REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 228 guests

Novice Championships 2012

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Wayne_CowdreyIcon...18-11-2011 @ 09:56 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22059 posts
azz0703 said:
Im a noviceHappy lol! i agree in terms based on e. ither strength or experience, i think i did 5comps this year and did well in a few events so yes im experienced at the activities but in terms of strength or max lifts in the gym im still a novice level. Wales novice u105 i placed 7 or 8th and champs of future 4th but its everyones own opinion of what a novice is. Id go off a mixture of experiencd and weights lifted

Aaron, I think you're a much better strongman than your gym numbers would suggest.
VanillaGorillaIcon...18-11-2011 @ 10:00 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
This is a complex and tricky topic. We all have an opinion on the classifications, what makes you eligible or precludes you. No doubt these will all differ from one person to the next.

Unfortunately though until we go down the route that they have in the USA, with a governing body, predetermined classes and criteria for progression we're going to be stuck with what we have.

This spreads further to things like national titles and qualifiers for WSM etc. I think the sport needs an overhaul and restructuring from grass roots to the top level in this country, and I know how I would structure it, but it's not going to happen any time soon is it?
RodgerIcon...18-11-2011 @ 10:15 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Am I missing something...?

Why not have a:-
first timers for u90,
novice for u90
'competed couple of times before' for u90

reapeat for u105

repeat for opens
StetecIcon...18-11-2011 @ 10:48 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
VanillaGorilla said:This is a complex and tricky topic. We all have an opinion on the classifications, what makes you eligible or precludes you. No doubt these will all differ from one person to the next.

Unfortunately though until we go down the route that they have in the USA, with a governing body, predetermined classes and criteria for progression we're going to be stuck with what we have.

This spreads further to things like national titles and qualifiers for WSM etc. I think the sport needs an overhaul and restructuring from grass roots to the top level in this country, and I know how I would structure it, but it's not going to happen any time soon is it?

How would you have it? TBH it's gonna take a few of the guys who organize comps on a regular basis to get their combined heads together and come up with a standard/structure across the board.
Villa_SteIcon...18-11-2011 @ 10:55 
stingy with his letters
Member 496, 668 posts
SQ 210, BP 190, DL 230
630.0 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:This is a complex and tricky topic. We all have an opinion on the classifications, what makes you eligible or precludes you. No doubt these will all differ from one person to the next.

agree! it would stop all the confusion and maybe give strongman a little more credibility in this country. for me though i think winners of a novice should be forced up a level and consecutive top 3's should be pushed up. but i think if you're a novice and struggle to finish high then how are you expected to enter any higher levels?
azz0703Icon...18-11-2011 @ 11:30 
Member 1912, 336 posts
SQ 170, BP 135, DL 250
555.0 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
Lol thanks wayneHappy
VanillaGorillaIcon...18-11-2011 @ 11:40 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Part of the problem, as already mentioned, is the number of competitions you've done, how you've placed and your level of strength can all be taken into account when looking to categorise athletes.

I think a points system is the way to go for this.

So, three classes:

Lightweight
Intermediate
Open

These would all have a 'qualifying total, eg 10, 30 and 50. You would accrue points depending on your experience. So a 10 man lightweight competition would have 10 points up for grabs for the winner, 9 for second place down to 1 for last place. Once you have accrued a points total that takes you to a threshold you MUST move up. This would require a governing body and athlete membership, so all official competitions are recorded, like PL or WL federations.

This system is self regulating, by which I mean if you win a lightweight comp then you are at the top of that standard already, you gain 10 points and move up. If you come last then you obviously need to improve, and you have space to do that. so you could in theory do 4 competitions, and improve in terms of strength and experience, and come say 10th, 8th, 5th and third, this takes you over the 10 point threshold and you're away.

You would be able to go straight in at a higher level if you think you have the ability. Even if you are a 300kg pulling 'novice' you only get one shot at the lowest category as you would then move up anyway.

I think U90 and U105 don't need ability/experience subdivisions.

While I'm rambling, I'd like to see a structured national title too. Open qualifiers for North, Midlands, South, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland, with a grand final where the top 3 go through to WSM to avoid any of the jiggery pokery we hear about regarding invitations and one off qualifiers etc. having 3 spots would still leave a couple of places free for guys qualifying through Giants Live etc, but would give the up and coming guys more of an opportunity to break through, if they're good enough.

A bit disjointed and vague, but that's some of my thoughts on the matter Grin
siovrhylIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:27 
Wales strongest man 2012
Member 548, 1197 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 360
855.0 kgs @ 128kgs Eq
Some very good points you make there Dave, I could defiantly see a system like that being successful
JCIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:29 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
siovrhyl said:Some very good points you make there Dave, I could defiantly see a system like that being successful

Indeed he does.

But, I can't see a system like that being implemented in the forseable future TBH
WILLSANIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:35 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
my view is that there isnt any point in getting too involved with policing who does what below the regional and national comps. just leave it to the promoters to decide who can do their comps. if someone is competing below their level a) theyre most likely going to get caught out, and called out, on here and b) does it even matter that much anyway?
MatspenceIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:41 
Member 1391, 693 posts
VanillaGorilla said:Part of the problem, as already mentioned, is the number of competitions you've done, how you've placed and your level of strength can all be taken into account when looking to categorise athletes.

I think a points system is the way to go for this.

So, three classes:

Lightweight
Intermediate
Open

These would all have a 'qualifying total, eg 10, 30 and 50. You would accrue points depending on your experience. So a 10 man lightweight competition would have 10 points up for grabs for the winner, 9 for second place down to 1 for last place. Once you have accrued a points total that takes you to a threshold you MUST move up. This would require a governing body and athlete membership, so all official competitions are recorded, like PL or WL federations.

This system is self regulating, by which I mean if you win a lightweight comp then you are at the top of that standard already, you gain 10 points and move up. If you come last then you obviously need to improve, and you have space to do that. so you could in theory do 4 competitions, and improve in terms of strength and experience, and come say 10th, 8th, 5th and third, this takes you over the 10 point threshold and you're away.

You would be able to go straight in at a higher level if you think you have the ability. Even if you are a 300kg pulling 'novice' you only get one shot at the lowest category as you would then move up anyway.

I think U90 and U105 don't need ability/experience subdivisions.

While I'm rambling, I'd like to see a structured national title too. Open qualifiers for North, Midlands, South, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland, with a grand final where the top 3 go through to WSM to avoid any of the jiggery pokery we hear about regarding invitations and one off qualifiers etc. having 3 spots would still leave a couple of places free for guys qualifying through Giants Live etc, but would give the up and coming guys more of an opportunity to break through, if they're good enough.

A bit disjointed and vague, but that's some of my thoughts on the matter Grin

whats stopping this being put forward, its quite easy to get a spread sheet up and running with these details on, if there is a few ppl on here that is up to the task then why cant we just do it? who do we need permission from to get it up and running, im pretty shaw that
WILLSANIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:44 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Matspence said:
whats stopping this being put forward, its quite easy to get a spread sheet up and running with these details on, if there is a few ppl on here that is up to the task then why cant we just do it? who do we need permission from to get it up and running, im pretty shaw that

you will never get all the promoters in the country singing on the same hymn sheet for something like this imo.
MatspenceIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:47 
Member 1391, 693 posts
why cant we not liaise with these?

http://www.wnsfworld.com/wnsf_worldpartners_ksa.html

would that not bring the sport forward in this country???
Villa_SteIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:47 
stingy with his letters
Member 496, 668 posts
SQ 210, BP 190, DL 230
630.0 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
Matspence said:

the problem with that is there's comps that go on that isn't on this website. plus i'd of thought its hard enough running some of these comps with out having to worry about submitting points etc.

would definitely need a governing body for such a thing
WILLSANIcon...18-11-2011 @ 12:51 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Matspence said:why cant we not liaise with these?

http://www.wnsfworld.com/wnsf_worldpartners_ksa.html

would that not bring the sport forward in this country???

all that glitters is not gold. Wink

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions