strongman think that it's possible for somebody who struggles at moving events, and regularly requires oxygen after events, to somehow win WSM, despite failing to complete an elite level comp for a full year.
Like I have said, stick him in a powerlifting comp against the half squatting Lillibridge and co, and he'd destroy them after a short period of specialization-he's that strong. I also think the bench record would fall. He could likely raw deadlift over a grand also. He will not win the WSM in the shape he is in.

I'm not saying he will win, I personally think shaw will win. But the way you right hall off makes no logical sense to me! He came 4th last year and looked very competitive, yes he's put more weight on but I'm sure he knows better than anyone how its affected him from training. He'll know better than any of us on here debating it.

You've a valid point, z does carry the weight better. However I do believe you read too much into him not finishing a comp. Also if I'm right I don't think he relies on the oxygen anymore, not like he use to which suggests he's fitter than whether was lighter.

I also don't consider him to struggle at moving events anymore. They may not be his strength but I don't feel it's half as much an issue as some make out
SteBennettIcon...10-08-2016 @ 17:14 
Member 4663, 588 posts
Also as for the sloppy body fat, wasn't his body fat % surprisingly low when tested?!
And he hasn't put ten stone on in 4 years, that's a massive exaggeration
PaulSavageIcon...10-08-2016 @ 17:21 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
MJG said:
I don't think Shaw is that gifted genetically. Like Thor he was a skinny basketball player. Someone like Hollands who would naturally struggle to stay under 20 stone and could deadlift 280 with no training I would class as the most genetically gifted.
Terry was the first of the modern breed of strongman. Huge and fast. Before him you were either, or.

You are either trolololing or confused. Brian Shaw was strongest guy in the gym without training just like big tel and has the biggest frame of anybody I've ever seen, makes tel look pretty normal and he's a giant. You would struggle to get better genetics for strongman than Shaw if you designed an athlete in a computer programme.
PaulSavageIcon...10-08-2016 @ 17:23 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
SteBennett said:Also as for the sloppy body fat, wasn't his body fat % surprisingly low when tested?!
And he hasn't put ten stone on in 4 years, that's a massive exaggeration

Yeah all tests found him to be very healthy. He's put on 8.5 stone in 7 years.
AdamTIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:04 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
MJG said:

That is rubbish mate. He was very strong from the beginning.
MJGIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:16 
Member 5560, 769 posts
AdamT said:
That is rubbish mate. He was very strong from the beginning.

didn't make WSM final on his debut. Unlike Thor.
AdamTIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:17 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
MJG said:
didn't make WSM final on his debut. Unlike Thor.

Did Terry??

That doesn't mean he wasnt genetically gifted.
MJGIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:22 
Member 5560, 769 posts
AdamT said:
Did Terry??
That doesn't mean he wasnt genetically gifted.

Agreed.

Terry came a lot closer than Brian and with only 18 months training.

Have a look at a picture of Shaw before he weight trained and Terry before he weight trained.

Apples and Oranges. Shaw was a skinny basketball player. If neither had discovered strongman Terry would be the heavier man.
AdamTIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:24 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
MJG said:
Agreed.
Terry came a lot closer than Brian and with only 18 months training.
Have a look at a picture of Shaw before he weight trained and Terry before he weight trained.
Apples and Oranges. Shaw was a skinny basketball player. If neither had discovered strongman Terry would be the heavier man.

Would terry be as heavy as Paul Wight? Weight isn't everything.

I'm a huge fan of Terry, but if he was so genetically gifted and fast, why did Mariusz always dominate?
MJGIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:32 
Member 5560, 769 posts
AdamT said:
Would terry be as heavy as Paul Wight? Weight isn't everything.
I'm a huge fan of Terry, but if he was so genetically gifted and fast, why did Mariusz always dominate?

So is the guy who wins always the most genetically gifted or are there other factors?
SteBennettIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:39 
Member 4663, 588 posts
MJG said:
So is the guy who wins always the most genetically gifted or are there other factors?

Hard work beats talent???

But hard work will only take you so far without genetics
AdamTIcon...10-08-2016 @ 18:42 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
SteBennett said:
Hard work beats talent???
But hard work will only take you so far without genetics

Correct.

12345678910 ... 394041 ... 8889909192939495969798

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWSM 2016?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions