Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

slimsimIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:20 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
martinb said:
surely this proves drugs DON'T work
if he was taking all that, and is now clean and running the same(ish) times, then drugs CAN'T work!

That's presuming he is now off........
martinbIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:21 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
martinb said:
if he was taking all that, and is now clean and running the same(ish) times, then drugs CAN'T work!

That's presuming he is now off........

bloody internet not conveying the irony I wanted it to
SteveIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:35 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
martinb said:

This is sort of what I was getting at.

Fedosienko for example was banned for to years and returned to win overall best lifter with a new world record at his first worlds back. Can this be possible if drugs work and he is not still taking?
martinbIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:42 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Fedosienko for example was banned for to years and returned to win overall best lifter with a new world record at his first worlds back. Can this be possible if drugs work and he is not still taking?

Ok, lets not beat around the bush, every world clash weightlifter is on, and everybody that gets a gold at a proper event at the Olypics will be on (actually, probably just gets to a final)

Thats my opinion
Tom_MartinIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:46 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Steve said:

I think you're giving drugs in a tested sport more credit than they are due.

For an untested lifter, drugs are no doubt a wonderful thing. He will definitely lift better WHILE ON THEM. Noticeably better.

For a tested lifter, they may be more of a curse than a blessing. While taking exogenous testosterone, endogenous levels of testosterone are repressed......like, 100% repressed. Homeostasis at it's absolute worst!

Inevitably the drug tester lifter will have to stop taking the drugs and give himself enough time to let them clear his system before he can compete depending on how willing he is to take a chance on not getting tested. When he comes off, there will be a period of time before his endogenous testosterone levels return to normal, during this time he will lose a lot of the strength gained while taking the drugs. The only hope they have is that just maybe once everything settles down again, due to the increased loads during training while on drugs, they might be better off at the end of it than they would have been if they hadn't used drugs. It's in my opinion, a minor competetive edge for an athlete who has to get clean before he competes. It is a massive competetive necessity to a lifter who doesn't have to take a test.
SteveIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:46 
Member 255, 3732 posts
martinb said:
Ok, lets not beat around the bush, every world clash weightlifter is on, and everybody that gets a gold at a proper event at the Olypics will be on (actually, probably just gets to a final)
Thats my opinion

Possibly not true for women's weightlifting assuming world class is something like getting into the a group
SteveIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:54 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Tom_Martin said:
For an untested lifter, drugs are no doubt a wonderful thing. He will definitely lift better WHILE ON THEM. Noticeably better.
For a tested lifter, they may be more of a curse than a blessing. While taking exogenous testosterone, endogenous levels of testosterone are repressed......like, 100% repressed. Homeostasis at it's absolute worst!
Inevitably the drug tester lifter will have to stop taking the drugs and give himself enough time to let them clear his system before he can compete depending on how willing he is to take a chance on not getting tested. When he comes off, there will be a period of time before his endogenous testosterone levels return to normal, during this time he will lose a lot of the strength gained while taking the drugs. The only hope they have is that just maybe once everything settles down again, due to the increased loads during training while on drugs, they might be better off at the end of it than they would have been if they hadn't used drugs. It's in my opinion, a minor competetive edge for an athlete who has to get clean before he competes. It is a massive competetive necessity to a lifter who doesn't have to take a test.

I don't know what goes on these days, but in the past athletes would come off injectables moving to orals, testosterone & HCG as they approach the competition to help upregulate their own hormones and avoid any sort of crash.

Look at the weightlifting results from 25 years ago and you will see how little drop off lifters were experiencing from having to come off drugs for competition. It's only when genuine OCT was introduced that a real difference was seen.
martinbIcon...25-04-2012 @ 10:56 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:

If it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't do it

so you saw that list of stuff Chambers had to do, why did he do it for such a minor advantage?

a minor advantage at the TOP level is surely a MAJOR advantage (if you catch my drift)

they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it
CuddlesIcon...25-04-2012 @ 11:01 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
martinb said:
that is a huge difference actually, but was he consistently faster? wasn't the 9.87 a bit of an anomaly, as in, he was running 9.90 every other week?

The 9.87 was an anomoly yes, but so was the 9.99. Most of the times that Chambers have set since coming back have been between 10-10.2 including in fairly big Championships.

To put that into perspective, an ex student of mine ran 10.22 last year, aged 18 and I would be gobsmacked if he is on the sauce.
Tom_MartinIcon...25-04-2012 @ 11:05 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
martinb said:
If it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't do it
so you saw that list of stuff Chambers had to do, why did he do it for such a minor advantage?
a minor advantage at the TOP level is surely a MAJOR advantage (if you catch my drift)
they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it

Oh absolutely!!!! Definitely agree however....

My point was in reply to Steves comments about them appearing to not work due to banned lifters coming back and doing even better. It's because the performances you see are most likely after the athlete has stopped taking the drugs in order to pass a test, so when you compare the lifter when he is clean in later years, to these only just clean performances in the past, it's not a million miles away, especially given the extra years he has had to train since then.

Comparing to his training lifts while he was on however, might tell a different story....
ThingIcon...25-04-2012 @ 11:05 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
so are we all saying that the thread title is correct then?
martinbIcon...25-04-2012 @ 11:09 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
Oh absolutely!!!! Definitely agree however....
My point was in reply to Steves comments about them appearing to not work due to banned lifters coming back and doing even better. It's because the performances you see are most likely after the athlete has stopped taking the drugs in order to pass a test, so when you compare the lifter when he is clean in later years, to these only just clean performances in the past, it's not a million miles away, especially given the extra years he has had to train since then.
Comparing to his training lifts while he was on however, might tell a different story....

oh right, I get you

and Youtube is littered with videos of guys doing WR record weight for doubles and other such mental stuff
slimsimIcon...25-04-2012 @ 11:19 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
The 9.87 was an anomoly yes, but so was the 9.99. Most of the times that Chambers have set since coming back have been between 10-10.2 including in fairly big Championships.
To put that into perspective, an ex student of mine ran 10.22 last year, aged 18 and I would be gobsmacked if he is on the sauce.

Playing devils advocate here.......knowing what you know about the prevalence of drugs in most strength based sports why would it surprise you so much when he is running so fast? Is it just because you don't want to think of him being on due to his age, his general nature, upbringing etc etc

Personally, thinking of young athletes who've not even finished growing taking exogenous hormones doesn't sit very well with me and this is the reason why an untested Olympics would never happen.
SteveIcon...25-04-2012 @ 11:34 
Member 255, 3732 posts
martinb said:
Thats my opinion

How many Olympic medalists at the strength, power and endurance events will be drug free?
steve32Icon...25-04-2012 @ 11:43 
Stalker
Member 3571, 155 posts
SQ 190, BP 110, DL 220
520.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
drug free and proud

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions