REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 166 guests

AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg.

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

12345678910 ... ... 2324252627282930313233

AMH_PowerIcon...11-01-2022 @ 21:27 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
As promised. 14 years of learning on 3 pages of A4.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C82_nkK1vjKZuYzrvGyiSuHnrWfxnfR_/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105250859069022658005&rtpof=true&sd=true


Largely accredited to Bonadarchuk(structure) and Fred Hatfield(selection concepts).

Happy to answer any questions
danbaseleyIcon...11-01-2022 @ 21:39 
Avatar
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 11.01.2022 @ 21:42 PM by danbaseley
The man's a genius: and the proof is in the pudding.

250kg bench is just ridiculous.

I will commence this tomorrow.
danbaseleyIcon...11-01-2022 @ 21:54 
Avatar
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
So:

6 weeks/20 sessions: Prep Block

6 weeks/20 sessions (exercise group A) + 6 weeks/20 sessions (exercise group B): For two separate Development Blocks

Acquisition Block.

Would the Acquisition Block be shorter: 2-3 weeks?
AMH_PowerIcon...11-01-2022 @ 22:13 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 11.01.2022 @ 22:17 PM by AMH_Power
danbaseley said:So:

6 weeks/20 sessions: Prep Block

6 weeks/20 sessions (exercise group A) + 6 weeks/20 sessions (exercise group B): For two separate Development Blocks

Acquisition Block.

Would the Acquisition Block be shorter: 2-3 weeks?



sooo without complicating s**t, instead of sequential development blocks, you can actually create two sessions (session A, session B) and alternate between them to create 40 sessions in total.
I recommend this AFTER a normal block to confirm TTP.

Basically, your TTP will be pretty much identical to the prep block, and you'll know it because you'll have 3 s**t SFE lifts in a row (the single @8).

for example, my SFE log does this:

1@185
1@195
1@190
1@200
1@200
1@195
1@210
1@207.5
1@210
1@212.5
1@205
1@210
1@215
1@220
1@210
1@225
1@205
1@205
1@200
1@205

So my personal TTP is 16 exposures; I'd align this up with my acquisition block. My 16th session would be the meet/test. Note that my log here; the TTP isn't where it was highest, its where it was GOOD before it failed to improve over 3-4 sessions. I've repeated 20 exposures multiple times now and I know for sure that my TTP is 16, as 17/18/19/20 just drops or stagnates. I'd always use a third confirmation 's**t' session to be sure, then repeat on the next block for a bigger confirmation.

So for me, a prep block would be 16 exposures, a dev block 16/16/16 exposures, and then the acquisition 16 expsosures.

My step son has a TTP of 27 exposures. He recently benched 125kg@84kg, 13 years old (squatted 205, and deadlifted 215kg).


Also, deadlift and squat have a unique TTP unlinked to bench. So you may get more dev cycles of one lift in vs the other... I'd just work them all backwards from a comp date.

My training literally cycles:

Squat
Bench
Dead
Bench...

Some weeks I'll see 3 sessions, others as much as 6 subject to how I'm feeling, stress etc. Unlinking fixed days is great, means if life prevents a session, you dont miss out, you just rotate through.

*edit, or ammend training frequency so TTP aligns with the test, even if it means increasing or lower frequency randomly on random weeks to ensure alignment. The TTP doesn't change even with higher or lower frequency; what does is the size in improvement (little and often, vs large less so often).

If someone fails to improve on their test set of each session, then (providing exercise selection is valid):

They are feeling good... increase total sets
They feel s**t... decrease total sets.

Revise. Act on the data
danbaseleyIcon...11-01-2022 @ 22:19 
Avatar
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:

My step son has a TTP of 27 exposures. He recently benched 125kg@84kg, 13 years old (squatted 205, and deadlifted 215kg).




Eek Eek Eek Eek
AMH_PowerIcon...11-01-2022 @ 22:23 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:
Eek Eek Eek Eek


Correction, he's now 14 as of Xmas day... But he did the above lifts prior. Also he likes to tell people he's 90kg, he's more like 89kg, on an evening, full dressed...

Anyway, give him a follow if you are on insta:

https://www.instagram.com/fin_lifts/
danbaseleyIcon...11-01-2022 @ 22:25 
Avatar
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Thanks very much for that Aaron.

I think I will have a little play around with this (by way of the SDE, SPE and GPE) for Bench, Squat and Deadlift.

My knees - and the rest of me - has never liked the "typical" block periodisation of multiple sets a la 5 sets of 6@75%.

I feel so beaten up - and so inflamed - from that type of work, that I can never finish.
danbaseleyIcon...11-01-2022 @ 22:27 
Avatar
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Correction, he's now 14 as of Xmas day... But he did the above lifts prior. Also he likes to tell people he's 90kg, he's more like 89kg, on an evening, full dressed...
Anyway, give him a follow if you are on insta:
https://www.instagram.com/fin_lifts/


I hope I am as strong as him one day!!!!! Roll-Eyes Grin
AMH_PowerIcon...11-01-2022 @ 22:28 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 11.01.2022 @ 22:29 PM by AMH_Power
danbaseley said:Thanks very much for that Aaron.

I think I will have a little play around with this (by way of the SDE, SPE and GPE) for Bench, Squat and Deadlift.

My knees - and the rest of me - has never liked the "typical" block periodisation of multiple sets a la 5 sets of 6@75%.

I feel so beaten up - and so inflamed - from that type of work, that I can never finish.


The biggest realisation for me of the last few year was that high rep sets with the comp lifts are FAR from optimal.

Address the skill that's lacking, or address the muscle that's lacking.

Granted, the competition lifts will make the weakness graft hard, but it adds fatigue to the rest of the system that doesn't need to exist, which f**ks up the rest of training.

I'll never, ever, ever do greater than 3 reps on normal bench press again... and I'm nowhere near as good as I'm going to be.
NimbleIcon...12-01-2022 @ 04:15 
Avatar
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Great stuff all round.

Strange that you've got more knowledge and more practical credibility than a lot of people that make quite lucrative careers out of this stuff... and here it is shared on an obscure forum for free. A lot of books on these sort of subjects only really have 2-3 pages of info in them too, its just stretched out over 100.
AMH_PowerIcon...12-01-2022 @ 07:36 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Nimble said:Great stuff all round.

Strange that you've got more knowledge and more practical credibility than a lot of people that make quite lucrative careers out of this stuff... and here it is shared on an obscure forum for free. A lot of books on these sort of subjects only really have 2-3 pages of info in them too, its just stretched out over 100.


I could absolutely stretch it out to 100 pages haha. Thanks mate
rawlifterIcon...12-01-2022 @ 13:02 
Member 5584, 304 posts
SQ 225, BP 157.5, DL 260
642.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Am I reading this correct that for Bench that would be roughly 16 sets 3 times a week in your example.


Are Deads and Squat the same programming - so would be potentially 48 sets a session x 3 times a week?

Im probably completely misunderstanding
AMH_PowerIcon...12-01-2022 @ 13:58 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
rawlifter said:Am I reading this correct that for Bench that would be roughly 16 sets 3 times a week in your example.


Are Deads and Squat the same programming - so would be potentially 48 sets a session x 3 times a week?

Im probably completely misunderstanding


16 total sets in the session divided down by the exercise types... The division allocation depends on the block.

A typical week for me may look like:
Mon: squat
Tue: bench
Wed: dead
Thu: bench
Fri: squat
Sat: bench
Sun: rest

Obviously the following week be starting with dead. I literally toggle upper/lower and just rotate through my exposures.

16 sets was just an example, but some of my lifters (for example, Kieran Grey) does more despite being heavy and advanced. Frequency may influence the sets. I'd look at historic training to get a gauge.

Keep in mind, GPE slots count, despite usually having a different fatigue. The other 3 classes will typically share fatigue.
AMH_PowerIcon...12-01-2022 @ 14:04 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
rawlifter said:Am I reading this correct that for Bench that would be roughly 16 sets 3 times a week in your example.


Are Deads and Squat the same programming - so would be potentially 48 sets a session x 3 times a week?

Im probably completely misunderstanding


Also, squat and deadlift have different tolerances too.

So for example, my bench is actually 20 total sets in session (despite my example saying 16), my squat is 15, and deadlift 12.

I used to swear by squat and bench in the same session, I'd sooner favour higher gym frequency to allow for dedicated squat, bench and dead sessions. For a lower frequency, you could distribute load types, for example:

Session A
SFE Squat
SDE bench
SPE deadlift
GPE Squat

Session B
SFE bench
SDE deadlift etc etc

Just distribute the exercise set up. Keep in mind, this will extend the TTP and adds more variables so makes it harder to predict.
rawlifterIcon...12-01-2022 @ 14:56 
Member 5584, 304 posts
SQ 225, BP 157.5, DL 260
642.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
16 total sets in the session divided down by the exercise types... The division allocation depends on the block.
A typical week for me may look like:
Mon: squat
Tue: bench
Wed: dead
Thu: bench
Fri: squat
Sat: bench
Sun: rest
Obviously the following week be starting with dead. I literally toggle upper/lower and just rotate through my exposures.
16 sets was just an example, but some of my lifters (for example, Kieran Grey) does more despite being heavy and advanced. Frequency may influence the sets. I'd look at historic training to get a gauge.
Keep in mind, GPE slots count, despite usually having a different fatigue. The other 3 classes will typically share fatigue.



Ok so ignoring the number of sets - is their guidance to how often/how to schedule in the 3 lifts? or am i missing?

12345678910 ... ... 2324252627282930313233

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions