You are here: HomeForumNutritionFlexible Dieting IIFYM

Flexible Dieting IIFYM

Users viewing topic: & 3 Guests

PeteHodgsonIcon...15-05-2015 @ 21:37 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Some of these diets that are in vogue atm tend to look more like a standard persons diet than anything else. Or even a weight watchers type of diet.
McMuffin_GainsIcon...15-05-2015 @ 21:38 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Hi carb, low fat, 1700 calories to play with? - just drink beer! Haha
SawyersIcon...15-05-2015 @ 21:44 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Some of these diets that are in vogue atm tend to look more like a standard persons diet than anything else. Or even a weight watchers type of diet.

I agree with this.

The only difference between this and weight watchers is in what you are tracking. Weight watchers is points (I believe) whereas this is just the specific make up of food. At the end of the day it's calorie counting. Since the biggest factor for weight manipulation will be energy into the system and energy out.

A huge benefit of something like this, in my opinion, is that it makes people aware of what they are eating and what it does to their body. I do think it is over the top for your 'normal' person. However, in the training population where the human body is essentially being used as an experiment using exercise and nutrition(amongst others) as variables, it pays to keep a track of them, to make progress over time.

Again, I don't think it's necessary, I just think it's a really useful tool to have when manipulating body composition/performance.
JohnGymIcon...15-05-2015 @ 21:51 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Sawyers said:
I agree with this.
The only difference between this and weight watchers is in what you are tracking. Weight watchers is points (I believe) whereas this is just the specific make up of food. At the end of the day it's calorie counting. Since the biggest factor for weight manipulation will be energy into the system and energy out.
A huge benefit of something like this, in my opinion, is that it makes people aware of what they are eating and what it does to their body. I do think it is over the top for your 'normal' person. However, in the training population where the human body is essentially being used as an experiment using exercise and nutrition(amongst others) as variables, it pays to keep a track of them, to make progress over time.
Again, I don't think it's necessary, I just think it's a really useful tool to have when manipulating body composition/performance.

Definitely.

Pete, i don't just want to be 'lighter', I want to be shredded. To do that I need a plan. Lots of plans exist, this is one. It works and allows me to eat some s**t each day which helps with adherence too.
JohnGymIcon...15-05-2015 @ 21:52 
Member 1107, 6964 posts
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Sawyers said:
No problem. Another useful thing is to have some 1 macronutrient foods. Incase you have one group left over.
So I use: whey for protein
Fruit/fruit juice/sweets(occasionally) for carbs
And oils/peanut butter/Nutella for fats.
I know they're not completely one macronutrient but they make it easy to hit them. Another thing is to not worry about 'borrowing' macros from other days. Since at the end of the week/month etc it won't make any difference, since as you say it's not for prepping to step on a stage or anything. So for example ive finished my food from the day previously, then gone out with the Mrs or whatever, then just took that meals macros from the next day's food. Or vice versa if you under eat.

Class.
JohnGymIcon...15-05-2015 @ 21:54 
Member 1107, 6964 posts
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Some of these diets that are in vogue atm tend to look more like a standard persons diet than anything else. Or even a weight watchers type of diet.

I am a standard person! Lol
MidEIcon...15-05-2015 @ 22:03 
Member 5554, 190 posts
SQ 212.5, BP 150, DL 245
607.5 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
I've been flexible dieting for a while. Love it. I reckon unless you need to be a stage ready body builder it's great for everyone. For low fat highish carb food i normally have

One banana
200g fat free Greek yogurt
50gs of oats
10grams of honey
50grams of blueberries.

Works out to about 450 cals, 75carbs, 25protein and 4.5 fat. Can add peanut butter for some more fat or some whey for more protein.
DrDIcon...17-05-2015 @ 17:17 
#IStandByMillsy
Member 4287, 2614 posts
SQ 300, BP 310, DL 250
860.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
Post Edited: 17.05.2015 @ 17:18 PM by DrD
Today's 'black cherry crunch desert'
2 tubs of activia low fat cherry yoghurt, 2 scoop chocolate whey. Whip together. Then add 30g cocopops and 40g crunchy nut cornflakes. Mix.

14g fat, 114g carbs, 64g protein. 830kcal.
deleted2_20210523Icon...17-05-2015 @ 17:23 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
PeteHodgsonIcon...17-05-2015 @ 17:27 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
What I'm wondering though, is wether it takes into account the different effects carbs/fats/proteins have on our bodies/metabolism etc.? Using a standard breakdown of macros for everyone may not work. Or is all that high fat low carb stuff rubbish? I've had good results from higher fat/lower carbs. But I've not tracked cals so I may be on less than I think.
deleted2_20210523Icon...17-05-2015 @ 17:30 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
JohnGymIcon...17-05-2015 @ 17:34 
Member 1107, 6964 posts
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:What I'm wondering though, is wether it takes into account the different effects carbs/fats/proteins have on our bodies/metabolism etc.? Using a standard breakdown of macros for everyone may not work. Or is all that high fat low carb stuff rubbish? I've had good results from higher fat/lower carbs. But I've not tracked cals so I may be on less than I think.

You can do IIFYM with high fat low carbs if you want. It's entirely up to you how you want to split your macros.
Ultimately calories are king. Hit you cals and protein requirements and youre winning.

I'm just about to eat a pizza and some chocolate. I'll post some pictures in a few weeks when I'm lean.
SawyersIcon...17-05-2015 @ 17:48 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.05.2015 @ 17:51 PM by Sawyers
PeteHodgson said:What I'm wondering though, is wether it takes into account the different effects carbs/fats/proteins have on our bodies/metabolism etc.? Using a standard breakdown of macros for everyone may not work. Or is all that high fat low carb stuff rubbish? I've had good results from higher fat/lower carbs. But I've not tracked cals so I may be on less than I think.

Here is where a lot of people misunderstand 'IIFYM'.

I assume you're familiar with the 80/20 principle? i.e. 80% of the outcome can usually be attributed to 20% of the inputs.

With nutrition, the biggest chunk of changes regarding performance/body composition will come from calories in vs calories out. Then the individual macronutrient ratios will be the next part of the puzzle.

Literally all you're doing with IIFYM is monitoring what you're eating and making it fit within certain parameters.

The videos I posted explain this brilliantly but essentially the hierarchy of nutrition (for a normal, healthy individual) would be something like:

1. Calories in vs out - (eat more if gaining, less if losing, maintenance if neither.)
2. Macronutrients
a) - So for a strength athlete, protein intake of 1g/lb. is generally a good starting point.
b) - Fats would be next, since they are a factor in various normal functions etc., generally starting around 25-35% of calories.
c) - Carbs last, to fill up remaining calories. In general carbs help performance, this will of course be individual.
3. Micronutrients, Fibre - The quality of what is eaten, micronutrient dense foods will generally make you feel/perform better. Fibre to keep your bowels functioning well.
4. Meal timing - timing different foods around training etc., I don't mean making yourself eat X amount of meals, I mean eating at times that help you perform well, again up to the individual.
5. Supplements etc., creatine, pre workout etc.

So the general idea would be, sort out number 1 first, then when you're on the right lines there then worry about 2 then 3 etc. Each step down will carry less and less of an impact. So for regular gym goer, he may only need to have a general idea of 1 and 2.a, but a world class athlete will no doubt have all bases covered. Of course none of this is necessary for anyone to do and I've said before its just a tool.

Also, just because you count your macros/calories doesn't mean you cant still have low/high carb etc.
Edit: Meaning, once you've got a step under control, then there will be some trial and error to find what ratios etc you feel/perform best with. So say for myself, a normal day will be moderate protein, high carb and low fat, since over time I've found that's what I feel and perform best with. It will be variable depending on the individual.

The main premise is that if you follow that hierarchy it takes away the things that people often worry about. Say for example how many people are worrying about number 4 and 5 but are chronically over consuming calories then wondering why they're not loosing weight.

So for most guys who are going round in circles, there is no point in stressing over having their post workout shake within a certain time frame if their total daily protein is only 80grams.
SawyersIcon...17-05-2015 @ 17:55 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:
You can do IIFYM with high fat low carbs if you want. It's entirely up to you how you want to split your macros.
Ultimately calories are king. Hit you cals and protein requirements and youre winning.
I'm just about to eat a pizza and some chocolate. I'll post some pictures in a few weeks when I'm lean.

If you don't want to read my mini essay.. This is basically what I said too.
JohnGymIcon...17-05-2015 @ 17:58 
Member 1107, 6964 posts
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Sawyers said:
Here is where a lot of people misunderstand 'IIFYM'.
I assume you're familiar with the 80/20 principle? i.e. 80% of the outcome can usually be attributed to 20% of the inputs.
With nutrition, the biggest chunk of changes regarding performance/body composition will come from calories in vs calories out. Then the individual macronutrient ratios will be the next part of the puzzle.
Literally all you're doing with IIFYM is monitoring what you're eating and making it fit within certain parameters.
The videos I posted explain this brilliantly but essentially the hierarchy of nutrition (for a normal, healthy individual) would be something like:
1. Calories in vs out - (eat more if gaining, less if losing, maintenance if neither.)
2. Macronutrients
a) - So for a strength athlete, protein intake of 1g/lb. is generally a good starting point.
b) - Fats would be next, since they are a factor in various normal functions etc., generally starting around 25-35% of calories.
c) - Carbs last, to fill up remaining calories. In general carbs help performance, this will of course be individual.
3. Micronutrients, Fibre - The quality of what is eaten, micronutrient dense foods will generally make you feel/perform better. Fibre to keep your bowels functioning well.
4. Meal timing - timing different foods around training etc., I don't mean making yourself eat X amount of meals, I mean eating at times that help you perform well, again up to the individual.
5. Supplements etc., creatine, pre workout etc.
So the general idea would be, sort out number 1 first, then when you're on the right lines there then worry about 2 then 3 etc. Each step down will carry less and less of an impact. So for regular gym goer, he may only need to have a general idea of 1 and 2.a, but a world class athlete will no doubt have all bases covered. Of course none of this is necessary for anyone to do and I've said before its just a tool.
Also, just because you count your macros/calories doesn't mean you cant still have low/high carb etc.
Edit: Meaning, once you've got a step under control, then there will be some trial and error to find what ratios etc you feel/perform best with. So say for myself, a normal day will be moderate protein, high carb and low fat, since over time I've found that's what I feel and perform best with. It will be variable depending on the individual.
The main premise is that if you follow that hierarchy it takes away the things that people often worry about. Say for example how many people are worrying about number 4 and 5 but are chronically over consuming calories then wondering why they're not loosing weight.
So for most guys who are going round in circles, there is no point in stressing over having their post workout shake within a certain time frame if their total daily protein is only 80grams.

Again, quality reporting.

You are here: HomeForumNutritionFlexible Dieting IIFYM
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions