World's Strongest Hand's

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

bruceIcon...23-12-2013 @ 08:52 
a champion ...from the future !!
Member 1806, 3968 posts
SQ 210, BP 140, DL 240
590.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Northern under 90s will be on either the 9th or 16th, get it done and stop been a fanny.
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 09:49 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
bruce said:Northern under 90s will be on either the 9th or 16th, get it done and stop been a fanny.

Thanks. Where you getting this info? Facebook??
bruceIcon...23-12-2013 @ 10:03 
a champion ...from the future !!
Member 1806, 3968 posts
SQ 210, BP 140, DL 240
590.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:

Bobs said he wants it in the first 2 wks of march, and he always puts it on a Sunday, he has upped the weight on squat to def 200, and yoke is now 270
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 10:12 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
bruce said:
Bobs said he wants it in the first 2 wks of march, and he always puts it on a Sunday, he has upped the weight on squat to def 200, and yoke is now 270

Ok sound
ystradboy79Icon...23-12-2013 @ 12:22 
Chris 'The Magician' Melling
Member 1443, 978 posts
SQ 270, BP 180, DL 320
770.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:

All qually dates are printed inside the front cover of muscle and fitness , its where all the real strength athletes hang out Cool
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 13:53 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 23.12.2013 @ 13:56 PM by PaulSavage
The light weights have certainly done something as my upperback is sore as f**k today.

(no belt/45-90 seconds between sets)

Shoulders
- 4 palms facing overhead press exercises x load of sets with drops and rest pauses (included 40k dumbbells and 110k Viking press)

Chest
- Cable crossovers 3 sets then incline barbell press and seated plate loaded drop sets with rest pauses each drop

Triceps
- Dips double rest pause then superset reverse grip pushdowns and overhead rope extension to failure

Cardio
- 1 hour walk on treadmill at 3.0
JamesHIcon...23-12-2013 @ 19:43 
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2119 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
With all this bodybuilding training, along with your obvious knowledge, have you considered a jump to that sport?
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 19:51 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
JamesH said:With all this bodybuilding training, along with your obvious knowledge, have you considered a jump to that sport?

No. It's not for bodybuilding, just a different way to train, I want to give my tendons a rest while I'm off work. Will go heavier as time goes on but I think some of the lighter stretching movements are useful. I struggle to get the muscles to work properly in my upper back as my arms/tendons take over.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...23-12-2013 @ 20:08 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22063 posts
I disagree with what you said about bodybuilders. Sure, there are some extremely strong bodybuilders out there, but generally they are weaker than strength guys of the same bodyweight. Bodybuilders have historically performed poorly in strongman. Well under-powered. Eddie Ellwood was pretty good though.
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 20:23 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:I disagree with what you said about bodybuilders. Sure, there are some extremely strong bodybuilders out there, but generally they are weaker than strength guys of the same bodyweight. Bodybuilders have historically performed poorly in strongman. Well under-powered. Eddie Ellwood was pretty good though.

I really don't think they are when you consider all around gym strength and not just squat/bench/dead. Bodybuilders are short, lean and full of muscle - this equates to being very strong pound for pound. Can think of a number of bodybuilders between 90 and 110kg where no strongman of equal weight can shift all the same weights in all the exercises using the same form/rest periods.

Don't get me wrong here, the compound movements heavy are key to strength of course, but if someone gains muscle, they also gain strength.
AKBCIcon...23-12-2013 @ 21:24 
Kettlebells RULE !!!
Member 3699, 407 posts
PaulSavage said:if someone gains muscle, they also gain strength.

You can't argue with logic like this...

Not because it is correct, it would just take too long and when someone is simultaneously training to have the world's strongest hands, win the British Championship in boxing, be Britain's Strongest Man (at an undecided weight class) and now be a bodybuilder they probably don't have time for arguing on message boards. Happy
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 21:40 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
AKBC said:
You can't argue with logic like this...
Not because it is correct, it would just take too long and when someone is simultaneously training to have the world's strongest hands, win the British Championship in boxing, be Britain's Strongest Man (at an undecided weight class) and now be a bodybuilder they probably don't have time for arguing on message boards. Happy

I've said none of these things (could argue for the first)

So I'm not understanding what your saying, your saying fat lifts the weight? Doesn't make any sense, of course when you gain muscle you gain strength, it doesn't just work off your motor skills or tendon and ligament strength. This would be why the bigger guys are stronger than the little guys and all the wsm competitors are f**king massive.
shortandmightyIcon...23-12-2013 @ 21:42 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
I really don't think they are when you consider all around gym strength and not just squat/bench/dead. Bodybuilders are short, lean and full of muscle - this equates to being very strong pound for pound. Can think of a number of bodybuilders between 90 and 110kg where no strongman of equal weight can shift all the same weights in all the exercises using the same form/rest periods.
Don't get me wrong here, the compound movements heavy are key to strength of course, but if someone gains muscle, they also gain strength.

A very general argument there and only really relevant to bodybuilders that are, shall we say, chemically enhanced. I have competed against one of the worlds best natural bodybuilders at u90 and if I remember correctly I beat him in almost every event, I also competed against a former Scottish bodybuilding champion and beat him in 3 out of 3 comps last year and I am far from one of the best u90's. There is a lot more to it than simply muscles = strength.
PaulSavageIcon...23-12-2013 @ 21:53 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 23.12.2013 @ 21:56 PM by PaulSavage
shortandmighty said:
A very general argument there and only really relevant to bodybuilders that are, shall we say, chemically enhanced. I have competed against one of the worlds best natural bodybuilders at u90 and if I remember correctly I beat him in almost every event, I also competed against a former Scottish bodybuilding champion and beat him in 3 out of 3 comps last year and I am far from one of the best u90's. There is a lot more to it than simply muscles = strength.

I wasn't saying strongman, I said in terms of gym strength. I fully realise there's more to it than muscle = strength but it's always the case. You add 10kg of muscle on someone and they will be able to lift heavier weights, chemically enhanced or not.They may or may not be stronger than others of the same weight, but they will be stronger than they were before.
AKBCIcon...23-12-2013 @ 22:51 
Kettlebells RULE !!!
Member 3699, 407 posts
PaulSavage said:I'm not understanding what your saying, your saying fat lifts the weight? Doesn't make any sense, of course when you gain muscle you gain strength, it doesn't just work off your motor skills or tendon and ligament strength. This would be why the bigger guys are stronger than the little guys and all the wsm competitors are f**king massive.

You are correct. You do not understand. I am now disappointed in myself for getting into this.

1. Bigger muscles are not always just bigger in totally equal ways. Sacroplasmic and sacromere hypertrophy (this is off the top of my head so bear with me if I'm not 100% on it here) are not equal. The upshot of this is that training optimally for getting bigger is not the same as training optimally for getting stronger. Both will lead to getting bigger and both will lead to getting stronger (all other things being equal, nutrition etc.) but not in the same proportions. Add to this, as you already indicated, recruitment and muscle fibre type differences and their implications to programming...

2. I see you're doing cable crossovers? That is an example of purposely putting a lever in it's least mechanically effective position to transfer force. The reason for this from a bodybuilding perspective is to produce growth in an un-natural way, making parts of a muscle not normally particularly stimulated grow. This leads to looking bigger and 'freakier'. All good for the stage (once all other bases are covered so only in advanced trainees anyway really) but totally useless for any real-world, or more pertinently strength athletics purpose. In fact it's actually counter-productive seeing as you may generate mass growth that has no strength benefit yet is metabolically active tissue in effect 'draining your tank'.

Add to these issues that you are actively de-training firing sequences and motor skills by utilising bodybuilding specific training when your aim is strongman (this week) and a whole host of other issues I find it astounding you are pursuing this route when multiple knowledgeable people are advising against it.

Believe it or not I mean no offence Paul. I actually just can't help myself but to post when your journal is so ridiculous. I'd like to think you're actually a comedy genius doing this on purpose, I hope that's the case? I am actually jealous you are so strong whilst being so actively ignorant.

I am going to open a book on what you are going to focus on becoming world champion at next, for the next fortnight until you are bored anyway. I fancy you'll be a triple jumper next week?

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions