Who's Online - 1 member and 150 guests

SM - The new king of strength sports???

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

richards9876Icon...23-07-2009 @ 16:29 
Still mostly bodybuilding
Member 501, 10465 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 250
620.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
Strongman = Lifting & moving s**t for fun in sweatpants & t-shirt of choice.
Powerlifting = Lifting & moving s**t wearing spandex suits and briefs.

Just my opinion of course.Grin
BoarIcon...23-07-2009 @ 16:53 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25564 posts
Administrator
Im gonna do some powerlifting next year - i love the atmos on comp days and i enjoy testing myself (against my own PB's) but comps are few and far between so the added u90 strongman is big bonk-on bonus for me as i enjoy training with likeminded mofo's

strongman is varied n fun , ill be there in the u90's next year
SteveIcon...23-07-2009 @ 18:08 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
I suspect that there are now more people practicing weightlifting/powerlifting and related lifts than at any time ever before. Unfortunately it's as part of crossfit which appears to be a little bit like strongman, but with lighter weights.
IainKendrickIcon...23-07-2009 @ 18:16 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
richards9876 said:
Strongman = Lifting & moving s**t for fun in sweatpants & t-shirt of choice.
Powerlifting = Lifting & moving s**t wearing spandex suits and briefs.

Just my opinion of course.Grin

Strongman = lifting and moving s**t for fun often wearing spandex and powerlifting gear and t-shirt of choice, unless it national then you don't get a choice in t-shirt.

Powerlifting = lifting and moving s**t for fun wearing powerlifting gear unless they are unequipped but often not having a choice of t-shirt.

See now it makes sense.
MarsbarIcon...23-07-2009 @ 18:51 
Is a gay bodybuilder
Member 39, 423 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
most strength sports are a hell of a lot cheaper (and more fun) than bodybuilding .. I know one lad who spent £5k on just 'supplements' for his first ever bodybuilding comp and .. he looked s**t and got no where!!!!
BoarIcon...23-07-2009 @ 18:56 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25564 posts
Administrator
Marsbar said:
most strength sports are a hell of a lot cheaper (and more fun) than bodybuilding .. I know one lad who spent £5k on just 'supplements' for his first ever bodybuilding comp and .. he looked s**t and got no where!!!!

did this 'friend' recently get a SOLID deadlift PB

Grin
TannhauserIcon...23-07-2009 @ 19:10 
fighting woo with woo
Member 206, 1491 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 165, DL 260
652.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
I think strongman incorporates events that people can relate to more. Take movements like Stones or Farmer's Walk.

Everyone has had to walk from A to B carrying something heavy in their hands, and most have had to pick something awkward up and load it onto a shelf. So when you see a competitor walking with 120kg in each hand, you have a sense of what that might be like and just how f**king hard that must be.

By contrast, squatting (for example) just isn't a movement you ever do outside of a gym, at least with weight on your shoulders. Unless you are one of the minority of gym-goers who actually squat, you have no sense about what might feel like 'a lot'. 150kg? 300kg? 450kg? 600kg?

This means that a strongman competitor can talk to other people about his events and they can quickly get an idea about what is involved. It's much easier to share with outsiders, I think.
shawnIcon...23-07-2009 @ 20:52 
aka. the skinny scouser
Member 228, 1443 posts
SQ 140, BP 140, DL 260
540.0 kgs @ 109kgs UnEq
Doing s**t people don't think can be done.

Doing s**t that not everyone can do.

Being "A Strong Man"
MrSmallIcon...23-07-2009 @ 21:05 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Powerlifting bores me to tears, squat bench and deadlift I can't imagine anything drearier.

Olympic lifting shows some really awesome technical aspects, but it's a bit predictable (ie: still c&n, snatch)

Strongman is good fun for all the family, not even joking. Half the people's missus here would die of boredom at a powerlifting meet but strongman is good fun for the spectators. ANYONE knows world's strongest man (mainly pulling trucks) and olympic clean and jerk, and if you ask them again they will say strongman is a lot more fun.
PAGANIcon...23-07-2009 @ 21:45 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Tannhauser said:
I think strongman incorporates events that people can relate to more. Take movements like Stones or Farmer's Walk.

Everyone has had to walk from A to B carrying something heavy in their hands, and most have had to pick something awkward up and load it onto a shelf. So when you see a competitor walking with 120kg in each hand, you have a sense of what that might be like and just how f**king hard that must be.

By contrast, squatting (for example) just isn't a movement you ever do outside of a gym, at least with weight on your shoulders. Unless you are one of the minority of gym-goers who actually squat, you have no sense about what might feel like 'a lot'. 150kg? 300kg? 450kg? 600kg?

This means that a strongman competitor can talk to other people about his events and they can quickly get an idea about what is involved. It's much easier to share with outsiders, I think.

Good post mate !

Strongman as a participant sport is growing because it's fun.It's growing as a spectator sport because the man in the street can relate a little to what their watching.Blokes who work in manual jobs can relate to some of the events for example. Thats why I think events that involve more everyday objects should be encouraged in strongman. Axle deadlift , or axle press is just a fat oly bar that a farmer or a builder cant relate too. Sand bags , anvils , natural stones , logs that were once part of a tree or car flipping are things the man in the street can watch and think 'f**k me that blokes strong! ' , the same guy could watch watch Mark Felix pull 400k on a bar and not know what he's seeing and turn over.
JoniIcon...23-07-2009 @ 21:49 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
MrSmall said:
Powerlifting bores me to tears, squat bench and deadlift I can't imagine anything drearier.

which comps have you watched? There are differences between comps, but in general i have enjoyed myself at powerlifting comps - though it is a social situation and a chance to catch up with people, and not strictly just watching lift after lift.

But there are some inspiring performances and ballsy lifts which make the day.

So i wouldnt condemn the whole sport based on a bad experience, but if you have watched a few comps already then maybe its beyond hope Grin
JCIcon...23-07-2009 @ 21:51 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
One huge reason for the popularity is the chance to train MAX log on a weekly basis Grin
richards9876Icon...23-07-2009 @ 21:54 
Still mostly bodybuilding
Member 501, 10465 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 250
620.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
JC said:
One huge reason for the popularity is the chance to train MAX log on a weekly basis Grin

You really do love max log.Grin
tonyjb72Icon...24-07-2009 @ 08:19 
abs by summer 2011? Experts opinions vary
Member 290, 2552 posts
MrSmall said:
.. Half the people's missus here would die of boredom at a powerlifting meet but strongman is good fun for the spectators.

I have direct experiece of this. At the Police PL champs, my missus came to watch me lift but spent most of her time doing marking. At SSM, she enjoyed every minute of it.
MrSmallIcon...24-07-2009 @ 08:39 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Joni said:
MrSmall said:

which comps have you watched? There are differences between comps, but in general i have enjoyed myself at powerlifting comps - though it is a social situation and a chance to catch up with people, and not strictly just watching lift after lift.

But there are some inspiring performances and ballsy lifts which make the day.

So i wouldnt condemn the whole sport based on a bad experience, but if you have watched a few comps already then maybe its beyond hope Grin

I'm only basing that on what I've seen online, never been to one in person! So the social aspect might make it a bit better.

But by the by, squats bench and deadlift are not something I would want to watch in competition, a whole comp of just these 3.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions