You are here: HomeForumNutritionFlexible Dieting IIFYM

Flexible Dieting IIFYM

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

PeteHodgsonIcon...17-05-2015 @ 18:14 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Cheers chaps. Helps clear things up. I suppose in my past experiences I've found the breakdown of macros (and perhaps also, but to a lesser extent-timing) has 'seemed' to have more of a bearing on fat loss than cals in versus out. However, I stress 'seemed' as I haven't ever counted cals on my higher fat low carb (backload stylee) diet.
PeteHodgsonIcon...17-05-2015 @ 18:21 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
kirkynick said:What's a typical day's eating for you Pete?

Wake at 7. Bcaas. Walk/work till 2. Maybe pre workout. Train. Post workout drink. Followed by 4-6 egg omelette with cheese and spinach or a meat based meal and salad. Followed by a few eggs mixed with protein powder and cream done in microwave. Later on tea would be neat, veg, rice/spuds. Later on again some fruit/cereal/pancake ( carb meal)
The above is obviously a training day when I've trained in the afternoon. Sometimes I train later so will avoid carbs till after I've trained if possible. On none training days I won't have a carb based last meal, I'll have protein/fat instead.
SawyersIcon...17-05-2015 @ 18:30 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Cheers chaps. Helps clear things up. I suppose in my past experiences I've found the breakdown of macros (and perhaps also, but to a lesser extent-timing) has 'seemed' to have more of a bearing on fat loss than cals in versus out. However, I stress 'seemed' as I haven't ever counted cals on my higher fat low carb (backload stylee) diet.

By going high/low carb etc, you may have by default hitting the appropriate calories. The only difference with tracking it is that you will be aware of it.

e.g. people that do intermittent fasting to lose weight, that would be considered meal timing which is lower down the hierarchy, BUT, due to the nature of timing then end up consuming less calories overall and that's what drives the weight loss. Its just that the timing helps then to adhere. (Disclaimer - there are probably hormonal effects, but id still wager that cals in vs out play a bigger role in healthy individuals. I'm not overly well read regarding the research around IF though so don't know specifics.)
JohnGymIcon...17-05-2015 @ 18:32 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.05.2015 @ 18:35 PM by JohnGym
You seem to have great self discipline too Pete. I think IIFYM works better for people like me. Gluttonous fat wasters with no full switch and relentless cravings for junk.
PeteHodgsonIcon...17-05-2015 @ 18:42 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Lol.
Whatever the reason it works 'ok' although I haven't yet got as lean as I want and don't seem to be changing too much atm. I've recently stopped having quite so much crap cereal in favour of more fruit, also I was having fat in my last meal until recently so these changes might help.
I think I have reasonBle will power john, and rarely crave junk food. Ironically these last 2 days I've been recovering from a stomach bug/squits! And haven't felt like eating my usual stuff so have had a pie, butties, biscuits!! I'm probably lighter and fatter again after a 2 day bug ffs. Lol
BoarIcon...17-05-2015 @ 19:38 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25565 posts
Administrator
Pete has lots of 'supplements' in his kitchen, within reach of the children he likes to watch !
PhillippeHalterIcon...17-05-2015 @ 20:12 
Are horror films healthy...?
Member 5449, 2203 posts
PeteHodgson said:
Wake at 7. Bcaas. Walk/work till 2. Maybe pre workout. Train. Post workout drink. Followed by 4-6 egg omelette with cheese and spinach or a meat based meal and salad. Followed by a few eggs mixed with protein powder and cream done in microwave. Later on tea would be neat, veg, rice/spuds. Later on again some fruit/cereal/pancake ( carb meal)
The above is obviously a training day when I've trained in the afternoon. Sometimes I train later so will avoid carbs till after I've trained if possible. On none training days I won't have a carb based last meal, I'll have protein/fat instead.

Just out of curiosity how does this effect your strenuous cardiovascular exercise and fitness work...?

I find that I have to fuel my sessions where I'm trying to really work hard for a prolonged period or I have multiple tough sessions in a day
BoarIcon...17-05-2015 @ 20:15 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25565 posts
Administrator
He doesn't do any
PeteHodgsonIcon...17-05-2015 @ 20:47 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Boar said:He doesn't do any

What he said.
FazcIcon...17-05-2015 @ 20:55 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
I think more than likely once the initial "eat whatever the f**k I want to eat!" gets out of your system, you'll probably move back to healthier food. Consistent junk every single day just makes me feel like utter s**t.
Ramsay777Icon...17-05-2015 @ 21:15 
Member 3942, 1107 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 315
675.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.05.2015 @ 21:16 PM by Ramsay777
Me and my training buddies have had decent success with a IIFYM approach in the past, not much use if you wanna get in to stage condition but it's easy to stick to and maintain a lean-ish body comp, I need to start following a plan again and I'll go back to this. Eating way too much s**t right now and it's not good!

It's great if you're dieting over summer and attending BBQs etc!
deleted2_20210523Icon...18-05-2015 @ 07:07 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
SteveIcon...18-05-2015 @ 07:36 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
I find it very difficult to accept that "calories are king"

Throw a log on the fire then throw the same energy value of petrol - pretty different outcomes from the same amount of calories.

If I eat a huge protein meal I'll be dripping with sweat, the same certainly doesn't occur with a couple a Mars bars. Same calories completely different results. How can the effect on weight gain/loss possibly be the same?
JohnGymIcon...18-05-2015 @ 08:26 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Steve said:I find it very difficult to accept that "calories are king"

Throw a log on the fire then throw the same energy value of petrol - pretty different outcomes from the same amount of calories.

If I eat a huge protein meal I'll be dripping with sweat, the same certainly doesn't occur with a couple a Mars bars. Same calories completely different results. How can the effect on weight gain/loss possibly be the same?

Don't know Steve but so far for me it appears to be. I'm 4kg down so far. Main focus has been calories followed by macros. 3 meals per day. Pizza and chocolate most days.
There are plenty of people in incredible shape who swear by this method.
SawyersIcon...18-05-2015 @ 09:25 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
Steve said:I find it very difficult to accept that "calories are king"

Calories are just the unit of energy measurement used for food.
The first law of thermodynamics is that that the total energy of an isolated system is constant; energy can be transformed from one form to another, but cannot be created or destroyed.

Therefore inputs must equal outputs in various forms.

The mars bars vs protein.
If you have 3000cal of mars bars vs 3000cal of protein, you will have different effects of course, this comes down to the second point I made earlier, which is the macronutrient ratios.

However, if the primary aim is to loose weight, then it does not matter where those calories come from(in its simplest form). If somebody in total burns 3000cals a day and only consumes 2000cal a day, it doesn't matter if its from mars bars or from protein. The effect will be a 1000cal deficit which will in turn result in energy(weight) loss from the system(the body).

Of course there will be a variability in what happens, whether the weight loss is muscle/fat/other. But at the end of the day, if there is an energy deficit it has to come from somewhere.

Say eating 10000cals of protein and the healthiest food in the world vs eating 1000cal of mars bars. The person eating only 1000cal will loose the most weight.

Will it be good for them - No.
Will it be optimal - No.
Will they loose weight - Without a doubt yes.

This isn't something to have an opinion about in if it works or not. There are so many variables to consider. Its just like performing a science experiment with your own body, the more variables you consistently track the more accurately you can determine which ones have an effect on the changes you see.

You are here: HomeForumNutritionFlexible Dieting IIFYM
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions