REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 170 guests

World's Strongest Hand's

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

PaulSavageIcon...11-09-2013 @ 14:41 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Decided to log whats happening at work through the prep as gives a better idea of graft am putting in and be good to look back over an see if it's actually helping me or hurting me as it gets busier leading up to christmas e.g is it making me weaker as am f**ked all the time or is it making me stronger

Will start with yesterday since i was off monday. Will just be listing anything taxing or saying wasnt much etc no listing all general stuff.

If i say rems, cuts or rolls i'm meaning carpets, fits means pulling the carpet fitters work for the next day..

Shifted at least 100 rems around changing the order, upto about 100kg. Had most fits i have seen for 6 months, did 20+ cuts to about 90kg. Busy day, nothing crazy heavy but load of volume. Feel good after yesterday though traps sore as hell.

Today

Biked it pretty quick so got in early to find 15 boxes of metal stands to take in on top of the twice weekly premnant carpets. 10 smaller boxes at 30kg each then 5 massive boxes at 40kg each (could only just get my arms around them). Carried each 8-10m. After this had to unload 20 odd carpets by hand upto 150kg or so. Rest of day pretty easy. Traps still v sore but feel pretty fresh overall.
FAT_SAMIcon...12-09-2013 @ 01:15 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
I feel i recover better that way as long as i do f**k all volume and don't go too heavy but with me it's always a lot more than what you see in a log due to my job, i lift heavy in work a lot and do it 6 days a week. I don't really use that different methods for grip than i do other lifting, just maybe more volume and frequency on stuff that doesn't stress cns. Also I'm not on any ped's Sam.

Thanks for the reply Paul. That's the exact reason I've always chosen jobs that involve doing next to f**k all!

With grip I found high volume and high frequency to be most effective, whereas for lifting I've seen most progress off high volume and low frequency. I used to do way too much in the past.

Looking forward to reading more of your workouts mate.
PaulSavageIcon...13-09-2013 @ 00:09 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 13.09.2013 @ 08:04 AM by PaulSavage
My job helps me as well as hurts me i think. I could probably handle higher frequency on the main lifts if not for my job. I think i have done too much in the past too, lower volume would probably have worked better.

work

I knew i was going to bolton but didn't realise it was for a store build. Nightmare as always. Felt in good shape by 4 was struggling. Basically this meant lots of deadlifts, front squats, and overhead presses upto very heavy, along with a bunch of other back breaking stuff.

gym

(used fat gripz on everything)
smith seated press to +70kg x 5 drop +40kg x 5
smith close bench press to +80kg x 15
kettle bell front hold with 8kg's x 35 seconds
kettle bell crucifix palms up 8kg's x 40 seconds
kettle bell side laterals 8kg x 10
calf machine to 295lb stack plus added weights x 15
500m row using towel grip in 143.1

Shoulders felt wrecked but very happy with the 500m row as i could have done it a lot quicker, plus i wasn't knackered after.
PaulSavageIcon...14-09-2013 @ 14:50 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Work yesterday

Mediumish day today, busy but nothing too heavy. Had underlay delivery. Got some cold thing so feeling s**t.

Work today

Again, pretty average day, bit heavier lifting and putting few rolls on though. Cold thing worse.
PaulSavageIcon...16-09-2013 @ 21:12 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Yesterday - off work

Today - off work

gym

bunch of full snatch practice with the bar then..

power snatch 80kg x 1,1,1
clean and jerk to 107.5kg x 1

rack pull 4" below knee
- fat gripz extreme to 132.5kg x 2
- fat gripz to 157.5kg x 2
- suited to 272.5kg x 1, 307.5kg x f

stiff leg deadlift beltless to 227.5kg x 1

leg press narrow stance to 436kg x 12

power shrugs on frame to 260kg x 15

plate loaded chest press drop set @ +160kg/120kg

Really struggled with sickness today. Actually puked in my mouth on the 307.5kg. That wasn't the only problem though, tried a narrower stance/grip and it made it way harder. Also tried it in shoes which was a mistake as it sent me proper forward. Just everything going wrong that set. Also nearly passed out on the stiff leg even though it wasn't that heavy. Figured i would black out for sure if i did front squats etc so decided do some machine stuff and play it safe.
PaulSavageIcon...20-09-2013 @ 10:24 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 20.09.2013 @ 10:35 AM by PaulSavage
Tuesday

Work - Nothing major, medium day

Wednesday

Work - Put couple rolls on etc again nothing major

Thursday

Work - Hard day, put 10 rolls on plus rack moves, back rolls and rems. Also had to lift all rolls off the floor which is tough on the forearms (no pain in wrist though). Also some VERY heavy drags (and pushing the opposite way) as pump truck a bit f**ked and heavy laminate.

Training - no chance, totally f'd an still ill

Friday

Training

Push ups on 3 inch thickbar x 15
Side laterals top half only x 20/20

Just somethinhg to keep my pressing muscles ticking over.
PaulSavageIcon...22-09-2013 @ 14:15 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Friday work - pretty rough day, complete overall of warehouse again, lot of wrist heavy lifts and underlay delivery

Saturday work - rough day again, still working on warehouse, had to shift and smash load of wooden stands, hard work was sweating a ton

Sunday work - easyish day, put tye graft in last few days to try get a bit of rest today

Struggling with weight gain right now, training hasnt been great past couple weeks, especially upperbody. Feel like i'm putting fat on and loosing muscle. Need a good week with focus on pressing next week. Want to see 130kg on the scales soon.
PaulSavageIcon...25-09-2013 @ 12:19 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Monday work - off

Training

Stiff leg deadlift to 240kg x 1
Bunch of grippers
Plate loaded squat machine 320kg x 17 PB
Plate loaded high row 160kg x 4 drop 80kg x 4
Plate loaded low one arm row 90kg x 4 drop 60kg x 4
Plate loaded decline press 180kg x 4 drop 120kg x 4

Still feel like i need more gym strength before i start on event work but struggling with it. Got a lot going on right now. Hopefully hammer shoulders and triceps in a couple days.

Tuesday work - Pretty much just cleaning all day as high up visit tomorrow. Legs and glutes completely destroyed from that squat machine yesterday. Have get some thinner plates an get some more weight on it but really hits the whole lower body well.
PaulSavageIcon...29-09-2013 @ 16:53 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Loads going on, hard to update whats happening. Basically I'm not doing the comp now, not because i'm injured or whatever, i'm almost the strongest i've been in everything even with the prep not going that great. Reason is i'm being constantly told to do boxing an stop doing strongman comps. Was planning on trying it out after the comp but keep getting told to start now an i do want to give it a proper go so suppose i'm already way behind starting at 27.

To sum up how it got started was that we got a new salesman who boxed for 12 years. He shown me some basics and within 2 day he's saying i could be british champion in 3-5 years. Obviously i thought he was either crazy or taking the piss but he's kept saying it for months an other people have said i should give it a try also. Then the other day i got in a fight, not one i started but basically i knocked the guy out with one punch, an i did it using a technique pat shown me the day before. It seems i can do some damage but who knows. One thing i have learnt is that a trained boxer is not somebody you want to mess with! An it doesnt matter how big you are. If i threw down with pat (whos 12 stone) without any training we would have smashed me up no problem an can tell you from experience that most people would have no chance. The difference even from then to now, just with him showing me some basics and some random body sparring (pretty much just comes at me an starts throwing haha) is huge.

Reasons for me potentially being a good at boxing would be..

- naturally agile, athletic and quick
- i hit hard
- i'm mentally very strong snd unlikely to ever quit on a fight no matter how its going

Reasons against me being a good boxer

- i have no experience and am getting on for 30
- i'm a fat f**k and way out of shape for a boxer
- have never been hit by a heavyweight boxer so have no idea if i have a chin

I feel like as long as i have a good enough chin, the other stuff can be dealt with. Of course i'm gonna be out experienced but honestly, theres only a couple heavyweights in britain that are even half good so its not like many been in with anybody decent.

As far as how i plan on going about this, first of all, i'm not stoping strength training, i think that would be a big mistake, and i am still planning on doing worlds strongest hands next year and still want to cert the ironmind #4. Strength training of course won't be the main focus now though. As a heavyweight, i feel theres 5 things that are very usefull, technique (timing etc), a good chin, knockout power, quickness and of course good conditioning. I think its very hard to find a heavyweight with all of them, especially a big heavyweight. Right now i'm lagging mostly in technique and conditioning so thats what i'm going to be working on the most. When i feel they have shown significant improvement i'll start doing boxing classes an go from there. Start training tomorrow.
martinbIcon...29-09-2013 @ 17:05 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Or perhaps (and realistically more likely) the guy has never been hit before or has a glass jaw, and you don't hit hard

I used to box as a student, and I used to know the sort of men who box at 27, and you do not want to go anywhere near those guys as a 27 year old who has never been hit.

Think of all the very high level strength athletes who have made a complete arse of similar ventures (and make no mistake mma is a hundred times easier to get in to)

Do whatever you enjoy, just don't think you are going to be fighting for titles, its just as likely as if you said you were going to be playing for man u by the time you were 30
unit94Icon...29-09-2013 @ 17:15 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Post Edited: 29.09.2013 @ 17:18 PM by unit94
I wouldn't plan on switching to boxing without trying it once. Knocking one bloke out doesn't make a boxer. Are you joining a boxing gym?
PaulSavageIcon...29-09-2013 @ 19:04 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 29.09.2013 @ 19:21 PM by PaulSavage
Definately less likely i play for man u as i dont like team sports! I do hit hard, honestly anybody 20 stone going to hit hard but over 900 on punch machine thing at trafford centre before i knew how to punch. I don't think that or knocking someone out makes a boxer, or that i'm going to be fighting for titles, just giving it a go an we'll see. As for staying away from most 27 year old boxers, honestly, most heavyweights in britain are completely s**te. They not in any kind of shape, have f all technique and really i have no idea how they pros. Harrisons managed to beat most of them and he throws about 6 punches a fight. They might batter me but unless the up and comers miles better than whats been out there in recent times, if we honest, id have be bloody useless. I think it's lot harder at the lower weights, not all heavyweights are true boxers.

Theres no membership at local boxing gym, start just by going doing classes when i get in bit better shape (was gonna go one tomorrow but been told would slow class down at mo as high paced)
unit94Icon...29-09-2013 @ 19:39 
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
900 is really good Tbf lol, what are these classes like? Proper boxing or more like a fitness class. Every gym I've trained at people would be doing different things instead of training in a big group.
PaulSavageIcon...29-09-2013 @ 20:01 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
unit94 said:900 is really good Tbf lol, what are these classes like? Proper boxing or more like a fitness class. Every gym I've trained at people would be doing different things instead of training in a big group.

It's a proper boxing club, been going donkeys years, but the classes are basically bag/pad work, and basic boxing exercises in a curcuit. Think it's just mainly fitness based but is like a straight hour, be knackered after 10 mins haha otherwise can go in for same money an just hit the bag and what not, private 1 on 1 training is £15 an hour. For now will be using the boxing room (is decent) at local gym just so i can use the other stuff too.
unit94Icon...29-09-2013 @ 20:14 
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Get that fitness up then!

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions