REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 214 guests
You are here: HomeForumNutritionIs bacon good for you?

Is bacon good for you?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

king_mobIcon...16-10-2012 @ 10:15 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 16.10.2012 @ 10:17 AM by king_mob
davycummings said:
I find your response interesating mate. You are vegan right? Yet, you seem unusual in that you can see benefits in eating meat, think it tastes good, and are happy to encourage others to eat it. This seems to go against everything I thought i knew about speaking to vegans about food.
Knowing all the above, why are you vegan?

Thats a fair enough observation mate. Prepare for a bit of an essay though...

Basically my reasons for being vegan are ethical, im not under any illusions of the health benefits over a carnivorous diet - far from it, the availability of key minerals and nutrients in animal protein, combined with the general deficit of key nutrients in most plant based diets means i actually think, based on the science available, that an animal based diet is healthier.

The paleo guys, i mean the real ones like robb wolf, chris kresser, kurt harris, they really did their homework and you cant argue with the evidence they present. At least i can't. But then i dont try, my arguement is that you can be perfectly healthy on an exclusive plant based diet with appropriate food choices and some supplementation. Maybe not optimal but not in any way detrimental.

The OP asked if bacon was good for him, so i gave him an objective answer. I dont particularly try to encourage or discourage, the facts are the facts and thats what he was asking about. If he asked "is it a humane thing to eat bacon?" then my answer would be different, although i really try and avoid getting into discussions like that on the internet.

((EDIT - reading back i can see how my "dive in mate" was pretty encouraging, oh well should think before posting i guess))

Here's the thing - my philosophy is that its just plain f**king wrong for me to act like i can be the judge of people, or for anyone else to act like they have the right to judge me for that matter. Your choices in life are your own, im not anyones parent, im not responsible for their actions, im not going to waste my own and other peoples time by getting in their faces about the things they do.

Its their life and theirs to do with as they want. The information regarding veganism is out there, they can google it if they want to and apply it they find they agree with it. Or not, i dont really care if im honest, im going to do what i see as the right thing regardless.

Do i think the meat industry is inhumane? Well yeah. Do i think people should not eat meat? Yes to a degree. Am i going to try and push my ideals and values onto other people? f**k no.
ItsaSecretIcon...16-10-2012 @ 10:19 
close to being re-banned
Member 3955, 822 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 250
610.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Fatpete said:Bacon is f**king gorgeous, it also gives longer-lasting, firmer erections

would u suggest bacon for tren abusers such as yourself

only joking don't go hitler on my angus
macrothIcon...16-10-2012 @ 10:19 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Having such an ethical yet non-militant stance is a rare and admirable thing.
davycummingsIcon...16-10-2012 @ 10:24 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
king_mob said:
Thats a fair enough observation mate. Prepare for a bit of an essay though...
Basically my reasons for being vegan are ethical, im not under any illusions of the health benefits over a carnivorous diet - far from it, the availability of key minerals and nutrients in animal protein, combined with the general deficit of key nutrients in most plant based diets means i actually think, based on the science available, that an animal based diet is healthier.
The paleo guys, i mean the real ones like robb wolf, chris kresser, kurt harris, they really did their homework and you cant argue with the evidence they present. At least i can't. But then i dont try, my arguement is that you can be perfectly healthy on an exclusive plant based diet with appropriate food choices and some supplementation. Maybe not optimal but not in any way detrimental.
The OP asked if bacon was good for him, so i gave him an objective answer. I dont particularly try to encourage or discourage, the facts are the facts and thats what he was asking about. If he asked "is it a humane thing to eat bacon?" then my answer would be different, although i really try and avoid getting into discussions like that on the internet.
Here's the thing - my philosophy is that its just plain f**king wrong for me to act like i can be the judge of people, or for anyone else to act like they have the right to judge me for that matter. Your choices in life are your own, im not anyones parent, im not responsible for their actions, im not going to waste my own and other peoples time by getting in their faces about the things they do.
Its their life and theirs to do with as they want. The information regarding veganism is out there, they can google it if they want to and apply it they find they agree with it. Or not, i dont really care if im honest, im going to do what i see as the right thing regardless.
Do i think the meat industry is inhumane? Well yeah. Do i think people should not eat meat? Yes to a degree. Am i going to try and push my ideals and values onto other people? f**k no.

This is the part I find interesting mate. I like the fact that you can be objective about the subject, whilst keeping your own ethical standpoint. I have tended to find many vegans to be like the jehovas that come to the door, so its a refreshing change
chaosIcon...16-10-2012 @ 10:38 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
davycummings said:
This is the part I find interesting mate. I like the fact that you can be objective about the subject, whilst keeping your own ethical standpoint. I have tended to find many vegans to be like the jehovas that come to the door, so its a refreshing change

Joni is a nutmuncher too and he keeps his raving philosophies to himself Grin

Bacon rules, but I do use an alternative when at work cos its hard to cook tasty bacon in a microwave! I use proscuitto or parma ham with my scrambled eggs in morning. Just tear up pieces fo ham and chuck it in eggs as soon a s they come out of microwave and it gts very gently cooked and crisps up a little bit and its well nice!
king_mobIcon...16-10-2012 @ 11:17 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
macroth said:Having such an ethical yet non-militant stance is a rare and admirable thing.

when you hear horror stories about some dick heads kicking in a local butchers shop (not a tesco's mind, just some working class bloke who ran his dad's shop after he died), you really start to question the ethics of some of the more militant approaches to veganism.

f**k being a food nazi, not when there's real fash to bash.
king_mobIcon...16-10-2012 @ 11:22 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
davycummings said:

yeah mate i just dont get it sometimes, if you want to convince someone that youv got this great idea then fine, but why try and force them to agree with you? Or if they dont want to enter into a dialogue about it why try and push it on them?

Funnily enough most of the encounters iv had arguing with meat eaters is when one of them overhears or finds out im a vegan, and then starts up with "oh i bet you wanna have a right go at me for eating meat then?" which i obviously dont, so i normally just chin the c**t and the whole situation calms down Tongue
dr_hazbunIcon...16-10-2012 @ 12:07 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
I have had bacon every day for the last 3 days. (I love it in pasta)
CuddlesIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:16 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
dr_hazbun said:I have had bacon every day for the last 3 days. (I love it in pasta)

I pretty much have bacon every day of the week. Normally at least a BLT baguette mid morning.
RicoIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:26 
Sugdens very own David Dimbleby
Member 1403, 3716 posts
SQ 220, BP 115, DL 260
595.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
I'm eating bacon right now. Accompanied by chicken, onion, garlic, chicken stock and risotto rice. AKA bacon and chicken risotto.
dr_hazbunIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:29 
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Rico said:I'm eating bacon right now. Accompanied by chicken, onion, garlic, chicken stock and risotto rice. AKA bacon and chicken risotto.

I throw it in pasta.

My favourite is pasta, leeks, chillis, bacon, mushrooms, garlic, creme fraiche, grated cheese on top.

Lovely!
RicoIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:35 
Sugdens very own David Dimbleby
Member 1403, 3716 posts
SQ 220, BP 115, DL 260
595.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:
I throw it in pasta.
My favourite is pasta, leeks, chillis, bacon, mushrooms, garlic, creme fraiche, grated cheese on top.
Lovely!

I pretty much am gonna do this after training. Albeit minus leeks cos i dont have then and mushrooms cos i detest them. Otherwise game on!
BigMaccaIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:56 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9943 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Bacon is good - I had 12 rashers yesterday Happy
MrSmallIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:57 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:Bacon is good - I had 12 rashers yesterday Happy

You a streaky or back man, Paul?
dr_hazbunIcon...16-10-2012 @ 13:59 
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
MrSmall said:
You a streaky or back man, Paul?

joker

You are here: HomeForumNutritionIs bacon good for you?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions