REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 3 members and 71 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumBrenWad → View All Posts

View All Posts: BrenWad

12345678910 ... ... 4243444546474849505152

» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 17:26 
Post Edited: 17.08.2016 @ 17:41 PM by BrenWad
hifilover said:
It was more the Worlds Strongest/Fittest Man IMO
Still great to watch, much faster events etc...
But, it split again and a lot of decent lifters went across to IFSA where Z, Koklyaev, Virastyuk et al took charge; Pudz wouldn;t have stood a chance in that fed, IMO!
There's a lot of WSM and IFSA comps on Youtube, this dude has a lot of it: https://www.youtube.com/user/HITstrongman
In sort of an agreement re Eddie Hall as well; IMO he doesn't carry his weight anywhere near as well as Z and gasses hell of a lot quicker too, I think Z took a much longer time to get to the biggest he got, Hall did it very quickly and that must tax your body/system soon enough!
I think what he's achieved is bloody mind-boggling and he's literally Superman strength; just don't want another Mike Jenkins on the books!

Unparalleled effort, plus unparalleled term and insulin abuse have made Hall a living legend. That 500kg lift is the most mind boggling event to ever happen in strength sports.

He could easily retire from strongman and have a great life in promotions, coaching, gym ownership. Sadly for him he'll never win the WSM.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 16:43 
MJG said:
That being said I really enjoyed WSM between 94-04 before the split. It was pretty light during periods of that. Especially 99-02.

I loved WSM then also. Really light by todays standards, but I think still a real challenging event. I bloody wish Ahola had stayed in the sport as a competitor and challenged Pudz.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 16:21 
Mikeneto said:I also don't get the comments about Ed not carrying it as well as Z? I think he carries it better. More mass around shoulders, chest and back for Ed and less fat on the belly.

In the face I agree Z looks healthier.

Ed to me looks to be similar shape and bodyfat to Shaw and Z at the Arnold's...which considering their domination of the sport over the last 7-8 yrs is probably optimal.

http://static3.sportas.lt/usi/662x442/3/7b/55/5d/7b555dc276896...

Hall looks like a big fat man, really unhealthy. Z looks like a giant farmer, really healthy with muscle separation in arms, delta, legs. Hall hasn't had separation for 40kgs.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 16:19 
drex50 said:makes me wonder how sick we are

enjoying watching some people fight for WSM title while risking their health seriously

people like to see monsters

The organisers could change this with lighter/more athletic events, but nobody wants strongman to become crossfit for ugly ppl. It's a real catch-22
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 16:16 
drex50 said:
Perry died a few years later. He was the heaviest competitor aside Glen Ross at that time.

Perry had some real issues as I recall, including a love of synthol in his arms.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 15:31 
AdamT said:
I'm not even joking, when does it stop?? He doesn't carry it as well as Z and they're similar heights.

Hate to say it, but Hall is flirting like mad with a stroke and massive heart attack.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 15:30 
AdamT said:
Yeah he will collapse or pull out injured after scraping by "King Shaw" on deadlift
Happy

Very likely.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 15:27 
MJG said:
But surely it must take the enjoyment out of the rest of the contest for you if a contender gets injured? Is it worth it?
The coolest set up I remember was in the 01 final with that big jeep thing.

It does take away when an athlete gets injured, if course, but I'd prefer that rather than make it anodyne.

The jeep thing where Perry smashed loads of reps and Pudz bombed after a few? Loved that event. Karlsen bossed it also.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 08:39 
MJG said:
Could have been both?
It seems to claim a lot more muscles than a normal set up would. It stands to reason that anything that throw's you off balance like that is going to increase the risk of injury.

All strongman events have an increased risk of injury compared to gym lift events-it's the nature of the beast is it not. I like seeing heavy and awkward squats in WSM as it separates the truly strong from those who are one or two trick ponies. Look at hpw Hall and Z have smashed that squat set up for unbelievable numbers of reps in the past. Look how others have f**ked it right up.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 08:35 
Carl said:
People being gutted for terry, who has led British strongman for over a decade, doesn't take anything away from the other guy.
Terry puts loads back into the sport from refereeing to taking time out at sponsorship appearances to chat to fans, to replying to people on here and facebook. We are very lucky as strongman fans in the UK to have such a top bunch of strongmen leading the way.
It could have been Jesus Christ himself that took his place and people would still be gutted for him. An absolutely top bloke!

Well saidHappy
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)17-08-2016 @ 08:31 
billynomates said:
Loz was injured on that set up before, and he's a supreme squatter. It does look cool and strongman should be tough but not injury inducing!

Loz was not injured by the set up though was he. He was injured showboating when he had already done enough to win his heat.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)16-08-2016 @ 17:59 
dannyboy73 said:Ive been thinking this for the past two days.
Loz could even get a silver. He beat Thor already this year at Europs. Hell, he could get the win...why not. as long as he remains uninjured.

There isn't a harder worker,or a nicer bloke in strongman imo. Fingers crossed for Loz.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)16-08-2016 @ 17:57 
umpalumpalifter said:
Was it as bad when they used to do the barrel loading squat?

Athletes were better squatters ten yrs ago before this obsession with the deadlift took hold.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)16-08-2016 @ 17:43 
Ramsay777 said:
Thank you.
It's a stupid set-up, and that's the first time I can recall someone agreeing with it. There's been far too many people injured on that over the years. Even if you are well practiced squatting to blocks/bars in the gym, you're still gonna have a hard time hitting both at the same time - especially when people are fatiguing going balls-out trying to get as many reps as possible.
In my opinion, a Monolift + chains + judge depth would be a far safer way to do it. Glad to see them get rid of that awful "Thor's Hammers" event though.

Yeah, let's use a squat machine and have the athletes rest for two weeks between events. Its brutally hard and looks cool-just how WSM should be.
» WSM 2016? (Go to post)16-08-2016 @ 17:41 
billynomates said:What are you on about? Of course the set up is a factor, you think hitting one of those stands with 320kg on your back and being knocked off balance isn't an injury risk?

The whole sport of strongman is one huge injury risk! Change your tampon and talk sense. The great squatters don't struggle,just the ones who fail to prepare. In your universe the WSM would resemble some terrible powerlifting comp.

12345678910 ... ... 4243444546474849505152

You are here: HomeForumBrenWad → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto