REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 160 guests

SM - The new king of strength sports???

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Tiff_PIcon...24-07-2009 @ 09:02 
Member 704, 85 posts
Just wish that they would move away from using an Oly bar and plates for doing the Dealift in SM which has crepted in lately and go back to the days of Silver Dollar Deadlifts, car DL, cart lifting, Axle DL etc.

Its alot more interesting for competitors and spectators! Angry
LuuuuuukeyIcon...24-07-2009 @ 09:06 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
For its worth, I think people are getting it spot on with the view that its because Strong Man is simply more interesting for spectators!

Powerlifting; impressive for someone else who is interested in lifting to see somebody achieving huge numbers, but rather boring for anyone else.

Strong Man; the guy's pulling a flipping truck, who is not going to want to watch that?!
WILLSANIcon...24-07-2009 @ 09:09 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Tiff_P said:
Just wish that they would move away from using an Oly bar and plates for doing the Dealift in SM which has crepted in lately and go back to the days of Silver Dollar Deadlifts, car DL, cart lifting, Axle DL etc.

I agree with all of this (except the axle dl Grin ).
JCIcon...24-07-2009 @ 09:31 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Tiff_P said:

I agree, although I think the use of Oly bars is a cost thing more than anything. Cheap Oly bar is pittance, silver dolar deaddlift, car deadlift are a bit more expensive

I do agree though that the car DL etc looks far better and as a competitior I would rather do those events too
Tiff_PIcon...24-07-2009 @ 09:59 
Member 704, 85 posts
JC said:
Tiff_P said:

I agree, although I think the use of Oly bars is a cost thing more than anything. Cheap Oly bar is pittance, silver dolar deaddlift, car deadlift are a bit more expensive

I do agree though that the car DL etc looks far better and as a competitior I would rather do those events too

Fully agree that unfortunately they use it because of cost but if you pay an entrance fee to a comp you expect a bit of effort from the organisers not just the easiest option.

Should start a campain on here to get oly bar deadlift replaced with more interesting forms in SM!!! haha
MarsbarIcon...24-07-2009 @ 11:08 
Is a gay bodybuilder
Member 39, 423 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Boar said:
Marsbar said:
most strength sports are a hell of a lot cheaper (and more fun) than bodybuilding .. I know one lad who spent £5k on just 'supplements' for his first ever bodybuilding comp and .. he looked s**t and got no where!!!!

did this 'friend' recently get a SOLID deadlift PB

Grin

Haha no mate it wasn't me - I probably spent £500 tops on my bb'ing contest prep supplements .. and I looked GOOD .. but still got nowhere Unhappy
JCIcon...24-07-2009 @ 12:28 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Alex said:
Anyone can have a go at things like farmers, yoke etc, and do well if they're strong - some things like log and stones require technique, but it's still largely brute strength.

Having to learn the movements of oly lifting for years to put up half-decent numbers might put people off.

Don't really buy that - how do you class strong? Strong all round, yes. But you can have a hugely strong back, but be s**t at farmers, poor grip, slow on your feet etc

Stones is a LOT of technique too!!
paul_richardsIcon...24-07-2009 @ 12:39 
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
powerlifting is all about weight lifted, strongman abstracts that away and you only need to be concerned with points/placing. So I guess from that point of view it makes SM easier to follow. People like points, they make prizes
SteveIcon...24-07-2009 @ 13:26 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Am I the only person who doesn't like the direction televised strongman seems to be taking.

If I want to see who's the fastest I watch the athletics - it seems that most of the TV events feature competitions which are far more about speed than actual weight lifted and very rarely do they have any events where the competitors attempt to lift as much as possible for a single rep.

I understand it probably makes better TV, but isn't being the strongest supposed to be about who can lift the most weight?
JCIcon...24-07-2009 @ 13:29 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 24.07.2009 @ 13:30 PM by JC
Steve said:
Am I the only person who doesn't like the direction televised strongman seems to be taking.

If I want to see who's the fastest I watch the athletics - it seems that most of the TV events feature competitions which are far more about speed than actual weight lifted and very rarely do they have any events where the competitors attempt to lift as much as possible for a single rep.

I understand it probably makes better TV, but isn't being the strongest supposed to be about who can lift the most weight?

If the weight is sufficiently heavy enough (ie not light to any of the athletes) in theory the strongest person should be quickest as they are carrying less weight, relatively!!

also, i would take no enjoyment out of seeing athletes labour with a heavy heavy weight on moving events
SteveIcon...24-07-2009 @ 13:53 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
JC said:
If the weight is sufficiently heavy enough (ie not light to any of the athletes) in theory the strongest person should be quickest as they are carrying less weight, relatively!!

It often doesn't always work that way - some people simply can't move very fast.

I seem to remember comments from WSM in China - Pudinoski struggled with the squats in the heats - in the final they actually decreased the weight and he won it in the quickest time. It shows he was clearly the fastest on a submaximal weight, but as I said I thought it was strongest man, not fastest.
JoniIcon...24-07-2009 @ 13:55 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
no, the TV is about what makes the best TV - period. Happy

Anything else is just rationalising it afterwards...
JCIcon...24-07-2009 @ 13:57 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Steve said:
JC said:

It often doesn't always work that way - some people simply can't move very fast.

I seem to remember comments from WSM in China - Pudinoski struggled with the squats in the heats - in the final they actually decreased the weight and he won it in the quickest time. It shows he was clearly the fastest on a submaximal weight, but as I said I thought it was strongest man, not fastest.

I was talking more about moving events, of which squats isn't one Wink

Not a great fan of squats in strongman TBH. If you look at the cage squats in BSM last year, most were bounced at the bottom for starters!!
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-07-2009 @ 14:32 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22057 posts
JC said:
Not a great fan of squats in strongman TBH. If you look at the cage squats in BSM last year, most were bounced at the bottom for starters!!

From a spectating point of view squat is my favourite strongman event! The bouncing of the frame is the same for everyone. There is an issue however with setting it up so that depth is consistent/fair for all competitors. Also, I'd like to see a "no suits" rule.
ThingIcon...24-07-2009 @ 14:40 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
then you fall into what do we allow and what dont we allow, as tacky is a aid for gripping like a deadlift suit is a aid for deadlifting.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions