REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 3 members and 70 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumhappychristo → View All Posts

View All Posts: happychristo

» Lance & Oprah (Go to post)18-01-2013 @ 15:14 
Post Edited: 18.01.2013 @ 15:20 PM by happychristo
I'm not sure how you interpreted what I wrote as last years Giro being boring. The bit about route change could be better placed in the text, it's a bit confusing alright, ignore it.

Yes I'm aware that a Canadian won last year, I was merely illustrating that the Giro is a bent race with some of my past examples.

I didn't say that the Lance era was exciting, but when Pantani was there in 2000 it was exciting, he wasn't in great condition but still won 2 mountain stages if I remember correctly. Vonteux and Cuercheval.

The rest of the time Lance was too dominant for it to be exciting, there were not enough protagonists during that time. The only other bit of excitement during the Armstrong era was when Armstrong got the bonk on Joux Plane and lost time to Ullrich.

Okay people don't want doping but a lot of people want a battle between a good few riders. Too dominant a rider is boring, there is no surprise in that. Explosive cycling is exciting. Doping probably allows more riders to compete at the same level, it's not fair or idea.

If Lance hadn't won that incredibly soft 1999 TDF I wonder how things would have panned out.
» Lance & Oprah (Go to post)18-01-2013 @ 13:40 
I watch the entire cycling calender from Milan San Remo to the Tour of Lombardy. I've been a cycling fan all my life, since before the Lance era, and I'm not just a spectator.

If you like the excitement of The Giro that is my point really, it is so crooked, the organisers are likely to be in on it there. Salvoldelli,Di Luca, Simoni, Gotti, Scarponi to name a few, these guys are creations of doping. They were never able to perform in the TDF, where the organisers weren't so bent.

It is exciting because they are juiced up to the gills. Not just that but the organisers have a history of cheating non Italians out of victories, removing difficult mountain passes if their favourite Italian was at risk of being beaten y a non Italian (Fignon V Moser) or creating a daft course like in 1999 so that Pantani could dominate(that went a bit pear shaped though).

Yeah last years Vuelta was exciting, why? Contador.
2011 TDF? Snooze fest once it was clear Contador didn't have the guns.
Who else has been exciting in recent years? Vinoukorov.

Doping makes exciting racing and that's what the fans want. More protagonists more action, some say they want clean racing but if this years TDF or last years with a sub par Contador are what clean cyling is like I think many will turn to the Giro and Vuelta where they can watch TDF also-rans win stages with exciting attacking racing.
» Lance & Oprah (Go to post)18-01-2013 @ 12:09 
Post Edited: 18.01.2013 @ 12:12 PM by happychristo
Genuinely surprised he has admitted to the use. That he doped is not exactly a revelation, only the very naive believed him to be clean.

As an aside I think that doped cycling is much more interesting. It's frustrating to watch Evans and Wiggins plodding along with nobody attacking, and everything being decided in the time trials.

I think of the doping in cycling to be a bit like mario-cart were you have a boost. Not everyone will use their boost at the same stage in the race. One guy might use his on an early mountain stage maybe another guy a bit later so he'll have more reserve in the final TT.

I can't see it being any different now, Contador beat Cancellara in that long flat TT a few years ago, when he was about 55kg. He didn't fail any tests after that stage...must have been clean.
» Lance & Oprah (Go to post)10-01-2013 @ 15:02 
Yes, they are certainly the edited highlights from the Lance album.
» Lance & Oprah (Go to post)10-01-2013 @ 14:36 
I will be extremely surprised if he admits anything. No positives tests were ever released by the UCI, so he will continue to say that there is no evidence against him.

He might then say that he has moved on and that he is "the bigger man", that he no longer cares about the governing bodies, that he knows in his heart what he has won.

As the grand finale it's likely that he will state that he wants to focus the rest of his life on his charity work and looking after his family.

Lance the American who came from a broken family, was bullied for being poor, took on the might of the European cycling scene and dominated at age 21, diagnosed with cancer, he conquered that too, then decided to dominate the TDF for 7 consecutive years. Now all he wants to do is look after his family and fight on behalf of other unfortunates like himself...brings a tear to my eye.

It's a pity we wont ever hear him admit the truth.
» Cycling - 'The Cleanest Sport'? (Go to post)17-12-2011 @ 11:37 
Post Edited: 17.12.2011 @ 11:40 AM by happychristo
Cuddles I agree with you, the idea of drug free cycling truly is laughable.

I think drugs always have been and always will be a massive part of cycling. The only difference now is that the UCI are attempting to tackle it.

I think that the drug tests though were prompted by fear over loss of sponsorship at the top level and the potential collapse of professional cycling post Tour De France 1998 after the doping scandal.

The continuation of professional cycling was not in any doubt when nobody was aware of the extent of drug use in the peleton and sponsors were happy to pile in. From a financial point of view there was no need for the UCI to do anything and to admit the use of EPO in a time when no test existed would have been pretty daft. Morality would have cost to much.

In my opinion the drug tests in cycling have nothing to do with fairness in sport or riders' health and are there only to ensure the continuation of professional cycling. Many top ex-professionals are now employed by governing body (UCI) and main race organisers such as the ASO who own, among many races,the TDF brand. The governing body, race organisers and professional cycling are one and the same.

So yes cycling is doing a lot more than any other sport that I can think of to catch dopers. Could it be that until something similar to the 1998 TDF doping scandal occurs in other sports they will continue to do as the UCI did until 1999 and pretend there is no problem?

I don't see how it could happen in a lot of sports though. The nature of professional cycling, where riders race week after week for 8 months, with some races lasting 3 weeks, means that doping programmes and racing schedules coincide increasing the likelihood of being caught in competition. In many other sports though training is done in the shadows and the athletes arrive for a single day event as clean as a whistle.

I reason that this allows them run their doping programme and training together with a much lower chance of being caught. With fewer athletes competing while being doped they are fewer positives, and with fewer positive tests there is less need for doping tests.

I have to conclude that Positive Tests In-Competition must be the driving force for more drug tests and only a select few sports call for doping while competing.
» Cycling - 'The Cleanest Sport'? (Go to post)16-12-2011 @ 17:54 
My opinion is that in cycling there are "types" of riders who will get more benefit out of taking drugs.

The sprinters like Cavendish win so many races per year (20+) that they are going to be tested a lot more than the guys who come 15th or 60th. The sprinters though have the least need for the drugs typically used in cycling. EPO, blood doping, CERA and all the rest of the blood boosting methods have will offer little benefit to Cav and the rest of the sprinters.

The sprinters will never excel in the mountainous stages or very hilly races, they only come out to play on the flatter stages. They get an armchair ride to the finish with 5-8 teammates protecting them and it's up to their sprinting ability and instinct inn the last 300metres.

The GC contenders and mountain climbers are those who are likely to be using drugs. And looking back at TDF WINNERS from 1996 Riis, Ullrich,Pantani, LArmstrong, LA, La, La, La, La, La, Landis, Contador, Sastre, Contador, Evans.

Of them all only Sastre and Evans don't stand out as obvious juicers and SAstre rode For teamONCE when Sainz was running things. So only Evans might be clean

Giro winners in last 5 years include Contador x 2 simoni, dilucA, Basso, again all dopers.

I could go on and on pointing out overall contenders/mountain climbers who are caught year in year out. Remember those are just the winners I listed, the tip of the iceberg.

Oh yeah also Tyler Hamilton and Vinoukourov spring to mind. Both used blood doping and were caught because they used a doner rather than their own blood.

Apologies if I have not been coherent, the thrust of my rant is Sprinters like Cav don't really need the drugs as much as GC riders, but because they win so many races they are tested a lot.

Using Cav as an example of how clean cycling is may be grossly misleading.
» Bike punctures... (Go to post)02-12-2011 @ 21:57 
Before you buy new tyres try a few of these things:

You might be doing all the following things but in case you are new to cycling I have a list of things which I have found reduced the incidence of punctures.

The first one is the most important for stopping puncture, especially on racers and hybrids with thinner tyres;

Pump you tyres up to the maximum recommended pressure. You'll have to do this every couple of days as the top end pressure leaks out quite quickly. This will stop you getting a lot of impact punctures, these give your tube the two "snake-bite" punctures.

Every time you get a puncture run your hand along the entire inside of the tube feeling for any thorns, glass or flint( and remove it). If you don't do this you'll likely get another puncture as the offending object works its way into the tube.

Check the outside of your tyres before every journey for glass, stones etc and pick them out before they work their way in.

Obviously don't cycle through glass and thorns.

Some tyres are useless so if you are already doing all these things invest in a better pair. I'd say kevlar lined ones such as armadillos (not sure of name) would be a better bet than those gel ones that I think you are talking about.
» Wacky endurance building idea (Go to post)01-11-2011 @ 17:58 
Wayne I have found you a training partner:

» Pat Mendes - Pan American Games (Go to post)01-11-2011 @ 09:09 
Post Edited: 01.11.2011 @ 09:26 AM by happychristo
Sorry LukeC "Are you not entertained?". It was a poor joke I'll admit.

Just to clarify it was a poke at the viewers, myself included not the lifters. The videos of Pat training really are convincing and when you throw in the fame that YouTube have given him most want to see him do well. It is disappointing then when I realise that based on his competition lifts he won't be on the Olympic podium. I would love to see him do well probably based on a feeling that I "Know" him from these videos and the rest of the competition I have never seen before.
» Pat Mendes - Pan American Games (Go to post)31-10-2011 @ 23:24 
Post Edited: 31.10.2011 @ 23:25 PM by happychristo
Those two clips of him are all there is on YouTube. He must not realise that Olympic medals are awarded based on the number of YouTube views your clips have received.
» Pat Mendes - Pan American Games (Go to post)31-10-2011 @ 19:15 
Post Edited: 31.10.2011 @ 19:16 PM by happychristo
I was looking at that guy Wilson's videos before and I came across one video from world youth championships.

I don't really know anything about Olympic weightlifting but in this video the guy Alexey Kosov lifting at around four minutes fifteen into the video looks like he has a much faster/easier clean than the rest of his category.

» Wacky endurance building idea (Go to post)31-10-2011 @ 17:28 
Post Edited: 31.10.2011 @ 17:30 PM by happychristo
I am guessing that freediving involves extremely efficient movement. It would be low intensity and, therefore, aerobic in nature. The diving would be all about wasting as little oxygen as possible and being able to tolerate higher levels of CO2 in the bloodstream, as it is rising CO2 levels that cause the urge to breath.

I know they hyperventilate before diving to "blow off" CO2 and start the dive with a reduced CO2 level so they have a larger capacity to accumulate CO2 before they have the urge to breath.

I may be talking nonsense but I think that despite the obvious lack of available oxygen in the water, their activity is aerobic in nature and not helpful to your strongman activities.

It is an interesting topic though and I hope I am wrong and that you can train simply by watching blue planet holding your breath.
» Wayne says..... (Go to post)27-10-2011 @ 22:20 
Post Edited: 27.10.2011 @ 22:22 PM by happychristo
Wasn't he Jimmy twice? He got him a job on the docks and then was back as him in the first evil leaper episode. There are some sad ones alright, like the one where he went back to his family and played "Imagine" to his sister before it had been written to prove he knew the future; that his brother would be killed in Vietnam.
» Wayne says..... (Go to post)27-10-2011 @ 22:11 
Quantum Leap is brilliant. The episode where he ended up in a mental asylum and was given ESP and acts the part of some of the people he had been in previous leaps, is one of the best.

You are here: HomeForumhappychristo → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto