REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 216 guests

Paul Savage training log

Users viewing topic: & 3 Guests

12345678910 ... 612613614 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

PaulSavageIcon...28-02-2019 @ 14:52 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
JackRevans said:is the vertical diet where you eat just rice and mince meat? So you also have stock cubes and/or gravy with it?

Yeah we don't stick to it 100%, I have extra stuff now as need more calories sometimes but the base of what we eat is rice and beef. Breakfast is generally bacon, rice an eggs. We put either chicken stock or ground turmeric in the rice.
JackRevansIcon...28-02-2019 @ 14:58 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
sounds luxury! I'm a big fan of putting stock in rice. It just makes it so much nicer.
PaulSavageIcon...09-03-2019 @ 16:45 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 09.03.2019 @ 17:08 PM by PaulSavage
Yesterdays training..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuymwQbg3w-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuymwQbg3w-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&...

Becca's had tingling / pins and needles in her calf for a few days, we still don't know why, some kind of nerve damage from sitting down in work possibly but we were in hospital for most of Wednesday and Thursday so had to catch up with training as best we could last night. Both of us are sick though so not the easiest. Very happy with Becca's overhead considering, looks like 140-150kg total should be there by the end of this prep. Her deadlift also went very well yesterday. I didn't feel like I had much left due to sickness come the deadlift but overhead felt good, hopefully 277.5kg deadlift for 8-10 in a few weeks. Need to get new wrist wraps as keep getting f**ked over with the ones we have now coming open mid set.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...09-03-2019 @ 17:59 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22043 posts
PaulSavage said:
hopefully 277.5kg deadlift for 8-10 in a few weeks.

Banded, with 277.5kg being the estimated weight at the top?
PaulSavageIcon...09-03-2019 @ 18:57 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Banded, with 277.5kg being the estimated weight at the top?

Assuming you didn't watch the videos. I'm talking of loading pin deadlift, its a version of bulgarian deadlift with a swinging weight underneath you. It's in the bodypower comp were training for. They did it in UK's finals one year with the same weight I'm doing (300kg) so assuming its going to be tough. I'm simulating it as best I can using a loading pin with weights on and a short bar, also done belt squat deadlifts with the short bar.

As for band estimating, not that it really matters what band weight is exactly as its just for training purposes at the end of the day but I don't recommend estimating as most would get this wrong. I've measured all my bands to waist height, some to overhead. You can use calculations pretty accurately as long as you have measured a few in different heights (as long as the ones your calculating are the same brand that is) but just testing each one with luggage scale when you set up is always going to be the most accurate.
Funky_monkeyIcon...12-04-2019 @ 16:54 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:Oh forget to say, something else that went into the decision to do bodypower was also that some f**k came into our house an stole my bloody gym bag so the £650 SBD packages would be helpful. Don't have any elbow or knee sleeves now, having to use some really harsh wrist wraps, got no mouth piece etc luckily they didn't realise the belt next to the bag cost £160 an left that.

Or the guy who stole your stuff looked at the belt and thought he might not have much use for it. Sorry to hear about the theft of your stuff, which is not only monetary, but a pain in the ass convenience wise.
PaulSavageIcon...12-04-2019 @ 18:04 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Funky_monkey said:
Or the guy who stole your stuff looked at the belt and thought he might not have much use for it. Sorry to hear about the theft of your stuff, which is not only monetary, but a pain in the ass convenience wise.

Yeah not the greatest though i did find my knee sleeves the other day so that was awesome, thought they were in the bag that was stolen. I dont think they were gym goers, i think they just took the bag because it had money in it to be honest.
PaulSavageIcon...12-04-2019 @ 18:14 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
So little update, finally got to our first proper events session yesterday, was supposed to be 2 weeks back to give us 3 heavy events sessions and then was going add lighter ones depending on how things were feeling but unfortunately ran into some bad luck and the car broke down on the way to the gym, ended up needing a new alternator so that threw a spanner in the works.Then unfortunately yesterday i pulled something in my side on the top set of deadlifts so did not get to do any events. Need to get a new bed, it's been messing my hips up for a while especially on right side and then the left side probably over compensating has got hurt. Not the best, not going to leave me with much events training and definitely has not been helping with my deadlift training in general. Pressing feels good, yokes gradually getting better, i think i simply just need more time and need to get past these hip issues so maybe bodypower wont be the greatest for me but its just the start of the year, want to do the european games after that and really just trying to actually get strong right now, been a long time since ive trained for strongman. Becca on the other hand had a great sesssion, pb's on everything, just needs some medley work as was too spent to really put a good effort forward on that. If this hip thing clears up enough might go back next week and do a lighter events session so i can get some practice in and becca can get some medley work etc putting up a youtube vid soon.
PaulSavageIcon...12-04-2019 @ 19:13 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 12.04.2019 @ 19:20 PM by PaulSavage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYYPg1tXTY&t=84s

Can you not embed on here any more or am i doing something wrong?
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...13-04-2019 @ 16:49 
Member 400, 22043 posts
PaulSavage said:
PaulSavageIcon...02-05-2019 @ 14:22 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Becca's last heavy events session

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwyyA5CgGX7/

Mine

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0AtQqAb71/

These by no means went to plan, my hip was just not working, plan was to go to 270-300kg deadlift for a triple (262kg+bands) but i couldn't even lift 220-250kg, or do a 220kg sumo 15" pull, couldn't even move it where as plan was 260kg x 10 and could probably have done 220kg x 20 the week before. My hip / back just wasn't working. On top of that Becca started throwing up mid session and she couldn't even pull 210kg which she was supposed to be doing a set of 5, her back was a bit out too. Decided to just call it and ended up coming back the next day after a lot of massage and basically do a run through of the comp events. Becca has wales strongest woman the week after bodypower so couple of events from that were thrown in. Finally getting adjusted tonight and hopefully will see good improvement in function from it but not at all happy with my prep, couldnt string enough sessions together for deadlift and yoke, had to go from 275kg yoke to 395kg yoke in a single session, and deadlift has been extremely inconsistent. That said, the 250kg x 5 on the loading pin was pretty comfy at least, im sure i could have added another 20k and still got 5 so hopefully wont be a complete disaster. Another thing thats been s**te is the tennis elbow (assuming its that) ive been having in my right arm, has meant ive not been able to do anything heavy medley wise, only done 2 sessions of very light medleys, and no arm over arm training at all apart from in the above session (phone didnt film it). b**ching aside, it simply can't possibly be my best performance, but it's first comp back and just need to treat it that way. Next comp for me will now be north wales strongest man (don't have to be welsh, not a qualifier for anything etc) as i think it's best to focus on becca for europes and it's a week after. That comp will need a much better, more consistent prep as it's a brutal comp. Think there's 9 events in a day or something daft, medley, stones to 180kg, 350kg yoke x 40m, 80kg circuss dumbbell, mas wrestling, 120kg log, 160kg farmers x 40m, 280kg deadlift, shield hold (maybe a cruciifx im not sure). The log and deadlift might not be overly heavy but considering where they are in the comp and all the other events i think even on those it will be hard to get many reps. Goal is to win it anyway. Beccas going to do it too for some more comp / event experience.

On that note, obviously were not quite finished yet but really it's been more off season training for becca as havent had her do too much specific training for these comps. Really it's all been about getting stronger and she's definitely stronger. 40kg dumbbell shoulder presses x 5 is an awesome result, obviously i would have liked her to be able to pull the planned 210kg x 5 but i know she's strong enough to do that and even the 202kg x 5 clean reps is much better than previous. Her carries are through the roof, 600-700lb yokes are normal for her now, she's done a world record farmers for weight with the 140's, done very heavy zercher carries. Just all around she's stronger and just going to build from here. Started her on the big log recently and shes already push presssing up near 200lb for several reps (want her to build to 100kg for 7-10 before going heavy). Will start her on stones soon and getting practice on some other events. Overall she's in a good place and im really not concerned with these next comps for her, it's europes strongest woman, arnold europe and worlds strongest woman thats the real focus, others are more for experience than anything else.
PaulSavageIcon...09-05-2019 @ 15:41 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 09.05.2019 @ 15:44 PM by PaulSavage
Becca's final session

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFhI-sgRWT/

Mine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFdGz1ghX3/

Basically just did loads of technique work on the yoke (must have done 10 sets or so total), arm over arm at 250kg, plus keg medley, also did some easyish pressing. Becca did the same, but less yoke, some farmers prior to, 170kg arm over arm, and some mediumish deadlift work 150-160kg.

For me my back and hip just wasn't really having it again, deadlift was a no go and yoke just felt s**t hence loads of sets (worked upto like 5 or so at 315kg). My legs just basically won't work, picking it up the weights feel pretty light but can't seem to use any glutes at all and also having to have it super high on the neck or it feels like it will fall off my back so that makes it more unstable having less contact. Been to an osteopath since and although he didn't actually do anything that helped my hip or back, he did identify what im assuming must have been the issue. I had zero internal rotation in my right leg, literally either nothing or maybe a few mm, where as left leg was completely free and rotated fine. 2 days after the osteopath my back randomly went in spasm again and i couldnt stand up and knee pain had been getting worse so yesterday i decided to try do something about it myself. Researched ways i could try to fix the issue myself and to my surprise they actually worked and now i have full rotation or at least near it. Back still feels like it's out of place and doing the exercises to fix the hip was a bit of a core killer so got sore abs at 2 days out but id rather have that than not even being able to walk right like i was before. Ill get a light massage tonight and hot and cold treatment again (3rd this week) and hopefully be in some kind of working order for the comp.

As for becca, the session went really well, speed coming back quick after just a couple sessions of speed runs she was probably 90% back to her fastest, 75kg farmers for 24m drop an turn at 12m was taking around 10 seconds, yoke runs were pretty fast, start technique wasnt 100% but should be fine on those events. Deadlifts looked great, especially the loading pin one for bodypower, shouldn't have any issues at all with 180kg. Only thing that didn't go great was the medley at the end which she didnt finish (she didnt push to finish just dropped it and walked away) but to be fair i found out when trying it the last keg was a tough one and she was already spent. Happy going into these next two comps, not put too much focus on them but should be enough to win them and move on to esw prep.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...10-05-2019 @ 09:49 
Member 400, 22043 posts
Hopefully your legs will work on comp day.
segouIcon...11-05-2019 @ 11:29 
I'm talking to myself here
Member 4644, 216 posts
SQ 0, BP 70, DL 160
230.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
This may not be the place for this but man, Becca is having a good comp at Bodypower. Shame the field is so small for the women.
PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 12:13 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Hopefully your legs will work on comp day.

One did and one almost didn't completely it seems, will be interesting to get the % of actual function when I find someone who really knows what they are doing to sort it but currently in a pretty bad way (can't fully stand up and back to zero internal rotation of the leg).

12345678910 ... 612613614 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions