Who's Online - 1 member and 261 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitLance & Oprah

Lance & Oprah

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

jamesdrake185Icon...18-01-2013 @ 13:29 
Member 4284, 32 posts
SQ 190, BP 110, DL 220
520.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said:fair play to him, took some bottle to get up and admit that with his reputation

seemed to be as honest as possible
hixxy1985Icon...18-01-2013 @ 13:30 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9594 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
IainKendrick said:
Maybe. However he didnt come clean off his own accord. Simply what team lance thought was best bet now given the situation. Plus he was paid well for it too. Which given some outcomes possible in the future he may need!

regardless of the reasons, i sure wouldnt wanna sit there and do what he did.

the whole things a farce, he should just be called champion of the dopers and be done with it. If they didnt cat catch him on a test then so be it. Move on lol
mikex101Icon...18-01-2013 @ 13:34 
never too old
Member 637, 760 posts
Post Edited: 18.01.2013 @ 13:39 PM by mikex101
tz1127 said:
what's the difference between taking steroids and TRT?

ones dirty cheating bas***d cheating and the other is sociably acceptable cheating.

In the eyes of the general public anyway.
happychristoIcon...18-01-2013 @ 13:40 
Member 2716, 23 posts
SQ 215, BP 145, DL 230
590.0 kgs @ 92kgs UnEq
I watch the entire cycling calender from Milan San Remo to the Tour of Lombardy. I've been a cycling fan all my life, since before the Lance era, and I'm not just a spectator.

If you like the excitement of The Giro that is my point really, it is so crooked, the organisers are likely to be in on it there. Salvoldelli,Di Luca, Simoni, Gotti, Scarponi to name a few, these guys are creations of doping. They were never able to perform in the TDF, where the organisers weren't so bent.

It is exciting because they are juiced up to the gills. Not just that but the organisers have a history of cheating non Italians out of victories, removing difficult mountain passes if their favourite Italian was at risk of being beaten y a non Italian (Fignon V Moser) or creating a daft course like in 1999 so that Pantani could dominate(that went a bit pear shaped though).

Yeah last years Vuelta was exciting, why? Contador.
2011 TDF? Snooze fest once it was clear Contador didn't have the guns.
Who else has been exciting in recent years? Vinoukorov.

Doping makes exciting racing and that's what the fans want. More protagonists more action, some say they want clean racing but if this years TDF or last years with a sub par Contador are what clean cyling is like I think many will turn to the Giro and Vuelta where they can watch TDF also-rans win stages with exciting attacking racing.
CuddlesIcon...18-01-2013 @ 14:18 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I'm not sure that even makes much sense, last years Giro wasnt exciting because of the history of cheating non-Italians out of wins?

You do realise that a Canadian won it last year, right? To me past races have nothing to do with my excitement at watching a current race.

The 2011 Tour was a snoozefest? Compared to the Lance era? Really?
SteveIcon...18-01-2013 @ 14:42 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
happychristo said:I watch the entire cycling calender from Milan San Remo to the Tour of Lombardy. I've been a cycling fan all my life, since before the Lance era, and I'm not just a spectator.

If you like the excitement of The Giro that is my point really, it is so crooked, the organisers are likely to be in on it there. Salvoldelli,Di Luca, Simoni, Gotti, Scarponi to name a few, these guys are creations of doping. They were never able to perform in the TDF, where the organisers weren't so bent.

It is exciting because they are juiced up to the gills. Not just that but the organisers have a history of cheating non Italians out of victories, removing difficult mountain passes if their favourite Italian was at risk of being beaten y a non Italian (Fignon V Moser) or creating a daft course like in 1999 so that Pantani could dominate(that went a bit pear shaped though).

Yeah last years Vuelta was exciting, why? Contador.
2011 TDF? Snooze fest once it was clear Contador didn't have the guns.
Who else has been exciting in recent years? Vinoukorov.

Doping makes exciting racing and that's what the fans want. More protagonists more action, some say they want clean racing but if this years TDF or last years with a sub par Contador are what clean cyling is like I think many will turn to the Giro and Vuelta where they can watch TDF also-rans win stages with exciting attacking racing.

If people wanted untested, doped up sports because they were more exciting then surely we would see untested professional sports. The fact that, with a couple of exceptions like strongman, top professional sport is tested surely proves that people want to see "clean" competition more than extreme performances.
JCIcon...18-01-2013 @ 14:51 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Steve said:
If people wanted untested, doped up sports because they were more exciting then surely we would see untested professional sports. The fact that, with a couple of exceptions like strongman, top professional sport is tested surely proves that people want to see "clean" competition more than extreme performances.

Not really.

PEDS are illegal. Any sport that has any king of government affiliation could not be seen to condone the use of prohibited substances (this isn't a problem with SM)
happychristoIcon...18-01-2013 @ 15:14 
Member 2716, 23 posts
SQ 215, BP 145, DL 230
590.0 kgs @ 92kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.01.2013 @ 15:20 PM by happychristo
I'm not sure how you interpreted what I wrote as last years Giro being boring. The bit about route change could be better placed in the text, it's a bit confusing alright, ignore it.

Yes I'm aware that a Canadian won last year, I was merely illustrating that the Giro is a bent race with some of my past examples.

I didn't say that the Lance era was exciting, but when Pantani was there in 2000 it was exciting, he wasn't in great condition but still won 2 mountain stages if I remember correctly. Vonteux and Cuercheval.

The rest of the time Lance was too dominant for it to be exciting, there were not enough protagonists during that time. The only other bit of excitement during the Armstrong era was when Armstrong got the bonk on Joux Plane and lost time to Ullrich.

Okay people don't want doping but a lot of people want a battle between a good few riders. Too dominant a rider is boring, there is no surprise in that. Explosive cycling is exciting. Doping probably allows more riders to compete at the same level, it's not fair or idea.

If Lance hadn't won that incredibly soft 1999 TDF I wonder how things would have panned out.
ChrisGloverIcon...18-01-2013 @ 15:27 
does 'bench only' comps ...LOL
Member 1469, 377 posts
If suddenly no one was running under 10 seconds in the 100metres s**t would hit the fan!

People wanna see big performances, when the olympics 100metre is on the first place people look is the clock, they wanna see how fast.

If you take drugs out of sport it would become a very dormant stage at some point. Drugs make sport exciting and i thoroughly believe that.
martinbIcon...18-01-2013 @ 15:30 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
ChrisGlover said:If suddenly no one was running under 10 seconds in the 100metres s**t would hit the fan!

People wanna see big performances, when the olympics 100metre is on the first place people look is the clock, they wanna see how fast.

If you take drugs out of sport it would become a very dormant stage at some point. Drugs make sport exciting and i thoroughly believe that.

Surely its less tangible in cycling though, as long as there are guys racing each other its exciting. Doesn't really matter how fast they are going does it?
SteveIcon...18-01-2013 @ 15:51 
Member 255, 3732 posts
JC said:
Not really.
PEDS are illegal. Any sport that has any king of government affiliation could not be seen to condone the use of prohibited substances (this isn't a problem with SM)

Whilst some PEDs are now illegal, they certainly didn't used to be. When I first started lifting they were still available over the counter in many parts of Europe. However there still wasn't untested, anything goes sport.

Whilst I accept that people want to see records etc, I also think the general public wants to believe that competitors are doing it themselves and not with the aid of artificial assistance.

ChrisGlover said:If suddenly no one was running under 10 seconds in the 100metres s**t would hit the fan!

Whilst I'm sure this is true, I still suspect there would be more interest, sponsorship, TV coverage for a tested 10 second 100m final than a 9.5s final where all the competitors were known to be doped up.

What has happened in US baseball since they've tightened up on testing?
BodIcon...18-01-2013 @ 16:26 
Member 174, 1236 posts
Will part two offer any more in-depth insights I wonder?
Tom_MartinIcon...18-01-2013 @ 16:49 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Anyway I still don't think he did it, there's no proof.
SteveIcon...18-01-2013 @ 16:52 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Tom_Martin said:Anyway I still don't think he did it, there's no proof.

Exactly - he never tested positive so he should be allowed to keep all his TdF titles
unit94Icon...18-01-2013 @ 16:57 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Steve said:
Exactly - he never tested positive so he should be allowed to keep all his TdF titles

Haha well he's admitted it now so he shouldn't keep his titles at all

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitLance & Oprah
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions