Lance & Oprah

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Tom_MartinIcon...18-01-2013 @ 10:03 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Would steroids help or would you need testosterone replacement if you had limited abilities to produce it naturally yourself?

One would imagine straight testosterone would be best (he admitted to testosterone)

Taking other compounds but NOT testosterone does 2 things. ... Firstly, it shuts down your own production of testosterone, and secondly, replaces it with something that isn't even testosterone, so not ideal. I think this is why you hear about men having erectile dysfunction while taking steroid stacks that don't include testosterone.
Dave85Icon...18-01-2013 @ 10:04 
to row or not to row ...that is the question
Member 1963, 811 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 140, DL 265
607.5 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
martinb said:
You know fine well what I meant
The man had cancer EVERYWHERE, and has taken drugs that are supposed to be highly toxic, some of them carcinogens, for a decade, but seems the picture of health
is he lucky?
was he actually highly conservative and risk averse like he says?
is it maybe not as bad for you as we are lead to believe?

$100 million dollars buys you a lot of time with some very good doctors.

Taking that many drugs without the medical advice would be a lot riskier!
davycummingsIcon...18-01-2013 @ 10:04 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
martinb said:
was he allowed trt anyway?

It seems he got a back dated medical exemption certificate to cover him from 1999, so he would not have failed a test for testosterone, at least that is how it is reported on the bbc.

Having had testicular cancer I can see how a medical exemption for trt would be fair enough in this case

The EPO, HGH and blood transfusions, well, not so much of an excuse for that
CuddlesIcon...18-01-2013 @ 10:41 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
martinb said:
You know fine well what I meant
The man had cancer EVERYWHERE, and has taken drugs that are supposed to be highly toxic, some of them carcinogens, for a decade, but seems the picture of health
is he lucky?
was he actually highly conservative and risk averse like he says?
is it maybe not as bad for you as we are lead to believe?

Well for a start, my understanding of the use of testosterone was as a recovery aid, to allow you to put the miles in without falling apart. Quite low doses (actually more like TRT levels than lifter levels). Now, if doctors are prescribing test at these levels for increased longevity and quality of life, then I dont see how you would expect him to look old and withered from taking it?

HGH seems widely to be touted as the fountain of youth, he took that.

Blood transfusions - not carcinogenic

EPO - not particularly carcinogenic, although has been linked with increased growth of certain tumours

He is also one of the fittest men on the planet, had access to some of the most knowledgeable doctors around and had $100ms to help fund his life.

I can see a few reasons why he might look quite healthy....
martinbIcon...18-01-2013 @ 10:46 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
Well for a start, my understanding of the use of testosterone was as a recovery aid, to allow you to put the miles in without falling apart. Quite low doses (actually more like TRT levels than lifter levels). Now, if doctors are prescribing test at these levels for increased longevity and quality of life, then I dont see how you would expect him to look old and withered from taking it?
HGH seems widely to be touted as the fountain of youth, he took that.
Blood transfusions - not carcinogenic
EPO - not particularly carcinogenic, although has been linked with increased growth of certain tumours
He is also one of the fittest men on the planet, had access to some of the most knowledgeable doctors around and had $100ms to help fund his life.
I can see a few reasons why he might look quite healthy....

The carcinogenic bit was from earlier in this thread, hadn't heard it myself, might not have been right

Yeah as others have said too, being a multimillionaire probably doesn't harm the level of medical care you get

I doubt the stuff he was/is (must still be on trt?) taking was made in a dirty bath tub

I did think things like EPO was a risky substance though
ChrisGloverIcon...18-01-2013 @ 10:46 
does 'bench only' comps ...LOL
Member 1469, 377 posts
Just read something interesting whether it is right or wrong im not sure but - If they were to give his revoked wins to the first that has never been linked to doping these would be the winner:

2000 – Daniele Nardello, 10th
2001 – Andre Kivilev, 4th
2002 – Jose Azevedo, 6th
2003 – Haimar Zubeldia, 5th
2004 – Jose Azevedo, 5th
2005 – Cadel Evans, 8th

Every single podium finisher from the Armstrong era of dominance has been found guilty of, or been linked to, doping.

If this is true i dont find it shocking and thats saying the above list just havent been caught so who knows haha
SteveIcon...18-01-2013 @ 11:07 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
ChrisGlover said:Just read something interesting whether it is right or wrong im not sure but - If they were to give his revoked wins to the first that has never been linked to doping these would be the winner:

2000 – Daniele Nardello, 10th
2001 – Andre Kivilev, 4th
2002 – Jose Azevedo, 6th
2003 – Haimar Zubeldia, 5th
2004 – Jose Azevedo, 5th
2005 – Cadel Evans, 8th

Every single podium finisher from the Armstrong era of dominance has been found guilty of, or been linked to, doping.

If this is true i dont find it shocking and thats saying the above list just havent been caught so who knows haha

If I understood correctly they don't intend to award the Tour titles to anybody else now he had been stripped of the so I guess that's pretty much and admission by cycling that they can't be sure if anybody was " clean"
martinbIcon...18-01-2013 @ 11:13 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Cuddles I also I think my expectations of what a 40+ guy who used to take PEDs looks like only come from strongman, probably not a good comparison with Lance....
happychristoIcon...18-01-2013 @ 12:09 
Member 2716, 23 posts
SQ 215, BP 145, DL 230
590.0 kgs @ 92kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.01.2013 @ 12:12 PM by happychristo
Genuinely surprised he has admitted to the use. That he doped is not exactly a revelation, only the very naive believed him to be clean.

As an aside I think that doped cycling is much more interesting. It's frustrating to watch Evans and Wiggins plodding along with nobody attacking, and everything being decided in the time trials.

I think of the doping in cycling to be a bit like mario-cart were you have a boost. Not everyone will use their boost at the same stage in the race. One guy might use his on an early mountain stage maybe another guy a bit later so he'll have more reserve in the final TT.

I can't see it being any different now, Contador beat Cancellara in that long flat TT a few years ago, when he was about 55kg. He didn't fail any tests after that stage...must have been clean.
assumIcon...18-01-2013 @ 12:35 
to assume makes an ass out of u and me
Member 3391, 75 posts
Does anyone know if any of the testers or officials in any sport are themselves tested? While it's completely abhorant that people need to cheat to feel on a level playing field I personaly feel it would be nice to know that the untouchables are indeed untouched.

Does Oprah juice?
CuddlesIcon...18-01-2013 @ 12:53 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
happychristo said:Genuinely surprised he has admitted to the use. That he doped is not exactly a revelation, only the very naive believed him to be clean.

As an aside I think that doped cycling is much more interesting. It's frustrating to watch Evans and Wiggins plodding along with nobody attacking, and everything being decided in the time trials.

I think of the doping in cycling to be a bit like mario-cart were you have a boost. Not everyone will use their boost at the same stage in the race. One guy might use his on an early mountain stage maybe another guy a bit later so he'll have more reserve in the final TT.

I can't see it being any different now, Contador beat Cancellara in that long flat TT a few years ago, when he was about 55kg. He didn't fail any tests after that stage...must have been clean.

You realise that Wiggins 'plodding' along is him attacking right? He doesnt have the explosion to attack a la Contador or Purrito so he attacks the only way he can.

I also think you dont watch enough cycling. Did you watch last years Giro or Vuelta? Or the Giro, Vuelta or Tour in 2011?

I didnt see any 'plodding' in any of those races, just good old fashioned bike racing, and some brilliantly entertaining racing at that.
Tom_MartinIcon...18-01-2013 @ 13:05 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
You realise that Wiggins 'plodding' along is him attacking right? He doesnt have the explosion to attack a la Contador or Purrito so he attacks the only way he can.
I also think you dont watch enough cycling. Did you watch last years Giro or Vuelta? Or the Giro, Vuelta or Tour in 2011?
I didnt see any 'plodding' in any of those races, just good old fashioned bike racing, and some brilliantly entertaining racing at that.

Yeah all the long distance runners used to try explaining how exciting the 3000m races were to me as well...........
bryceIcon...18-01-2013 @ 13:06 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
Yeah all the long distance runners used to try explaining how exciting the 3000m races were to me as well...........

LOL
hixxy1985Icon...18-01-2013 @ 13:19 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9594 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
fair play to him, took some bottle to get up and admit that with his reputation
IainKendrickIcon...18-01-2013 @ 13:25 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said:fair play to him, took some bottle to get up and admit that with his reputation

Maybe. However he didnt come clean off his own accord. Simply what team lance thought was best bet now given the situation. Plus he was paid well for it too. Which given some outcomes possible in the future he may need!

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitLance & Oprah
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions