Who's Online - 0 members and 401 guests

A Quiz... Of Sorts!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Silver_OldieIcon...30-11-2007 @ 12:27 
Silver Surfer
Member 163, 321 posts
SQ 0, BP 95, DL 0
95.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
The dog warden service exists for control of feral,dangerous,uncontrollable,loud and abused dogs
These pups were clearly non of the above and in my view discretion should be given in this instance.
I think it highly unlikely that the two adventurers were picked up by a passing warden ,but called out by some well meaning person. Most dog people would have taken them in and called the owner.No such luck for Martin.
CarlIcon...30-11-2007 @ 13:58 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
i wouldnt be overly impressed with that at all
RickIcon...30-11-2007 @ 22:29 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
A couple of thoughts... first, I very suspect the dog wardens' service runs at a considerable loss. It's not like they're raping you for profit. Neither are the day-by-day charges ridiculous - £10/day is not a lot for kennelling.

Secondly, as others have said, if I had lost my dog (back when I had them), I do not think I would have found such a return fee excessive. If they'd been picked up just outside your back door, yeah, but they were GONE.
RobIcon...30-11-2007 @ 22:35 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
I agree with Rick to be honest, £70 quid is a small price to pay for the return of a dog, it's just unlucky 2 of them went at once. I noticed you said one of them disappeared for a few hours one night last week - do you let them out in a field or something?

Going to the newspapers could even have adverse publicity, not sure it's a great idea.
CarlIcon...30-11-2007 @ 22:36 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
they were less than half a mile, thats 800m, thats f**k all

i can RUN that

i still think thats ridiculous
RobIcon...30-11-2007 @ 22:42 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 30.11.2007 @ 22:43 PM
These things need money to run Carl. How many dogs does a warden pick up in a night? They are paying that warden to work all night - so you're probably looking at £20 an hour for night shift, then petrol costs, building costs etc. etc.

Was this dog warden a private company? Probably not, so I fail to see how they are extracting profit for their own benefits.
Martin1956Icon...01-12-2007 @ 00:32 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7740 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Post Edited: 01.12.2007 @ 00:35 AM
Without getting too heavy here, the dog warden service is part of the council's Environmental Services department. Council's exist to provide services, not to make a profit. Their principal income is tax revenues, made up of central government subsidy (80%) and council tax (20%). I already pay £1500 a year in council tax and Christ knows how much in other direct and indirect taxes. I have no objection in principle to making some payment, but not an exploitative amount extorted from me under extreme pressure.

Rick, I think you were missing my main point, which was not that a £10 a day kennelling fee was unreasonable but that they would have taken my dogs there even although they had identified the owner if I had not been in a position to pay £140. This time last year, I was living on £10 a week and would not have been able to pay that. Do you think it reasonable in these circumstances that my dogs would have been taken somewhere and put up for rehoming?

Rob, I'm getting into writing as a secondary source of income, so I would write any article myself and try and sell it as a freelance. You remember right about the older pup running off one night last week. As she matures, she's getting more of a wanderlust, because she's very wolflike in character as well as appearance. Previously I could just let them out into the garden, but now I don't any more. I was with them when she ran off. Now she goes on a lead before I open the back door!

We'll just have to agree to disagree about what's a reasonable return fee, I guess, but it's been useful to get a range of reactions. Thanks for them all. On the silver linings from clouds front, it's given me a great source of after dinner material based around councils using the mafia as contractors for various services. I've already got about 10 minutes material and rising out of it.

PS - It happened in daytime. I don't think the council operates a 24 hour service, but there might be an on call requirement on staff. I reckon they pay a dog warden £5 to £10 an hour, so recovering my dogs would have paid her salary for at least two days.
little_aIcon...01-12-2007 @ 10:14 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Rick said:
£10/day is not a lot for kennelling.

It's getting on for double what I pay to a proffessional kennels
Eek
Silver_OldieIcon...01-12-2007 @ 12:24 
Silver Surfer
Member 163, 321 posts
SQ 0, BP 95, DL 0
95.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Kennel fees in my area run around £6 to £8
By the way..... I hope there is no truth to the rumour going round that the pups will be on half ration untill the full costs of their galavanting has been metTongue Tongue
little_aIcon...01-12-2007 @ 12:26 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Silver_Oldie said:
Kennel fees in my area run around £6 to £8
By the way..... I hope there is no truth to the rumour going round that the pups will be on half ration untill the full costs of their galavanting has been metTongue Tongue

Just thin sliced bread instead of thick Wink
RickIcon...01-12-2007 @ 14:17 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Yes, of course a council is not run for profit. The point I was trying to make, perhaps with too much subtlety, is that it's not at all clear to me that you should expect such a pet-help service to be heavily subsidised from general taxation.

Martin1956 said:

Rick, I think you were missing my main point, which was not that a £10 a day kennelling fee was unreasonable but that they would have taken my dogs there even although they had identified the owner if I had not been in a position to pay £140. This time last year, I was living on £10 a week and would not have been able to pay that. Do you think it reasonable in these circumstances that my dogs would have been taken somewhere and put up for rehoming?

I also do not wish to get too heavy here, but: if you can't pay a return fee, you can't pay a vet's bill. If you can't pay a vet's bill, ought you to have dogs?
Martin1956Icon...01-12-2007 @ 14:42 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7740 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Rick said:
Yes, of course a council is not run for profit. The point I was trying to make, perhaps with too much subtlety, is that it's not at all clear to me that you should expect such a pet-help service to be heavily subsidised from general taxation.

Martin1956 said:

I also do not wish to get too heavy here, but: if you can't pay a return fee, you can't pay a vet's bill. If you can't pay a vet's bill, ought you to have dogs?

So I'm temporarily impoversihed and I give up my dogs???????
AlexIcon...01-12-2007 @ 15:12 
Picca Boo
Member 16, 1204 posts
SQ 140, BP 130, DL 200
470.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Carl said:

i can RUN that

Let's not be silly now mate.
Martin1956Icon...01-12-2007 @ 15:13 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7740 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Sorry Rick, I didn't see the first part of your post. The short answer is, yes I do. It's not a pet-help service, of course. It's a service, as Silver Oldie pointed out, that is primarily there to take stray and dangerous dogs off the streets and to deal with a number of dog related issues, including educating the public on dog safety issues, fouling issues, etc. One small aspect of the service is reuniting chipped dogs with their owners when they escape, but that's not its primary purpose, so to call it a pet-help servive is somewhere between misleasding and mischievous.

The nearest swimming pool in my council's area is over 10 miles away. I never use it, yet I subsidise the people that do. Same with football pitches, sports centres, community centres, skateboard parks... That's how local councils operate. They provide a range of services for all aspects of the community and we all pay for them whether we use them or not. Many of the benefits are secondary. I don't use youth centres, but I benefit from their existence because it improves the general quality of life where I live. I have happily subsidised the dog warden service for the last 28 years without ever needing to take advantage of it. When 28 years later, I need to use it once, I reckon I've got a few credits in the bank. A typical swimming pool admission would be more than £10 if the facility wasn't subsidised. I am quite content to subsidise it, because without the subsidy it would close.

I have no problem, I reiterate, with paying a reasonable charge. I don't consider £140 reasonable. You do. Shall we just agree to differ?
Martin1956Icon...01-12-2007 @ 15:13 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7740 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Alex said:
Carl said:

i can RUN that

Let's not be silly now mate.

I think he meant jog!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions