REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 127 guests
You are here: HomeForumBrenWad → View All Posts

View All Posts: BrenWad

12345678910 ... ... 4243444546474849505152

» Age is just a number in the strength/body game.... (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 18:29 
Mark Felix, almost 50. Kevin Levrone coming back at 52 to compete in the Mr Olympia, and looking huge and in great shape. Good examples to show people that the game ain't over just because you are greying and grumpy.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 16:17 
MJG said:
My point was that we have all written Eddie off before and he has proven as all wrong before.

I take your point, and people did indeed write him off. The thing is, 500kgs looked possible for Hall in the medium to long term, given how rapidly he'd progressed in that event. Getting his BW up to pull 500kgs was always going to be detrimental to winning the WSM competition-the two things are exclusive accomplishments, without a drect correlation, and indeed it can be argued he moved further away from winning WSM by building himself to pull 500kgs. He was plenty strong enough to win WSM two years ago, but chose to push on for the 500kgs. If he'd have focused on mastering the events for a WSM push then he'd have a real shout.

Elite sports comps are vert specific. Mariusz won WSM for years, never won Arnold. Ed pulls 500kgs like its almost a warm up, but is light years from being able to win the WSM. This is why Shaw and Z have to be considered a league apart as strength athletes in winning both WSM and the Arnold. They are absolute freaks though.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 16:06 
AdamT said:
He should move to powerlifting lol

He would dominate powerlifting rapidly. Imagine of he focused on benching for a year?!! 300-320. Raw Squat to depth, rather than the half squats and zercher/dad assisted squats, 440. Raw dead, 450. Thing is, powerlifting makes strongman look like WWE in terms of popularity and coverage. Hall will be remembered for his amazing deadlifts, and hopefully a new Log WR when his triceps are up to it.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 15:57 
MJG said:
I think it's unlikely but I also didn't think he would lift 500kg.

There is just no direct relation between being the strongest man in the world at static lifting, and being the WSM. Kaz lost to the Viking, despite being much stronger. Mariusz beat people way stronger. If deadlift prowess were the denominator of WSM potential, then Benni and Bolton would have multiple WSMs, rather than being very average in their strongman performances. Hall will never be the WSM, but is without a doubt the strongest man in the world.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 15:50 
MJG said:
So which events do you have Loz beating Eddie on then? Frame and......
A fit Eddie won't finish behind Loz in this final with those events.

You are assuming Ed is still in the contest after Deadlift.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 12:49 
93hopkinsonr said:
Surely the multi day comp will make it easier for him. You talk as though you don't think he's going to do well. Where do you think he will place?

I think Hall will finish 4th or 5th. Hall is the strongest man on earth, if we take that to be an agglomeration of deads, benching, overhead, random gym stuff-unbeatable all round at this stuff. He is not, and nor do I ever think will be the WSM winner, as he struggles with many of the moving events in comparison to Thor, Terry, Loz, Shaw.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 11:02 
93hopkinsonr said:
And you know this how?
His body wasn't designed to lift 500kg. Yet he got it in the shape to do so. I believe he is in shape to do these events. Whether he beats Shaw and Thor remains to be seen but it wouldn't surprise me if he did

Ed's events videos have not been impressive at all. Not in same class as Terry Hollands. People get so caught up in the fanboy element of the sport, they forget Ed lost a heavy deadlift for reps event last year, and also how grueling a multi day event will be for a man so overweight.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 11:00 
Benvie said:
Why is ed having to pull a huge deadlift to win so laughable? Both pritchett and Shaw have shown signs of being up around the 460-480kg mark on deadlift with a few others not too far behind. I don't know about you but I'm calling anything over 460 huge at the end of a week long comp in hot conditions.
I also think caron will be a surprise on deadlift. He doesn't do the same big shows as the rest or have any real social media presence. However there are videos out there of him pulling some pretty massive numbers very comfortably. I dont think he's quite in the same league as Hall, Shaw and pritchett but he could well be the best of the rest and not too far behind them.

Exactly my point, better made. Training to pull 500kgs is a lot different than training to win WSM, hence why we see Ed outclassed by better strongmen in WSM year after year, people who are statically nowhere near his level-Loz, Terry, Thor. Add in Shaw-who is in Eds league in deadlift and awkward overhead lifts-we see the gulf. If Caron were more of a social media whore, and competed in the bigger shows, then ppl would be a lot more aware of what a phenomenal puller he is, especially given his size and shape.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)28-07-2016 @ 10:06 
KevC86 said:
Yeah, because now that you mention it Hall has pulled out of every WSM contest he has entered.....oh wait, no, he has finished every one.
I will bet a mars bar Hall beats Shaw on the barbell press.

I don't have pockets deep enough to match that bet. Hall has never competed in WSM this heavy, and considering he'll have to pull something huge to beat Shaw, Pritchett and Caron in Max Deadlift, then I predict a retirement. His body is not designed to win WSM, nor has he honed it to be in WSM winning shape. He's a static monster, but one who has not performed well in OHP for a year. He may well surprise people and be close to Shaw, but going on his form in events that have a max deadlift, it does not bode well.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)27-07-2016 @ 17:48 
Benvie said:
I think pritchett could mess things up a bit for Hall. Deadlift is his best hope of picking up really big points so pritchett will presumably go all out. Depends whether ed is determined to beat him I guess, I'm sure he could but is it worth it for one extra point or half point.

Pritchett is really only a one trick pony at the elite level. He under performs.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)27-07-2016 @ 17:46 
LegendHowes said:Is z definitely not in it because hes been posting alot of training vids lately

I thunk he's only doing bodybuilding training, rather than any really heavy or event stuff. He's looking huge and lean.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)27-07-2016 @ 14:11 
Gordy said:I think the deadlift could be quite strategic, I don’t believe anyone will match Hall regardless of jumps. If you can’t beat Hall the next best thing is to try and force him to lift something that might leave him compromised for at least the next event, without compromising yourself.
If it comes down to Shaw vs Hall after say 460 and they both say they have 480kg in them, I can see Shaw letting Eddie lift something big (480 in this example) and not even attempt the weight himself, he’s probably already resigned to taking second place, why risk injury trying to beat Hall at deadlift? That would all depend on the jumps and if Pritchetts there that makes things even more interesting.

Spot on. Why would Shaw feel the need to beat Hall in the only event Hall will likely win. Shaw will win most of the events-including the barbell press event. Hall will spunk some huge deadlift and then collapse and retire from event,,again!
» i need to choose a strength sport (Go to post)27-07-2016 @ 12:27 
slimsim said:It can be difficult to learn the oly lifts to a good standard without a decent coach and regular ongoing coaching. Is this something which is available to you?

If not, you might find you make decent progress at first but start stalling after a while due to lack of programming and error control.

Oly lifting is soo hard to become even semi proficient at, and is more akin to sport skill training than strength training in the beginner phase. Good old basic power-bodybuilding will create a bigger and less injury prone foundation than poorly learned olympic lifts imho.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)27-07-2016 @ 12:21 
Mikeneto said:I reckon Shaw will be joint first on deadlift with Eddie depending on the jumps.

Shaw won't be that far behind in points on barbell...the final will have Terry, Loz, Caron etc and they won't beat Shaw on barbell press. Shaw has done about 6 reps with a 175kg log at the Arnold's, he is better with an axle/barbell...so reps suit him on overhead.

Shaw will win plane pull...he has dominated the event for like the last 3 years. If the kegs are heavier than previous years then Shaw will win that, but top 2 regardless. He should win stones as well if they have them heavy like last year, if they're heavier then even more so.

Great events for Shaw.

he will walk the heats.

This. Not my favourite person, but just a complete professional.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)27-07-2016 @ 09:52 
MJG said:
Hall can win but to do it he needs to finish in the top 4 in kettlebell toss, which I think he will. Honestly in the current field Shaw, Thor and Arsjo will probably beat him but I don't see anyone else in the field as good as Eddie at that event.
I also think people are underestimating him on Frame. He can't beat Loz but remember that neither Shaw or Thor are that great at it either. If Pritchet makes the final him and Loz will be 1 and 2 on Frame but Eddie could be 3rd.
If he can put a couple of places between himself and Thor on deadlift and Shaw on overhead he can win.
I think he is way close to Thor and Shaw than the chasing pack are to him. I struggle to see anyone beating him on more than one event in the final except the big 2.
So I agree with your final assessment but I think Caron will be up there with Arsjo and Loz. Lalas too if fit.

Assuming he can finish the event. 30stone on a small frame in Botswana, in summer, does not sound a great combo. I know Shaw etc are heavier, but they are also meant to be giants,rather than being massively beyond their natural size

12345678910 ... ... 4243444546474849505152

You are here: HomeForumBrenWad → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions