A hairy, slightly ginger mans attempt at strongman

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 242526 ... 110111112113114115116117118119120

Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-09-2012 @ 13:13 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22050 posts
TravisFandango said:
Super result! Well done Mr 87!

I'm liking the Mr *insert number* lark Mr Travis! If we're having numbers I'd like to be Mr 1... because of my 1 rep habbit, rather than me having an over-inflated opinion of my status.
TravisFandangoIcon...24-09-2012 @ 13:20 
Member 1093, 5446 posts
SQ 160, BP 105, DL 225
490.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
I'm liking the Mr *insert number* lark Mr Travis! If we're having numbers I'd like to be Mr 1... because of my 1 rep habbit, rather than me having an over-inflated opinion of my status.

It's only being employed in a Sugden user name sense for me at the moment Mr Wayne. If you'd have been called 'Wayne_1' I'd have been happy to oblige.
TravisFandangoIcon...24-09-2012 @ 14:12 
Member 1093, 5446 posts
SQ 160, BP 105, DL 225
490.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Daws87 said:Travis - Thank you Mr Fandango Grin I also hope you will be joining us on the 7th for some events filled fun?

Unfortunatley I won't be able to make it, it's an owl visiting weekend.
A few of us going to Gym 1 in Luton this Saturday though if you fancy it?
EDCLARKEIcon...24-09-2012 @ 14:37 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10988 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
well done mate joint 2nd is a great result.
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 15:07 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
TravisFandango said:
Unfortunatley I won't be able to make it, it's an owl visiting weekend.
A few of us going to Gym 1 in Luton this Saturday though if you fancy it?

I will have to let you know about saturday depends how bad the lat is and how good the bank balance looks.
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 15:08 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
EDCLARKE said:well done mate joint 2nd is a great result.

Thanks bud well chuffed with the result Happy
ALWEBB72Icon...24-09-2012 @ 17:38 
Is wasting away !!! will be down to 30 stone soon
Member 1649, 2160 posts
SQ 290, BP 235, DL 325
850.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
great result mate well done
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 18:17 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
Sunday 23rd September 2012

Essex Strongest Man Novice -

I do apologise for the delay in my write up I was a busy boy last night, well really I was sleeping and trying to recover while not having access to a computer and visiting the missus parents but the time has arrived to finally get my arse in gear as they say and get this write up started.

After meeting Mr Al at a nearby food establishment that will renamed un-named for a pre-comp feed and refreshment we made our way over to Weeley caravan park where the competition was being held. Having been there before I was delighted to see it was a quite picturesque place, very well set out and felt welcoming as I suppose a holiday caravan park should do. We drove along making our way towards the reception where just before on a green to the right we could see a small crowd gathered and sure enough the event equipment set up and Mr Cherry's beaming face in the distance. We parked up and made our way over to sign in and warm up. Being a charity event I was rather looking forward to this as it was all for some good causes and for some reason this made me less nervous than usual. After getting ready into our nice new, shiny (not for long) white T-shirts, saying hello to everyone and have a go on the log it was time to get the party started as they say.

100kg Log FTOH for reps -

Now before the day I was dreading this as log has always been my nemesis but in the warm up I managed to strict one rep on the unloaded 80kg log which is a PB, so I was quitely confident of hitting my self prescribed 3 rep target but hoping to get 2 which is my previous best at this weight. I had the pleasure of going last and after seeing most people getting 4s and 5s, to say I was nervous is to say the least. Finally it was my turn and up I stepped praying that I could get at least 3!
I got the log set how I wanted and awaited the instructions and that start signal. The whistle sounded and off I went, the first clean felt very comfortable but that wasn't the bit I was worried about! So there it was sitting on my chest so I dipped my legs and drove it up, jumping into my newly developed split stance jerk type thing and to my surprise it went up pretty easily and so did the second! I was shocked by these first 2 reps but now the clean was feeling harder but I got it up there and managed to get the 3rd rep, down came the signal so I dropped it to the tyres and tried to catch my breath. 25 seconds came the call so I grasped the log sat into the clean and it went up relatively easy but by this time my shall we say piss poor cardio ability had kicked in and I was feeling gassed. I drove the log but couldn't lock it out but managed to catch on my chest in a comfortable position. I steadied myself, dipped the legs and drove it up catching it just right and squeezing out the press. 5 seconds left came the call again and decided to not even attempt it!

Really happy with that as I would be lucky with 3 so to get 4 was a miracle and a new reps PB Grin My efforts was good enough for joint second if I remember rightly?

110kg Farmers Walk over 20 metres -

The moving events have fast become favourite and probably my strongest events so I was looking forward to this one but when the one of the pins snapped off the equipment and the weight had to be clamped and duct taped on coupled with the fact that heavens had opened, I was dubious but was not going to let this deter me. I had the pleasure of going up a slight hill but this didn't bother me and I got set ready to start. The whistle went, I started the pick up which didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped so I knew I had to get motoring so off I went at what felt like a good pace, I was feeling good until 2 thirds of the way through to my horror I could feel my left hand opening and all I could think was 's**t i'm going to break the duct tape' so I clung on with all the might my finger tips could muster and broke the line.

I managed this in 12. something seconds which was good enough for 3rd place in the event.

220kg Olympic Bar Dealifts for reps -

This was the one I was dreading the most! Saying my deadlifting for reps is terrible is putting it nicely! I had never managed more than a double with this weight before but after hitting a 230kg double a couple of weeks previous so was hoping I could hit at least 3 and that I wouldn't be too far down in the points.

Being third in the event before meant I was up 5th so got to have a bit of a breather but it soon came round to my go. Up I stepped, wrapped my straps and tried to get psyched as possible. The first rep felt heavier than I would have liked it to but on the other hand it was the closest I've come to pulling this weight clean, having to hitch just a few inches before lock out. I went straight into the 2nd rep which was hitched like a good-un but know where near the monstrosity of a hitch the 3rd rep was which I didn't think was going up. I tried the 4th straigh after but stalled at the knee. I knelt down trying to get some air in and to let the back rest before trying again but alas again stuck at the knee and felt a slight twinge in the lower back and left it at that.

Was happy to get my 3 reps and never had high hopes of this event but another reps PB so can't complain Happy My 3 was enough for 5th place.

260kg Super Yoke 20 metres -

Now I was quietly confident with this one after doing a couple of runs with 250kg in training the week before, all feeling pretty fast and comfortable so I was relishing this event. I was up 3rd on this and after being the awkward person that I am and getting them to move the bar up for me I got set. The pick up felt good and clean and I was off and running. Remembering to squeeze in with my arms from the start this time, it all felt a lot more steady even when halfway down the course it felt like it was twisting and sliding down my right shoulder slightly, it still felt comfortable so in my stupidness I thought Hey why not try to speed up. Damn my cockiness! As I sped up and the sight of the line getting closer I tried to step up the pace slightly more and slipped dropping the yoke about 2 metres from the line but to my luck I managed to drop it and pick it up again in one motion and get it over the line.

My time was 14 seconds, good enough for 2nd place but have a feeling that slip cost me 1st place in this but hey ho you live and learn and it's another lesson learnt in my fledgling strongman career.

53kg Circus Dumbbell for reps -

I like this event, don't what it is about trying to put a big dumbbell over your head that makes it so satisfying but I do enjoy it. I had the privilege of going second from last and since we had just had a break I was well rested. I knew that 7 was the number to beat and 4 to get second place. When I first grabbed the dumbbell I was shocked how thick the handle was, it felt thicker than the big dumbbell at Hercules so this threw me off slightly, that coupled with the fact it was spherical at each end meaning it sat differently on your shoulder. I got it up to my shoulder set it and tried to regain my composure, dipped the legs and drove it up which to my joy had the dumbbell pop up and I got the lock pretty simple, straight down and straight back up for the second and third reps, the fourth was a bit more wobbly as didn't get the balance of the double right but all felt comfortable. I cleaned it for the 5th time and feeling a bit gassed now thought it was wise to make sure I was perfectly set. Again a dip of the leg and a little jump it was nearly up but had to force it to lock out and that was time.

Was happy with that a new PB and another 2nd place Happy

Arm Over Arm 2.5 tonne van pull -

Having never done this before but always wanting to try it I was glad this had been selected instead of a truck pull. I had the luxury of being second of last on this event so got to watch others try this and pick up some technique tips. Everyone managed it in what seemed like quick times and I was eager to give it a go so when my time came around I was full of anticipation, excitement and nerves from just hoping I can finish the event. After getting some final instructions on how to do this from the man himself, Mr Paul Cater. So I took the strain and waited for the start signal. The whistle sounded and I pulled with all my might and sat back, I managed to get into a nice rhythm and found the technique very natural to my shock, awe and happiness.

I seemed to complete it in what seemed like a fast time and I think I came second in this but actually have no idea of the placement on this.

And that was that, all events done was just a matter of a short wait while points were tallied ready for the presentation. To my delight I was joint 2nd overall on points but then that damn count back got me again and I was given 3rd overall. I guess it will have to be third time for me with countback Tongue Overall it was a well run, fun comp with a great set of lads and a cracking day out minus the rain. I would say it was my favourite comp so far and really did have a good day. Thank you to Mr Al, who put in a top performance coming 4th by 1 or 2 points I think?, for talking me into doing it.

So there is my write up good people Happy it's not my best but I hope you all enjoy just as much. Sorry again about the delay, good night and god bless.
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 18:18 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
ALWEBB72 said:great result mate well done

Same to you mate Happy think we've cracked it with our new training style! me and you on the podium next time.
chaosIcon...24-09-2012 @ 18:34 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Well done mate and another quality write up
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 18:38 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
chaos said:Well done mate and another quality write up

Thanks mate Happy
OxmanIcon...24-09-2012 @ 18:50 
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 11067 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 92.9kgs UnEq
Cracking work there mate and awesome write up! Sounds like you had a great time and did yourself proud! Damn good work!
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 18:52 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
Oxman said:Cracking work there mate and awesome write up! Sounds like you had a great time and did yourself proud! Damn good work!

Thanks mate was over the moon with my performance and the result Happy
ALWEBB72Icon...24-09-2012 @ 19:40 
Is wasting away !!! will be down to 30 stone soon
Member 1649, 2160 posts
SQ 290, BP 235, DL 325
850.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
great write up to go with your result,
Daws87Icon...24-09-2012 @ 19:46 
Member 3634, 2381 posts
SQ 227.5, BP 175, DL 250
652.5 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
ALWEBB72 said:great write up to go with your result,