Who's Online - 1 member and 199 guests

Drug Tested Strongman Comp 9th August Cheshunt

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

thosebananasIcon...12-08-2009 @ 11:52 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
I agree with matt. So what if it wasnt heavy? isnt strongman a combination of strength/speed/endurance etc etc so everyone has events that suit their strengths.

Fair enough some the events were more endurance based (deadlift), but it was the same for everyone and the best men won on the day.
thosebananasIcon...12-08-2009 @ 11:52 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Pint said:
Hmmmm...Some thoughts

I dont know I agree that this didnt draw 'the best' natural lifters. We all knew it was light and it turned from a battle of pure strength, into a battle of stamina and consistency. Everyone was welcome to enter and even with the light - 180kg deadlift- I dont know how many of you guys could pull over 20 reps on an axle after already completing three events!!

We all did this to promote the natural strongman movement.

If we had stronger guys then the log would have gone up to 120-130 rather than 105-110. The principal is that it would be what you make it.

I know that I wouldnt keep up with lads like Wayne and Munya on some of the events - but I wouldnt let them walk over me either... The harder the other people try - the harder you try yourself.

I dont like the insinuation that this was 'beneath' anyone when some of the lads who were there (Scott, Ben, Jack) were clearly so awesome that they would place highly regardless of who else had entered.

I hope that this runs again next year and I for one will be proud to do my best again then, regardless of who else enters.

So dont knock it lads - get behind it....It'll be better and heavier next time and we will all be a year stronger, fitter and more experienced!!!

cheers for the awesome comment. lol.. defo dont deserve that. Next year thou... Wink
PintIcon...12-08-2009 @ 12:06 
Member 424, 532 posts
SQ 190, BP 145, DL 220
555.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
too modest mate- if those reps hadnt been disallowed on the deadlift, and if you didnt let your youthful exuberance get you carried away on the log, you would have taken a medal at least!!!

Now stop writing on here and send out those DVD's!!Grin
ThingIcon...12-08-2009 @ 12:18 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 12.08.2009 @ 12:18 PM by Thing
Pete said:
JC said:
Just as an aside, I think if you want the BEST drug free lifters in the country there next year, it has to be a lot heavier

Firstly, as Jamie said, it started as a comp between members of a natural BB website and then gained more momentum that expected.

Secondly, I would make it heavier too but as Glen has said he's planning changes for next year anyway.

Thirdly, just as non tested strongman shows don't necessarily attract the best non tested powerlifters, next year's tested strongman show won't necessarily attract lots of tested powerlifters. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I believe some qualifiers are planned for next year so they may stay fairly light with a bit of a heavier final.

What weights would you like to see JC? Or anyone else for that matter.

if i were fit i would of loved to have done this comp but it was to light.
if its for open drug free guys like myself then
deadlift of some form around the 280 mark
log for reps around the 120 130 mark
farmers around the 130 to 155 mark
yoke 350 to 400 mark
stones up to 160
JCIcon...12-08-2009 @ 12:34 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Pint - without being arsey, I know for a FACT it did not attract the best drug free lifters

With all due respect to those who competed, Phil Boyham and Johnny Mills would have run away with that - if not it would only have been as it was too light and about conditioning, rather than strenght

When I said it was too light, it was because of people like Neil. It was an open weigh category. A 180 DL is far too light for a 120KG+ man drug free or not

As some have said, something along the lines of u105 weight would be essentail is they are going to keep this an open weight comp

Just my opinion. Dont all get arsey with me, cuase I cant do it, so couldn't care less really lol Wink
thosebananasIcon...12-08-2009 @ 13:36 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Pint said:
too modest mate- if those reps hadnt been disallowed on the deadlift, and if you didnt let your youthful exuberance get you carried away on the log, you would have taken a medal at least!!!

Now stop writing on here and send out those DVD's!!Grin

DVDs were all sent out last night... should be with you tomorrow or friday at the absolute latest.

Im putting that dealift behind me, still raging about it thou. And i dont regret the log. I didnt come down from Glasgow to play it safe... All for the glory. If it had of went up, it would have been a whole different story.
glen_danburyIcon...12-08-2009 @ 16:24 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
yes some of the events where on the safe/light side so it did become somewhat muscular endurance - the reason being as an inaugral event our intention was to allow as many people as possible to enter rather than only a handfull of the elite

next year there will be an under 100kg and over 100kg and the second class will have alot heavier implements
PintIcon...12-08-2009 @ 16:31 
Member 424, 532 posts
SQ 190, BP 145, DL 220
555.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
LOL.

Not being Arsey JC.Happy

Just feeling proud of the achievement and a bit protectiveWink . I read Neils log on SDF every week, and have been admiring Neils work since I started strongman and often comment suppoort on his training log. I am always a bit in awe of naturals who can do such awesome stuff.

My training partner is Munya Chigwada (Natural Open Competitor) - I watched him beat Paul 'cuddles' carter in the tire flip (500+kg Eek Eek ) in the Kents strongest man open a few weeks ago....I am astounded by the incredible feats of the better natural strongmen.

I hope that they all get involved in this movement to promote natural strongman. They are an inspiration to people like me who are just starting out. But, whatever the weights, the invitation to battle was open and the lads who stepped up were fantastic and I have nothing but respect for them and the effort that they showed.

Next year we might have some classes and qualifiers. I dont know that I will be giving guys like Neil a run for their money on a 400kg yoke or a 280 deadlift for reps...but I know that I would always give it 100% even if I dont get a single rep---there is no shame losing to athletes of that standard....but there is tremendous pride in standing up next to them and doing your best.

Its ok to lose against a better natural. It is harder to accept being beaten by someone who has the edge through steroids.
PeteIconTo Pint(Matt) and JC12-08-2009 @ 20:15 
has spent time in a modern educational setting
Member 47, 1221 posts
Post Edited: 12.08.2009 @ 20:17 PM by Pete
I don't normally get in the middle of web based arguments but here we go anyway. I'm going to sit on the fence anyway so I hope I don't get too many splinters in my arse. I genuinely agree with some of Matt's points and some of JC's points. I've competed against both of you and (in the nicest possible way) you're both stubborn and competitive blokes. You're both nice guys too. Wink

I agree that Phil and Jonny would have stood an excellent chance of winning but, at the same time, over the five events, the guy that won (Jack) would not have been a pushover. To put it into context, without disrespecting Ben, Jack won pretty comfortably(before the last event - I think) and Ben is no "easybeat" - 290kg DL etc.

There were other strong guys there too. Phil Learney, for example, deadlifts 277.5kg. I presume that there were also others with deadlifts in the high 200s.

Without disrespecting anyone there, the comp was probably missing some of the bigger natural log pressers but Will obviously had to withdraw for personal reasons.

As had been discussed, this comp wouldn't have suited some of the huge natural guys like Neil because he would have found it too light to play to his strengths. At the same time, as everyone knows, it was the first year of the comp and there has to be some starting point.

I'm sure that it will be heavier next year. At a guess, it will still probably be a bit light for Neil's tastes but Rome wasn't built in a day. It'll probably take a few years to build to the point where all of the absolutely beastly natural guys are happy.

I've got plenty more to say but you're probably all asleep by now.
Happy
MarkCleggIcon...12-08-2009 @ 20:28 
knock knock !! who's there ?? OLD SCHOOL SUGDEN
Member 212, 11439 posts
SQ 325, BP 212.5, DL 370
907.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Don`t fall out you b**ches - spread the love .
nathanIcon...12-08-2009 @ 20:44 
no longer sugdens strongest man
Member 455, 1336 posts
dont see why people are arguing.

we allo love strongman we all want to promote this underground sport weather natural, steroid freaks,/woman/ under 90kg/105kg/opens/gays/pensioners we need this sport to be a lot bigger in this country than it is

fair play for the comp it seemed good glen did mention he learnt a lot more for next years comp well done mate for putting it on.
maybe there are some stronger natural blokes but guess what they werent there so the winner deserves his win.

strongman needs people like glen and the competitiors to get this sport known.
thosebananasIcon...12-08-2009 @ 20:48 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
nathan said:
dont see why people are arguing.

we allo love strongman we all want to promote this underground sport weather natural, steroid freaks,/woman/ under 90kg/105kg/opens/gays/pensioners we need this sport to be a lot bigger in this country than it is

fair play for the comp it seemed good glen did mention he learnt a lot more for next years comp well done mate for putting it on.
maybe there are some stronger natural blokes but guess what they werent there so the winner deserves his win.

strongman needs people like glen and the competitiors to get this sport known.

x2
WILLSANIcon...12-08-2009 @ 22:08 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
cant see anything unhealthy about a bit of discussion on the future of the sport TBH. hopefully natural sm can take off like the 105s has done over the past couple of seasons.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...12-08-2009 @ 22:12 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22053 posts
glen_danbury said:
next year there will be an under 100kg and over 100kg and the second class will have alot heavier implements

The lighter class should have HEAVY events too!

I must admit I was put off by the lightish weights in this comp, but I intend to compete next year. I like comps to be challenging! This sport is meant to be tough!
thosebananasIcon...12-08-2009 @ 22:57 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
glen_danbury said:

The lighter class should have HEAVY events too!

I must admit I was put off by the lightish weights in this comp, but I intend to compete next year. I like comps to be challenging! This sport is meant to be tough!

Whats tougher... a 1rm Dead... or a set of 20?

Hard to pick imo..

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions