REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 186 guests

How does a Strength Athlete know when he is 'overweight' ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

TerminatorIcon...17-07-2011 @ 21:45 
jerking is obviously great,
Member 2521, 4717 posts
SQ 235, BP 160, DL 290
685.0 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
milsy said:Bmi is complete bo***cks I dowt you will have to worry about any of this I'm 5'8 ish and weigh between 105 -108 depending on what stage I am leading Upto comp

Are you eating to gain weight ( look bigger in appearance)

Or are you doing it to give your body all it needs to recover and repair and gain weight by default

If I was you I would just eat and lift see where you end up in regards to weight class then drop fat and get intolightest class you want don't let weight gain be about your ego its about gaining strength

i'm eating a calorie surplus in order to give my body the best chance to recover and grow stronger, weight gain is more of a side effect i suppose
SteveIcon...17-07-2011 @ 21:58 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
streak said:It's a totally subjective thing. It depends on your goals. Personally, if I gain weight too fast I get a big gut, which I hate. Some guys don't mind getting fat so long as their strength is booming. Do what makes you content in your own mind.

Whether a person is happy being fat or not might be subjective, but how can the amount of fat which is bad for your health be subjective?
terryhollandsIcon...17-07-2011 @ 21:59 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
either get your BF measured or as earlier mentioned the simplest way is to look in the mirror! Waist measurements are useless too as you have to take someones bone structure into account.

Every person should be looked at as an individual not by reading charts
streakIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:03 
they call him the streak
Member 2002, 400 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 130, DL 240
552.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Whether a person is happy being fat or not might be subjective, but how can the amount of fat which is bad for your health be subjective?

I was just answering the thread title - "how does a strength athlete know he is overweight". Thats subjective, and varies from person to person, I feel.
ranathariIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:04 
sumo ?? no ! no !
Member 1399, 557 posts
People need to stop knocking BMI. It's a tool based on population averages, which is why it doesn't work for people who lift weights properly. However, those people are a proper minority and BMI holds true for the majority.

Saying BMI is worthless because it doesn't work for muscular men is like saying tampons are worthless because they don't work for men. It just reveals your ignorance about the underlying science/medicine and your inability to appreciate that you're not 'normal' by the standard of medical statistics.
BigSamIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:06 
HORRIBLE MEDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Member 621, 4744 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 335
895.0 kgs @ 106kgs Eq
terryhollands said:either get your BF measured or as earlier mentioned the simplest way is to look in the mirror! Waist measurements are useless too as you have to take someones bone structure into account.

I agree
milsyIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:22 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
ranathari said:People need to stop knocking BMI. It's a tool based on population averages, which is why it doesn't work for people who lift weights properly. However, those people are a proper minority and BMI holds true for the majority.

Saying BMI is worthless because it doesn't work for muscular men is like saying tampons are worthless because they don't work for men. It just reveals your ignorance about the underlying science/medicine and your inability to appreciate that you're not 'normal' by the standard of medical statistics.

I have a lot of friends who do not train and some have high bmi but very low bodyfat due to there body composition I also know afew girls who have above normal body fat yet they are spot on when it comes into it I understand it can be a ruff guide for the average Joe but how can it be accurate when it doesn't take into account muscle and bone density
Olli1990Icon...17-07-2011 @ 22:24 
Member 2424, 949 posts
SQ 280, BP 200, DL 300
780.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Your overweight when you feel your weight stops you from performing your best
TerminatorIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:26 
Member 2521, 4717 posts
SQ 235, BP 160, DL 290
685.0 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:either get your BF measured or as earlier mentioned the simplest way is to look in the mirror! Waist measurements are useless too as you have to take someones bone structure into account.

a bodyfat measurement sounds like the most reliable way of gauging a persons health, i will check if my doctor can measure it for me!
ranathariIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:37 
sumo ?? no ! no !
Member 1399, 557 posts
milsy said:
I have a lot of friends who do not train and some have high bmi but very low bodyfat due to there body composition I also know afew girls who have above normal body fat yet they are spot on when it comes into it I understand it can be a ruff guide for the average Joe but how can it be accurate when it doesn't take into account muscle and bone density

Averages. BMI is valid when you're using it for millions of people at once, not the 10% who fall outside the normal distribution. That's why slagging it off based on "oh it doesn't work for me or for my mates" is wrong.
SteveIcon...17-07-2011 @ 22:58 
Member 255, 3732 posts
ranathari said:
Averages. BMI is valid when you're using it for millions of people at once, not the 10% who fall outside the normal distribution. That's why slagging it off based on "oh it doesn't work for me or for my mates" is wrong.

Even for average people there are now many experts who believe hip to waist ratio is a far more useful measure of CV risk than BMI.
Olli1990Icon...17-07-2011 @ 23:01 
Member 2424, 949 posts
SQ 280, BP 200, DL 300
780.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
ranathari said:

What's average about strength athletes though? Its a thread about strength athletes not the average person been overweight
SteveIcon...17-07-2011 @ 23:18 
Member 255, 3732 posts
I wonder if being very heavy (overweight) is good for your health even if very little of the extra weight is fat.

Won't being say five, maybe even 10 stone over a normal weight (even if that weight is all muscle) subject your whole body to a far greater stress?

I guess strongman is too young a sport to tell, but looking at say weightlifting, shotput ... do the really big guys have more health problems in later life?
TerminatorIcon...17-07-2011 @ 23:29 
Member 2521, 4717 posts
SQ 235, BP 160, DL 290
685.0 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
Steve said:I wonder if being very heavy (overweight) is good for your health even if very little of the extra weight is fat.

Won't being say five, maybe even 10 stone over a normal weight (even if that weight is all muscle) subject your whole body to a far greater stress?

I guess strongman is too young a sport to tell, but looking at say weightlifting, shotput ... do the really big guys have more health problems in later life?

i've always wondered if big Z has trouble sleeping actually
ranathariIcon...18-07-2011 @ 06:51 
sumo ?? no ! no !
Member 1399, 557 posts
Olli1990 said:
What's average about strength athletes though? Its a thread about strength athletes not the average person been overweight

People in here are slagging off BMI, I'm trying to point out that they shouldn't slag off BMI because it doesn't apply to them at all, they just just ignore it.

Steve said:
Even for average people there are now many experts who believe hip to waist ratio is a far more useful measure of CV risk than BMI.

BMI has far more applications than predicting CVD risk.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions