Wales strongest man 2012
Member 548, 1197 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 360
855.0 kgs @ 128kgs Eq
Well done to ant griffiths and Andy goswell you done Wales proud boys
craigmancIcon...23-07-2012 @ 07:00 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
Well done yesterday Ben and good luck competiting in France today!!

The man is a machine, I think many will agree
George_WinstonIcon...23-07-2012 @ 09:45 
The Crossfit KingPin
Member 941, 1810 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 285
645.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
My body still hurts...
PAGANIcon...23-07-2012 @ 10:12 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
DanCave said:cracking day yet again, the power stairs where quality really enjoyed them, was a high standard today, and alot closer than i thought it would be, there must of been 4 of us in it for third on the stones! pagan you will be glad to know that some of my prize money has just purchased me a lovely pint of stella!!! let the weight gain begin!!

You certainly earned it mate!
JCIcon...23-07-2012 @ 10:28 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Some amazing performances yesterday, with a few standouts for me being:-

-Kelsey throughout...just doesnt have a weak event this guy. 105s are going to have to up there game massively next season if he isnt to absolute dominate again

-Goswell, Ben & Seb on the squat...Seb has improved beyond recognition from his squats at ESM last year

-Sebs & Bens duel on the deadlift..extremley entertaining

-Damos lightning fast powerstairs

Big congrats to last minute entries Damo & pollock who performed superbly with very little training of the events

105s looks like its just going to get better and better in the coming few years
Ben_FIcon...23-07-2012 @ 11:46 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Many thanks for the kind comments guys. I have to say that for this event that I had more help than ever, on the day everyone who turned in to help… Sanderson Scoring, loaders, refs, etc – everyone! Was great to have hands on deck right to the end too.

This year also in the lead up to the comp’ the support was fantastic… as ever from THE MAN that is Mark Clegg, Gaz and the SG/VikingR crew but also with guys like Damo putting back into the sport with both time, effort and money, Pete with his graphic skillz, Goz for getting his sponsors on board and all the people that did things to make it a success before a weight was lifted… apologies if I have missed anyone but big thanks to everyone.

Then there are the sponsors without whom there would have been no stairs, prize money or prizes! So thanks again to them for the support and making it a good day for the athletes.

All athletes received:

VikingR comp shirt, Hardcore Gym t-shirt, Aloe Vera goody bag, energy drinks on the day from Hardcore Gym.

3rd Place: £100, Platinum Anabolic Pro-1 & shaker, big atlas trophy
2nd Place: £150, Platinum Anabolic Pro-1 & shaker, slightly bigger atlas trophy
1st Place: £250, Platinum Anabolic Pro-1 & shaker, massive atlas trophy, 1 week holiday to Spain or Portugal

BONUS EVENT: Hardcore Dumbbell Challenge - £100

Think that’s it but probably have missed something or someone as so many people helped, so thanks again to all as despite being crazy busy all day I was able to enjoy it because of the people around me.

The Athletes:

12th: Stuart Yule 13.5pts

I was surprised that Stuart finished a few points adrift at the bottom of the table to be honest as he was never that far away on any event but it shows there was great strength in depth that he finished last.

11th: John Rudgard 21pts

John didn’t seem to be firing on all cylinders today, I don’t know if he is carrying an injury, we know he is a great athlete but today was not his today.

10th: John Pollock 21pts

John is new to the game and came in as a very late reserve and did himself proud. Competed with a smile on his face and seemed to really enjoy the experience. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a full year of event training under his belt.

9th: Mark Robertson 23.5

Solid performance from Mark, his log placing hurt him but it was a highlight when he blitzed the deadlift! Great support too, his crew added to the atmosphere of the comp.

8th: Andy Goswell 41

Big jump in points here as six guys were really closely matched. Andy was going well and was making mincemeat of the deadlift when his training partner called “one more rep” when there was actually two left, so Andy took his hands of the bar before the refs could tell him there was another to do, so he had to re-wrap and make the final lift. This cost Andy time and points on his banker event and though it didn’t knock him out of the running for third place it certainly cost him as the margins for error were so narrow in this group.

7th: Damian Turner 41

Damo came in late as a reserve but he had been training as much as his injured elbow would allow just in case. You wouldn’t have known as he was challenging for the podium after two events and by the narrowest of margins managed to prevent Ben form making a clean sweep of events by winning the Power Stairs.

6th: Daz Clarke 42

Daz was going really well right up to the squat event when disaster struck. Unfortunately Daz made two squat attempts that were a good few inches too high before sinking one in that he couldn’t get out of. Zero points on any event at this level is going to hurt you badly but hopefully a lesson learned for future comps.

5th: George Winston 43

George got off to a flyer on the log lift medley placing second and performed consistently well enough to go into the stones in 3rd place. Unfortunately he dropped a few places form finishing 8th on stones as, again it was so tight between six guys. George has a great all-round game and if he can improve on stones will always be contending for the top spots.

4th: Anthony Griffiths 46

Ant had to be one of the most consistent guys on the day and his final placing reflected this, no weak events and a strong finish on stones won him 4th place on the day and I feel there will be more to come as he was tantalisingly close to the podium.

3rd: Daniel Cave 46

Dan got his weakest event out of the way first and knew he would be able to climb up the table from that point, which is exactly what he did culminating in a 3rd place finish on the stones to give a count-back win over Ant to make the podium. This shows how hard Dan has worked since the Northern qualifier where he dropped from 3rd to 7th on the stones as he had never attempted to lift one before then! Because Dan looks athletic I think people underestimate his static strength, well until yesterday anyway! Northerns to Englands to 3rd in Britain in your first year… not bad going is it?

2nd: Sebastian Iwaniak 58

Going into the first event Seb knew this would be his last outing as an under 105kg competitor and he wanted to go out with a bang. He set out well placing 4th in what used to be his weakest event – the log press. Showing no weaknesses throughout Seb then hit a superb 7 reps in the squat and showed how much he has come on since last years ESM final. With this event put to bed he moved onto his two banker events – the deadlift and stones looking locked into 2nd position. As expected he did the business with two second places and made sure he finished with clear daylight between himself and the chasing pack. A great finish to his time in the 105s, our loss is the Opens gain as it has to said “Everyone loves Seb!”.

1st: Ben Kelsey 71

Well, where do the superlatives begin? Outstanding, incredible, and undoubtedly STRONG! The list could go on. Ben started with a win on the log. This, to be fair, was expected… it was after this that I think people thought they might be able to chip away at Ben’s considerable armour and start stealing some points back. Damo made the slightest on dints by edging Ben out by 100th of a second on the Power Stairs, Ben didn’t look too happy and he made sure there was no room for examining the stopwatches from this point forward. The Farmers to Drag was comfortably won, the squat target of 13 to win the event was achieved with more in the tank, the deadlift was flown through with ease and then to cap off the win Ben became the first man to complete the five stones with a run-in. His performance can’t be faulted and there can be no dispute that he his truly is Britain’s Strongest Man u105kg. Oh, and just for good measure he won the Hardcore Dumbbell Challenge before heading home for 2 hours rest before flying off to France to compete again!

Lets hope United Strongmen can make the Worlds happen this year or next as ladies and gentlemen – we have a contender!
hixxy1985Icon...23-07-2012 @ 12:07 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9594 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
There is a possability of worlds U105 in norway run by Sven Karslen. Im unsure if this is linked to united strongman?

Ben - as competition organiser can you message Sven on facebook? I have not done so as I dont think it should be me as I didnt organise the fantastic competition we witnessed yesterday.
PeteHodgsonIcon...23-07-2012 @ 12:12 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 23.07.2012 @ 12:12 PM by PeteHodgson
Wow, 3rd to 8th was TIGHT! Great write up Ben!

Worlds run by Sven would be awesome I reckon.
Ben_FIcon...23-07-2012 @ 12:22 
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said:There is a possability of worlds U105 in norway run by Sven Karslen. Im unsure if this is linked to united strongman?

Ben - as competition organiser can you message Sven on facebook? I have not done so as I dont think it should be me as I didnt organise the fantastic competition we witnessed yesterday.

Cheers, I will do. I will contact Jyrki first though.
craigmancIcon...23-07-2012 @ 13:43 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
Just seen John Rudgards photo on Facebook!!

Best action strongman shot in years I think many would agree
LeggiezIcon...23-07-2012 @ 14:57 
Has a long back.
Member 2322, 2464 posts
SQ 260, BP 175, DL 312.5
747.5 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
I had an amazing weekend down @ Morecambe/Lancaster. It was a huge learning experience up against the top guys in the country , every time i did something well the English and Welsh guys just came out and did it faster !! A top ten finish was my aim after the scottish , and i got 9th so i cant be too dissapointed. I won the mini battle to finish top of the 3 Scots , that was quite pleasing.Ben Kelsey was a worthy winner , absolute beast in every event and really is going to be hard to beat in the coming years for anyone on that sort of form.

A huge thanks to Ben for running a cracking comp , Graham and JC for their work reffing and all the other loaders and helpers who made the comp run as smoothly as it did , it really was a cracking comp.

highlights of the day for me was John Rudgard managing to get 5 pulls even though he was losing lentil soup out of his nostrils and mouth , covering JC and Hixxys footwear !!, Ben on the stones then the bodyweight DB, Damo on the stairs and The General knocking up the big DB then showboating to the crowd !!
plonkerIcon...23-07-2012 @ 19:51 
The world famous projectile vomit master
Member 1293, 443 posts
SQ 210, BP 155, DL 280
645.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
craigmanc said:Just seen John Rudgards photo on Facebook!!

Best action strongman shot in years I think many would agree

got a link craig...?

was a great comp.. cheers MR France and all helpers... my most impressive feat of the day being my vomiting... brilliant...

you're right ben.. def not my day...
plonkerIcon...23-07-2012 @ 19:55 
The world famous projectile vomit master
Member 1293, 443 posts
SQ 210, BP 155, DL 280
645.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
ha ha.. just seen there is a thread for this in bulls**t
shanejerIcon...23-07-2012 @ 20:02 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
plonker said:ha ha.. just seen there is a thread for this in bulls**t

A worthy photo

you absolute nutter no clue how you could keep repping!
Ben_FIcon...24-07-2012 @ 12:05 
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said:There is a possability of worlds U105 in norway run by Sven Karslen. Im unsure if this is linked to united strongman?

Svend's Worlds is not part of United Strongman (US), in fact it clashes with their Norweigan Nationals - so maybe there is some Scandinavian politics in play.Roll-Eyes

Anyway, Ben will be invited to compete at the 2013 US Worlds in Finland as a minimum... if the Euros or US Worlds come off this year than those too.

12345678910 ... ... 2324252627282930313233

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions