REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 125 guests
You are here: HomeForumranathari → View All Posts

View All Posts: ranathari

12345678910 ... ... 2829303132333435363738

» skyrim (Go to post)01-06-2012 @ 22:07 
» A doctor's routine (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 23:23 
Congratulations!

I'm doing a surgical job at the moment and I can't help but roll my eyes at all the CT2s and CT3s who get proper arsey when I write "WR Dr. xxx" because they want the Mr. instead. Sadly they also tend to be the tosspots who try to get me to turf problems to the medical SpR rather than trying to do the right thing by the patient.
» GP Medical (Go to post)25-05-2012 @ 23:20 
One bad GP doesn't make all GPs bad.

The problem is that general practice used to be the destination for people who wanted an easier life so there's a fair number of GPs still around who don't really get invested in their patients, seeing it just as a job to pay the bills. That's slowly changing as younger doctors move through the system and make general practice the amazing speciality it can be.
» Statins! (Go to post)18-05-2012 @ 00:11 
Spiderdan said:They are aware that low cholesterol hasnt signifcantly negative side affects as well arent they?

People with low cholesterol still have heart attacks

High cholesterol means nothing either, there is far more to blood lipids than just a total.

Its amazes me that despite all the media attention, government campaigns and funding we are still as a nation thats getting sicker......why are they convinced that its just we eat to much and dont get enough exercise (all though that is partly the issue).....maybe its just their advice is wrong.

Whoa we've got a live one here
» GP Medical (Go to post)18-05-2012 @ 00:06 
Depends on your GP. I know there was a push for an annual medical for the over 50s but I don't know if that ever came to fruition.

If your GP can be convinced that it's worth checking you in for a load of blood tests then it's free, if they can't be convinced then they're simply not going to do it. It's worth bearing in mind that it's not just a matter of doing the test, you have to be aware of the possible consequences of the results and then the pros and cons of acting on them. Screening otherwise healthy individuals is one of the most controversial topics in medicine.
» Fruity Protein (Go to post)14-05-2012 @ 20:31 
Be careful of protein powders that taste really good compared to most, they might be packed with sugar at the expense of protein to con you out of money.

There's a minor scandal going down in America after a brand (American True Whey, I think) was found to be something like 12% protein with the rest being sugar after someone tested it in a proper independent lab. It was previously selling well because people liked a protein powder that tasted so good.
» IPF Europeans (Go to post)12-05-2012 @ 17:58 
Post Edited: 12.05.2012 @ 17:59 PM by ranathari
Carl Yngvar Christensen sank a 445kg squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbWYt1ef9bw&feature=youtu.b...

edit: and the minute I post that I see an entire thread on it.
» Log Pressing Without a Log (Go to post)30-04-2012 @ 06:52 
Yeah sounds like you mean a swiss bar.

I have one and it's not a substitute for a log. Because it's a square frame, you can't practice the clean as the movement's different. The handle positioning is the same as a log but the centre of gravity is closer to you compared to a log. I doubt there's a huge amount of carry-over other than the generic ones from getting stronger at neutral grip pressing.
» Heart disease article (Go to post)19-04-2012 @ 22:30 
brownbear said:
Si, some American physicians seem to believe this concept now that you get chronic inflammation as a causative factor to cardiovascular disease. They tout it as a new rival theory to the lipid hypothesis and say that cholesterol is the by product of vessel wall injury and so shouldnt be targeted, Despite the fact that statins work and have an evidence tank the size of the pacific ocean.
They go as far as using high sensitivity CRP assays in order to test for "low grade" inflammation and use that to predict heart disease.
Seems ridiculous

Forget about the evidence base, look at the NNT. Simvastatin is the most widely prescribed statin in the UK and the NNT is around 16, which isn't great. That's an NNT derived from the RCTs which, even using an ITT analysis, will always show substantially better outcomes than achieved in reality once you start removing the intense follow-up and counselling patients in trials get.

Statins are great and have made a difference to outcomes in coronary disease but diet will always be what we should be pushing on patients - if our obesity levels were a fraction of what they are now, our statin use would dwindle dramatically.
» Log cleans (Go to post)19-04-2012 @ 22:22 
My log cleans used to be utter s**t until the guys at Gym1 gave me some great advice: keep the log close to your body, have the handles angled forward slightly, and focus on driving through as hard as possible with the hips while driving your elbows upwards.

Those cues plus a lot of work with an empty log really helped get my log cleans sorted.
» How come horses and bulls have huge muscles when all they eat is grass??? (Go to post)10-04-2012 @ 14:54 
Remember horses and cows have been very intensively bred over the years by humans specifically for muscular frames as that's what we want from them - muscle for horses we can ride and muscle for cows we can eat. They're able to effectively utilise what they eat to build muscle and the natural set-point for muscle-mass in both species is higher as a result of our tinkering.

Then there's specific breeds like Belgian Blues where we've bred animals with a specific genetic defect that removes one of the brakes on muscle size.
» Hobbies (Go to post)09-04-2012 @ 11:52 
Boar said:my son likes origami and loves your creation !!

Let me know if you want me to PM you a link to the eBook with the assembly instructions, it's really not that hard to make and he'd love doing it.
» Hobbies (Go to post)09-04-2012 @ 01:20 
Post Edited: 09.04.2012 @ 01:22 AM by ranathari
Inspired by the "what makes you happy" thread. What hobbies do you have outside of lifting things up and putting them down?

Mine's origami. It's quite relaxing to watch something start to emerge from a few bits of paper.

http://i.imgur.com/hZI5Q.jpg

That's made out of about 20-ish pieces of paper, all held together by folding with no glue involved.
» Shaun Clegg jerking off (Go to post)04-04-2012 @ 22:41 
Fast as heck!

What was your old weight class?
» orange juice (Go to post)02-04-2012 @ 22:12 
Post Edited: 02.04.2012 @ 22:14 PM by ranathari
You are getting a lot of sugar. I'm currently working in diabetic medicine and my consultants absolutely loathe fruit juices with a passion. One of them labelled juices "the hidden health scandal of the 20th century" because of their sugar content.

When I'm reviewing patients on the ward and see the trend of ridiculously high blood sugar readings in their charts, removing the ubiquitous carton of orange juice from their bedside usually does far more to lower their blood sugar reading than changing their diabetic medication.

12345678910 ... ... 2829303132333435363738

You are here: HomeForumranathari → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions