Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
I said:Enviroment or genetics? see 2:29

Wait... Just wannted to post my second fav strongman in actionRoll-Eyes
SteveIcon...20-06-2014 @ 22:39 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Lionel_Rich_Tea said:well african nations arent that great at sprinting so im guessing its something to do with the fact the african americans jamaicans etc being descendants of slaves
as from what i understand the bigger stronger ones where encouraged/forced to breed together, think the fast twitch stuff is bulls**t as wouldnt every olympic weightlifter gold medalist be black too?

There have been a number of fairly good black weightlifters, but for some reason most of them seem to be very small waisted which can cause them to struggle overhead so perhaps whilst they might have the fast twitch muscle fibres there are other genetic traits working against them?
93hopkinsonrIcon...20-06-2014 @ 23:27 
Mr.Potato deadlift
Member 2675, 4637 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 300
800.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Off topic but nathan jones, (the man magnus Samuelson broke arm), served 7 years in prison and was one of Australia's most wanted men. He got into strengths sports in prison
deadlybuzzmanIcon...20-06-2014 @ 23:32 
Member 3975, 57 posts
SQ 180, BP 110, DL 200
490.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 20.06.2014 @ 23:33 PM by deadlybuzzman
There was an author on the bryan callen show that wrote a book partly about how much genetic potential plays in top level sports and athletics.
He said everyone that has ever ran a sub 10 second 100m has genetics relating back to the biafran coast which is a small stretch of West Africa.
He also said that while the rest of the world think of Kenyans as having an amazing ability for long distance running, it seems the ability mainly occurs in one particular tribe.
Other than those 2 examples as far as I remember he didn't find any other cases of particular populations being predisposed to be better at certain sports but also that it was undeniable that genetic freaks do pop up every so often that can train far less than everyone else and still be elite athletes and they can be from any race.
The reason you tend to see certain countries dominate in certain sports is mainly cultural. Eg. No top irish ice hockey players
dannyboy73Icon...21-06-2014 @ 08:51 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Off topic but an enjoyable fact.

93hopkinsonr said:Off topic but nathan jones, (the man magnus Samuelson broke arm), served 7 years in prison and was one of Australia's most wanted men. He got into strengths sports in prison
pandionIcon...21-06-2014 @ 13:44 
Member 2407, 219 posts
John said:That's strange I had a similar conversation with the gym owner.I said how come given the genetic potential in coloured folk how come there's hardly any in strongman espesialy in American he said and I quote three letter NFL. but if you think about it strongman winners are normally white Europeans or white Americans. Its difficult to talk about other races without somebody saying your racist sometimes but an observation is an observation.

Pretty much any athlete given a crack at NFL will go for it. Okoye is a perfect example of this and I'd bet any strongman, powerlifter, thrower would do the same seeing as they're poorly paid.
BillytheoldIcon...21-06-2014 @ 13:53 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
You can take a healthy child of any race as an infant and raise him or her in a controlled environment and make that human become a doctor, laborer, etc.. I believe labeling is racist!
DL1987Icon...21-06-2014 @ 15:15 
Member 5105, 667 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 270
655.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
People use the term racist far to often. Different people are suited to different things and race, age, gender and all other variables make a difference. Aswell as GENETICS!!
deadlybuzzmanIcon...22-06-2014 @ 19:50 
Member 3975, 57 posts
SQ 180, BP 110, DL 200
490.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Here's that interview I posted about earlier. The guy wrote the book The Sports Gene

http://bryancallen.com/2013/11/18/ep77-david-epstein/
macrothIcon...23-06-2014 @ 16:10 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Stereotyping based on skin colour, whether negatively or "positively" is as accurate and interesting as stereotyping based on hair colour or preferred brand of sunglasses.

How exactly does skin colour correlate with running speed? The darker your skin, the faster you are? What % of "black skin" genes do you need to be a good sprinter? Is having one transantlatic slavery victim ancestor on your mother's side enough, or do you need two on your father's side, and would being 10% Irish (who's ever heard of a good Irish sprinter??) negate all that genetic advantage? If a fellow is of African-American descent but is a poor dancer, never cracked 14s over 100m and has a PhD in biochemistry, is he too slow, too smart and not groovy enough to be still considered "Black"?

Roll-Eyes
deadlybuzzmanIcon...23-06-2014 @ 22:05 
Member 3975, 57 posts
SQ 180, BP 110, DL 200
490.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
macroth said:

How exactly does skin colour correlate with running speed? The darker your skin, the faster you are?

Roll-Eyes

That's an odd connection to make . I refer to the author finding athletic outliers only for 2 sports in only 2 specific regions, skin colours irrelevant, the rest of Africa's in the same genetic boat as the rest of the world.
FazcIcon...23-06-2014 @ 22:08 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots.
unit94Icon...23-06-2014 @ 22:24 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
macroth said:Stereotyping based on skin colour, whether negatively or "positively" is as accurate and interesting as stereotyping based on hair colour or preferred brand of sunglasses.

How exactly does skin colour correlate with running speed? The darker your skin, the faster you are? What % of "black skin" genes do you need to be a good sprinter? Is having one transantlatic slavery victim ancestor on your mother's side enough, or do you need two on your father's side, and would being 10% Irish (who's ever heard of a good Irish sprinter??) negate all that genetic advantage? If a fellow is of African-American descent but is a poor dancer, never cracked 14s over 100m and has a PhD in biochemistry, is he too slow, too smart and not groovy enough to be still considered "Black"?

Roll-Eyes

Stupid post
SteveIcon...23-06-2014 @ 22:49 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Billytheold said:You can take a healthy child of any race as an infant and raise him or her in a controlled environment and make that human become a doctor, laborer, etc.. I believe labeling is racist!

Nothing to do with race, but I believe this is completely untrue. Some people are born with less genetic learning ability and don't have the potential to ever become doctors (or other similar professionals).
rushendIcon...23-06-2014 @ 23:40 
Member 4154, 15 posts
unit94 said:
Stupid post

ah...I've got to disagree. I don't see that as a stupid post at all. Maybe a bit too tongue in cheek though (Sorry Macroth!).

Look, there's probably just a few ways to explain the success of black sprinters (and let's be clear, more or less just the 100m). A lot of people see the high numbers of black athletes in finals and use some kind of 'natural' science to explain it. This way of thinking also underpins how they might explain the amount of sub10 runners of black descent.That's why there are the theories relating to genetics, yams, or whatever. Some other people might look to explain it through psychology. This point of view puts forward the belief that some people are better suited to the pressures of such short races, and can be 'explained' through the dominance of Caribbean sprinters and what some think is a more laid back demeanour.

The other way of explaining it is through the use of sociology. Put simply, this way of explaining the high amount of black sprinters in finals etc., particularly in the American and European context, is because of a wider system of coaching, talent identification pathways, and opportunities to succeed that are underpinned (sometimes at very subtle levels) by preconceived judgements about sprinting (or in the cases of many sports - positional ability) being limited to 'black' athletes. In other words, coaches, people in positions to choose athletes, heck even PE teachers, will direct athletes to certain types of sports or playing positions based on their beliefs and racial stereotypes. It's called 'stacking'.

I've tried to explain this sociological approach/explanation to some people before. Sometimes they appreciate the 'wider picture', and sometimes people just can't see past the 'numbers' and let's face it, their beliefs. So maybe it's worth thinking through a few other things...

For instance, how come the 100m National Records for Germany, Italy, and Poland are around 30+ years old? Surely with the increases in training knowledge etc. they would have advanced?

Oh, by the way, there are two sprinters of non-African descent who have gone sub 10. Lemaitre and Patrick Johnson. There's also about 7/8 'white' guys who have done it wind assisted. And overall, probably about 30 'not black' guys who have gone sub 10.10. In a fair few of these cases a favourable wind reading would have resulted in a sub 10 reading. So the sub 10 mark is not quite as cut and dried as people think!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions